oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Window shuts and that's it. The media is stuffed with stories and there is an abundance of theory's and expectation. It's fascinating to see a club virtually change a full team but that's what happened and we retained some key players. There was no big club offers for Gibson which states to me he has been overly rated, which is good for BORO. No signed super stars, so it goes to show how disjointed the club was when we buy ten players of average standard just to compete, and that is all we may be able to achieve, compete. Monk has been backed to the hilt and has little or no excuse but to accumulate points, something he has failed to do so far. It's time for Monk to prove himself, he must! This seasons roller coaster has been slow and bumpy, so lets hope the remainder is a toe curling ride.

There was plenty of offers for Gibson, they were all rejected.

I think you're the most defeatist person I have ever seen on here. That or you're a troll/WUM.

Will i fail to see what exactly you quote that make me a defeatist. I'll expand a little on Gibson in that I stated no BIG (six) CLUB OFFERS and should they have been he may well have left. Which could also mean they did not rate him as high as we have. However as I stated that's good news for us.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have had bids from Gibson I know that 100%. The bonus for us is that he didn't want to leave his hometown club unless it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If this was a young centre back with no affinity to the area he would have gone no doubt.

This is the truth. Gibbo at the start of summer asked to be kept in the loop with regards to bids... wanted to move if it was good with him. Sat down with uncle Steve and was told to stay until Jan at least and see where we are at... if we are miles off the pace he will be allowed to leave im sure of that... club then decided 2-3 weeks before window shut that we would not entertain any bids for Gibbo and Ben agreed. West Brom hounded us over him as did Leicester and ever though City enquiried it went no further than that. Really successful window in my eyes. Deadwood gone... wage bill realigned , strikers we were all desperate for and even though I still not happy with how we went about getting a move we have kept Traore and added a LW and still have Braithwaite to return. Keep the faith it will come good. Our squad depth will be key as games start coming thick and fast. UTB

Window shuts and that's it. The media is stuffed with stories and there is an abundance of theory's and expectation. It's fascinating to see a club virtually change a full team but that's what happened and we retained some key players. There was no big club offers for Gibson which states to me he has been overly rated, which is good for BORO. No signed super stars, so it goes to show how disjointed the club was when we buy ten players of average standard just to compete, and that is all we may be able to achieve, compete. Monk has been backed to the hilt and has little or no excuse but to accumulate points, something he has failed to do so far. It's time for Monk to prove himself, he must! This seasons roller coaster has been slow and bumpy, so lets hope the remainder is a toe curling ride.

I think you're the most defeatist person I have ever seen on here. That or you're a troll/WUM.

Will i fail to see what exactly you quote that make me a defeatist. I'll expand a little on Gibson in that I stated no BIG (six) CLUB OFFERS and should they have been he may well have left. Which could also mean they did not rate him as high as we have. However as I stated that's good news for us.

How do you know there were no big clubs making offers? You're making assumptions based on nothing. Let's look at what we know to be true; ***nal were looking for a CB, City were looking for a CB, Liverpool were looking for a CB. Are you really trying to tell me they haven't made contact with us about Gibson? Logically they would have made contact and probably put speculative bids in, I happen to know that we turned down an offer from more than one of those teams. The clubs position after talking to Ben at the end of last season was that he wouldn't be sold unless a ridiculous offer came in (Iwas told £35m was our minimum).

Guess the only real question that remains is how will Traore respond to not being able to leave.

I hope he proves himself able to get his head down and work now. I imagine this will be something revisited in January regardless.

In a way it's no lose. If he plays well we've gained a player if he throws his toys out well big deal he hasn't done anything anyway

How do you know there were no big clubs making offers? You're making assumptions based on nothing. Let's look at what we know to be true; ***nal were looking for a CB, City were looking for a CB, Liverpool were looking for a CB. Are you really trying to tell me they haven't made contact with us about Gibson? Logically they would have made contact and probably put speculative bids in, I happen to know that we turned down an offer from more than one of those teams. The clubs position after talking to Ben at the end of last season was that he wouldn't be sold unless a ridiculous offer came in (Iwas told £35m was our minimum).

