oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So last 48 hours of the window, we've targeted Johnson ahead of Kent/Jota and a hoopla's been made about when Arry will let us have the pleasure of signing Shotton?

Well we bid for Jota last week, before we'd put an offer in for Johnson, so we haven't targeted him 'ahead' of Jota at all. Several sources are saying he wants to stay in the south, so that more than likely has a lot to do with it.

Plus they play on different sides. Jota may have been considered as an alternative to Traore, rather than to Johnson.

I mean we went for Kent well before Jota I'm not talking chronologically I'm saying for a guy at Oxford who has been available at around the 2 million mark all summer the fact we're signing him near the deadline speaks volumes for where he must be on our list. I don't think it's a stretch saying that we have failed in the Kent/Jota pursuit and are looking at a contingency in Johnson.

When we write out our squad tomorrow at 11.01pm we might have two wingers if we keep Traore with Johnson but I refuse to put Braithwaite/Fletcher/Bamford down as wingers they're strikers that's all I'd say on it when we assess our window tomorrow. We've all decried our wing options for years and we could end up pining for the days of Stuani RW is all I'm saying it's a bold recruitment move by the club we'll see if it works out but I don't want more of the 'we tried to get Jota and Kent for the wing alas it was too hard' type stories we've seen before in September on Deulofeu and in January on Snodgrass that's what I absolutely don't want the Gazette to be writing in a couple of days there's 1000's of wingers in the world the fact we'll end up with Johnson alone is a decision they are comfortable with now August 30th they'll have to stay comfortable with it in a month I'm sick of the post window stories the Gazette has thrown out lately where the club feeds them the 'poor little Boro oh woe us' line.

So last 48 hours of the window, we've targeted Johnson ahead of Kent/Jota and a hoopla's been made about when Arry will let us have the pleasure of signing Shotton?

Well we bid for Jota last week, before we'd put an offer in for Johnson, so we haven't targeted him 'ahead' of Jota at all. Several sources are saying he wants to stay in the south, so that more than likely has a lot to do with it.

Plus they play on different sides. Jota may have been considered as an alternative to Traore, rather than to Johnson.

I mean we went for Kent well before Jota I'm not talking chronologically I'm saying for a guy at Oxford who has been available at around the 2 million mark all summer the fact we're signing him near the deadline speaks volumes for where he must be on our list. I don't think it's a stretch saying that we have failed in the Kent/Jota pursuit and are looking at a contingency in Johnson.

When we write out our squad tomorrow at 11.01pm we might have two wingers if we keep Traore with Johnson but I refuse to put Braithwaite/Fletcher/Bamford down as wingers they're strikers that's all I'd say on it when we assess our window tomorrow. We've all decried our wing options for years and we could end up pining for the days of Stuani RW is all I'm saying it's a bold recruitment move by the club we'll see if it works out but I don't want more of the 'we tried to get Jota and Kent for the wing alas it was too hard' type stories we've seen before in September on Deulofeu and in January on Snodgrass that's what I absolutely don't want the Gazette to be writing in a couple of days there's 1000's of wingers in the world the fact we'll end up with Johnson alone is a decision they are comfortable with now August 30th they'll have to stay comfortable with it in a month I'm sick of the post window stories the Gazette has thrown out lately where the club feeds them the 'poor little Boro oh woe us' line.

Yeah I agree with that, Johnson smacks of being a) a panic buy, or b) our last resort.

If we genuinely want wide players and have done since January what have we been doing behind the scenes for the last 8 months?

I don't believe this is the best player we could have attracted here. There's something badly wrong with our scouting department.

Agree Bamford, Braithwaite, Fletcher are all Strikers. I don't think its good that we are trying to fit them all into a system . square pegs.

Someone alluded to it earlier but i think Pep Clotet being manager of Oxford and best pals with monk is the reason for us signing him. My Oxford supporting pal said that he has been refusing to play the last few weeks as he wants a move, so they must have been resigned to losing him. Thus leading Pep to get on the blower to his old mate Garry.

Someone alluded to it earlier but i think Pep Clotet being manager of Oxford and best pals with monk is the reason for us signing him. My Oxford supporting pal said that he has been refusing to play the last few weeks as he wants a move, so they must have been resigned to losing him.  Thus leading Pep to get on the blower to his old mate Garry.

Didn't he do that at Motherwell before getting a move to Oxford.  He sounds like a bit of a TW4T, regardless of how good or bad he is.

Well if that's going to be the end of the business I am happy. The squad looks fresh and has all the ingredients needed for a successful season. The question has to be though can Monk get whats needed from them. We will either click or do a Villa.

So Gazette are now saying that after Shotton and Johnson no more in. Potentially Downing still could go. But no more for deadline day if these 2 are announced today.

GK: Randolph Dimi Mejias

RB: Christie Roberts

CB: Gibson Fry Ayala Shotton

LB: Friend Fabio

RW/RF: Traore Bamford Fletcher...?Tavernier

CM: Clayton Howson Leadbitter Forshaw

LW/LF: Braithwaite Downing Johnson

AM: Baker

ST: Assombalonga Bamford Gestede Fletcher Braitwaite

I think the lack of an attacking midfielder other than Baker could mean that if he gets injured we play a 3-4-3 with 2 holding midfielders ala Chelsea/Wolves, this lad Johnson seems like a good LWB option for that system. That may be why Monk was testing a back 3 against Preston. The way I see the starting 11:

Randolph

Christie  Ayala    Gibson    Friend/Fabio

Clayton

Howson     

Baker

Bamford                         Braithwaite

Assombalonga

Someone alluded to it earlier but i think Pep Clotet being manager of Oxford and best pals with monk is the reason for us signing him. My Oxford supporting pal said that he has been refusing to play the last few weeks as he wants a move, so they must have been resigned to losing him. Thus leading Pep to get on the blower to his old mate Garry.

Echo said hes been out since 12th August with hamstring inuury. Wonder if hes "injured" when he arrives here.

Being from Oxford, my local landlord and mates rate Johnson highly but say he's not very loyal. Been wanting away for a bit. Most Oxford fans I know think its a good bit of business for Oxford but some reckon its a steal due to the sell on clauses etc. they have to pass on to Motherwell I think.

At 26 I thinks he's a gamble on a squad played untried at this level.