oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

The club didn't even say they would be transparent about everything, that's a complete myth. They said they are 'keen' and they will 'endeavour' to provide transparency, but as Gibson himself said:

We want to be as open as possible with the fans, but know they will appreciate there are occasions when the inappropriate or premature release of information can be detrimental to getting a deal completed.

They've never once said they will provide the facts for every deal. It's just what everyone who's annoyed on the Gazette's behalf have read from their two written statements. Because they chose to step out for this one article and correct two fees mentioned.

The only thing they guaranteed was that the 'most accurate and up to date information' would be provided by the club website. And what's changed there? That's always been the case.

You're fighting a losing battle mate. "As open as possible" doesn't include not telling us costs of players. They could give us the costs. It really is that simple. Other clubs announce fees. We could. That makes the club more open than now so they aren't being as open as possible. Simple.

Jesus wept, I've even bolded the two bits of information from Gibson's quote that actually make a difference to his statement and what you should expect and the only bit you've read is the bit that is in plain text. Talk about missing the point.

How can announcing the cost of the deal be detrimental to the deal being completed? Once the deal is done it's done. How can releasing the cost hurt the deal then??? What the statement should read us

"I won't let anyone know the cost when i don't want to. I understand that this is contradictory to the previous sentence but...well...tough"

It can be detrimental if keeping the fee quiet is part of getting the deal done with the other club. The club might be in a position of needing to sell but not wanting to tell the fans the fee is lower than they might have hoped, so confidentiality clause inserted in order for the deal to proceed. After the deal is done, you abide by the confidentiality clause.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ryan Kent has gone to Germany after all £1million plus all his wages

I don't think Kent would make or break our season. He'd be on the bench at best.

We have enough to go up. It's been a great summer of business.

We've cleared out a lot of the dross and brought in some good players.

Let's hope Monk can sort the team out (it will be pretty obvious what team to pick with a fully fit squad).

Got a feeling we're shortly going to go on a 10-11 game winning run.

UTB

The club didn't even say they would be transparent about everything, that's a complete myth. They said they are 'keen' and they will 'endeavour' to provide transparency, but as Gibson himself said:

They've never once said they will provide the facts for every deal. It's just what everyone who's annoyed on the Gazette's behalf have read from their two written statements. Because they chose to step out for this one article and correct two fees mentioned.

The only thing they guaranteed was that the 'most accurate and up to date information' would be provided by the club website. And what's changed there? That's always been the case.

You're fighting a losing battle mate. "As open as possible" doesn't include not telling us costs of players. They could give us the costs. It really is that simple. Other clubs announce fees. We could. That makes the club more open than now so they aren't being as open as possible. Simple.

Jesus wept, I've even bolded the two bits of information from Gibson's quote that actually make a difference to his statement and what you should expect and the only bit you've read is the bit that is in plain text. Talk about missing the point.

How can announcing the cost of the deal be detrimental to the deal being completed? Once the deal is done it's done. How can releasing the cost hurt the deal then??? What the statement should read us

"I won't let anyone know the cost when i don't want to. I understand that this is contradictory to the previous sentence but...well...tough"

It can be detrimental if keeping the fee quiet is part of getting the deal done with the other club. The club might be in a position of needing to sell but not wanting to tell the fans the fee is lower than they might have hoped, so confidentiality clause inserted in order for the deal to proceed. After the deal is done, you abide by the confidentiality clause.

And all of these deals coincidently involve Middlesbrough....strange that 90% of the deals that involve us have these clauses but only 23% (random figure selected but the real number is much smaller than 90%) of all deals contain one.....

So say you have 2 deals on the go at the same time, 2 different players, 2 different clubs, both close to signing for your club.

One of them gets done, you lose 'x' amount of money from that deal which is sent to Club A. We publish that information. Most sources think you spent £8m before you let the public know it was £5m.

Club B check out how much 'x' is, realise that compared to what they expected it's a bit less, so think you have an extra £3m in the bank. Club B raise 'y' by up to £3m, holding off any deal until you respond, forcing further negotiation where a deal was considered done. Would you consider that detrimental? I know I would.

And all of these deals coincidently involve Middlesbrough....strange that 90% of the deals that involve us have these clauses but only 23% (random figure selected but the real number is much smaller than 90%) of all deals contain one.....

Who cares. Why is it a thing. What good would it do us to know apart from being nosey

So far a brilliant window with decent money for players we didn't want to keep reinvested in some decent first 11 signings plus some bench options and even a few for the future. Oh and so far kept hold of the players we wanted to keep. What's not to like.

What's not to like .........your opening up a can of worms there mate :)

So say you have 2 deals on the go at the same time, 2 different players, 2 different clubs, both close to signing for your club.

One of them gets done, you lose 'x' amount of money from that deal which is sent to Club A. We publish that information. Most sources think you spent £8m before you let the public know it was £5m.

Club B check out how much 'x' is, realise that compared to what they expected it's a bit less, so think you have an extra £3m in the bank. Club B raise 'y' by up to £3m, holding off any deal until you respond, forcing further negotiation where a deal was considered done. Would you consider that detrimental? I know I would.

Well in that very handily engineered situation the thing to do would be to not announce the fees until both are done, then announce them. Really easy to get around.

Well in that very handily engineered situation the thing to do would be to not announce the fees until both are done, then announce them. Really easy to get around.

But why do you want to know what good will it do ??

So all other clubs get it wrong?? Must do. Our transfer policy must be the way to go. I mean come on. Even if you follow this rule then announce the amounts after the window closes. No longer detrimental to any deal ever.

The simple fact is we have made several signings over the past 5 seasons that were undisclosed fees. The amounts paid are not detrimental to any deals now at all. If we are as 'open as possible' all of these would now be made public. Guess what..they won't be. We will never know. And again the question I have is "why does the club want to keep this a secret?"

But that's it on the matter from me.

Who cares. Why is it a thing. What good would it do us to know apart from being nosey

I'm with you Rich.

We're not in Germany. We don't own 51% of the club. We're not shareholders. We shouldn't expect to be informed of all the details of a private company.

What I'm saying is, if you don't like it, make a *** load of cash and buy the club!

And if you did, I'm betting you wouldn't publish all the details of all transactions, for so many reasons that would become apparent once you're the owner of a multi-million pound company.

Just enjoy the footie.

UTB