oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

So far a brilliant window with decent money for players we didn't want to keep reinvested in some decent first 11 signings plus some bench options and even a few for the future. Oh and so far kept hold of the players we wanted to keep. What's not to like.

What's not to like .........your opening up a can of worms there mate :)

Totally agree with 86,we would have been well pleased with this squad 3 months ago,alot of upgrades as far as I'm concerned!

So quit moaning on.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who cares. Why is it a thing. What good would it do us to know apart from being nosey

I'm with you Rich.

We're not in Germany. We don't own 51% of the club. We're not shareholders. We shouldn't expect to be informed of all the details of a private company.

What I'm saying is, if you don't like it, make a *** load of cash and buy the club!

And if you did, I'm betting you wouldn't publish all the details of all transactions, for so many reasons that would become apparent once you're the owner of a multi-million pound company.

Just enjoy the footie.

UTB

It's as if some people can't sleep till they know if Johnson was 2.5 or 2.6 mill. I don't understand why clubs don't say as it's in the end of yr accounts but I'm even more confused why supporters need to know

Not sure if it'd involve us but a few hours ago it did make the rounds Swansea made Montero and Routledge available for loan with Burnley turning down the opportunity, like many on here I've loved the idea of Montero in a Boro shirt for years but I just don't see either of them you can imagine them holding out for a PL opportunity.

So say you have 2 deals on the go at the same time, 2 different players, 2 different clubs, both close to signing for your club.

One of them gets done, you lose 'x' amount of money from that deal which is sent to Club A. We publish that information. Most sources think you spent £8m before you let the public know it was £5m.

Club B check out how much 'x' is, realise that compared to what they expected it's a bit less, so think you have an extra £3m in the bank. Club B raise 'y' by up to £3m, holding off any deal until you respond, forcing further negotiation where a deal was considered done. Would you consider that detrimental? I know I would.

Well in that very handily engineered situation the thing to do would be to not announce the fees until both are done, then announce them. Really easy to get around.

And yet surely we both know that transfer dealings aren't regularly limited to 2 players. Multiple irons in the fire and all that. That's also not including the needs of other clubs in similar situations and thus potentially propagate outwards. There's no reason it can't affect dealings in future windows too.

At the end of the day, I personally agree with what Rich is saying too. I honestly don't see what 95% of us really get out of knowledge of transfer fees. I don't see the real positives in any club doing it. At the end of the day, we're not the only club that do it, no matter how much Tudders seems to want to make us believe we are. And if the club says not releasing that information, the information we really don't need to know, is beneficial to our dealings, why should I or anyone complain?

Not sure if it'd involve us but a few hours ago it did make the rounds Swansea made Montero and Routledge available for loan with Burnley turning down the opportunity, like many on here I've loved the idea of Montero in a Boro shirt for years but I just don't see either of them you can imagine them holding out for a PL opportunity.

They can't hold out for long it closes in 2 hrs

With the signing of Johnson, the links to other wide players and keeping Traore should we read anything into this with regards to the system?

Is Monk admitting that things haven't worked? Are we on the verge of verge of changing systems or are we just looking for different options off the bench?

With the signing of Johnson, the links to other wide players and keeping Traore should we read anything into this with regards to the system?

Is Monk admitting that things haven't worked? Are we on the verge of verge of changing systems or are we just looking for different options off the bench?

I think going on what we've seen so far, the formation isn't something that means a great deal in a Garry Monk team. We've played 4-1-2-3, 4-1-2-1-2, 4-1-4-1... I think it's more about the philosophy of the way we play, that it should be adaptable to any system. Perhaps that's even one of the main problems we've had so far and what makes it so difficult for the players to get used to, though playing a LB at LW and CM at RW doesn't help.

I think it's all about different options in general, hopefully better options to fit whatever shape we do play. That way, we can pick a formation that suits playing against the opposition, we can pick a team that suits the formation and play as we try to do in every game with the same philosophy.

Different options. I think. I hope we plan to set up differently when we face teams that come at us, as opposed to those that sit back and park the bus. It was a lack of such tactical flexibility that made promotion such a close run thing under Karanka, in my opinion.

Burnley apparently got Nahki Wells for £5 million. If accurate that's a great deal for Burnley in this inflated market. They sold Gray for around £17 million so have replaced him for a fraction of that price. Dyche/Burnley are very shrewd and effective in the transfer market.

I don't actually mind a manager being stubborn if it's working which it did most of the time under Karanka. Our promotion season ended up being a close run thing but I think that was more to do with the off field issues rather than tactics.

I tend to agree that these signings and links suggest we are going to be more flexible with our approach. I know a lot of people on this forum like the 433 line up but I think there are times when it won't work. Away from home we've been overrun in midfield a bit and I wouldn't be against playing more of a 451 formation with 2 natural wide players in certain games.

Looking at the window overall we've done pretty well, I would have liked to see a Jota type player but we must still have one of the strongest squads in the division. It's all down to whether you think Garry Monk is able to get the best out of us, I have my doubts based on what I've seen so far but time will tell.

Burnley apparently got Nahki Wells for £5 million. If accurate that's a great deal for Burnley in this inflated market. They sold Gray for around £17 million so have replaced him for a fraction of that price. Dyche/Burnley are very shrewd and effective in the transfer market.

Are you forgetting Chris Wood?