"I happen to know we turned down an offer from more than one of those teams" - LOL, of course you do buddy.

Do you "happen to know it" because you think it somehow helps to prove your point?

The fact is, that whilst there was speculation about interest from the very top teams, there were no firm bids that were made public - unlike with some lesser teams like West Brom.

"I happen to know we turned down an offer from more than one of those teams" - LOL, of course you do buddy.

Do you "happen to know it" because you think it somehow helps to prove your point?

The fact is, that whilst there was speculation about interest from the very top teams, there were no firm bids that were made public - unlike with some lesser teams like West Brom.

Choose to believe it or not, doesn't matter a jot to me.

Go back to sticking pins in your Karanka voodoo doll.

The best way to not be wound up by a wum is to ignore. Do you go on Facebook and reply to every comment on our Facebook page? They are all wums or just idiots in general. I choose not to pay attention as they bore me.

Great transfer window imo, despite us not spending much at all. As said before I think the media make Gibson out to have thrown the kitchen sink at this when actually the outlay is minimal. However, definitely have a squad that should be challenging for top 2. Hopefully we are very close at Christmas and then actual funds will be made available to get us over the line.

UTB

Out of 10 I'd give us an 8 for the window which is an improvement on last summers and January but we still have a couple of gaps in our squad for me. Creativity should not be a problem we have a 50 million pound strikeforce that alone should be enough, we've ditched 4231 so Ramirez's replacement Baker will more likely be a free roaming 8 from midfield and Howson will have to show me what he does eventually I'd assume so our midfield is stronger on the whole but us not replacing De Roon with a physical tall midfielder to hold us better in away games might be a mistake to me.

I still think we're 1 winger short as well which is a shame especially if we persist with Bamford/Braithwaite on wings but maybe Monk sees us developing into that formation without wingers still it's his call to make. Gibson's a positive I guess especially for Fry's development keeping Ben around as Fry gets more gametime will only help guide Fry for me, Shotton's good cover for us as is Fabio I mean defensively we seem well covered. Still think our midfield lacks a little variety but like I said the 50 million pound strikeforce should cover scoring all the 3 will have to do most weeks is run and they can all run and square the ball to a fullback. I'm personally getting to a point with Friend where I'd drop him for a few games because when he's out there he tends to command the ball a lot on one of his marauding runs either into a crowd or a poor cross I think I'd stick with Fabio for now.

Key players this season for me are Gibson, Randolph, Braithwaite, Assambalonga and Howson if they all step up to their reputation they can drag us out of this league. Howson's history of goals from midfield not so much his passing range is why he's there we have lacked a goal scoring mid for years and he's supposed to be the guy to do it for us there'll be tough games against rivals where we'll need him to step up. Baker/Bamford/Fletcher/Traore/Fry are bonuses here they all can have an impact as well it's how well Monk can work with them and get them all developing and firing for the team. I know Fletcher's won no fans yet but I look at him like I looked at Bamford in January when he arrived he looks off the pace and not quite sharp but like Bamford he hasn't kicked a ball in a competitive match for a while so I'm going to give him time myself you can see he has the raw attributes in games it's his technique and decisions letting him down at the minute I think he'll come good myself. Adama will have to be crowbarred in the team soon by Monk as well we can't just abandon developing him or next summer our asking price will be 5 million he's the ultimate enigma granted but just as we all know why top clubs haven't come sniffing yet for Adama we all can see why they would if he just had more of an end product he'll be an interesting one to watch. From our last promotion I think we are much stronger up front, in midfield and defence/GK the only thing I question is whether the Ayala of 2 years ago is still there he was a monster for us that year but I still question his desire and how much he wants it again to be told by the club when we get promoted that we're going for Subotic to replace him/or Chambers psychologically I don't see how that's not on Ayala's mind all season.