oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Spurs spent 30 million on that horrible Sissoko to be backup. Money is not an issue and the know they need quality in depth to compete in all competition. Gibson is good enough for the Prem and will likely get plenty of gametime.

I never said money was an issue, it's Tottenhams reluctance to spend it on a back up that is. I've championed Gibson all year so don't need to be told that he's good enough for them Prem, I just highly doubt Spurs will be where he ends up.

I'm not trying to convince you that Gibson is good enough for the Prem, as everyone knows it, I was just trying to say that if he moves there he is likely to get plenty of gametime. Maybe not as first choice for the biggest games or in the CL, but I think he'll comfortably get at least 20 games over the season and even more if he impresses. And definately if the frequently play three at the back. It is also a posibility that some of the bigges clubs will eventually go for Vertonghen and Aldeweireld and when that happens they have a ready made replacement in their squad, It's just good management. 

I used Sissoko as an example of just how prepared Spurs are to pay that kind of money on someone who isn't going to be a starter.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NE are running a story today that Monk is set to bid for Assombalonga. I can read the entire story but someone might be able to. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15360444.Middlesbrough__Garry_Monk_weighing_up_attacking_options_with_Forest_man_in_sights/

Someone on FMTTM said earlier that there would be such a story today in the NE and other papers and that Assombalonga will cost 15 mil. I'd be very happy with him.

No but it's weird that all these people think he's rubbish yet 2 premier league teams are already after him.

A lot of people think Phil Jones is rubbish and he plays for Manchester United... It's about people forming opinions based on what they see as oppose to making them based on a big name club being interested.

I know very well what I've seen thank you.

And so do I thanks. And I won't be bothered to see home gone. Opinions, eh?

NE are running a story today that Monk is set to bid for Assombalonga. I can read the entire story but someone might be able to. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15360444.Middlesbrough__Garry_Monk_weighing_up_attacking_options_with_Forest_man_in_sights/

Someone on FMTTM said earlier that there would be such a story today in the NE and other papers and that Assombalonga will cost 15 mil. I'd be very happy with him.

Here you go, BD:

MIDDLESBROUGH manager Garry Monk is ready to test Nottingham Forest’s resolve by making a move for striker Britt Assombalonga after Jason Cummings’ move to the City Ground was completed.

One of Monk’s priorities is to strengthen his attacking options after inheriting a squad which has lost Alvaro Negredo after the completion of his loan from Valencia.

And the Boro boss is hoping the arrival of Cummings could heighten the chances of Forest offloading Assombalonga.

There is plenty of interest in the 24-year-old, who scored 14 goals in a struggling Nottingham Forest side even though there was a feeling he was not even at the peak of his powers after injury problems.

Tentative Premier League interest will make it hard for Boro, while Forest manager Mark Warburton has not ruled out doing everything to keep him following a change of ownership at the club.

But Boro chairman Steve Gibson is looking to give Monk the best possible chance of securing a quick return to the Premier League and Assombalonga is high in the list attacking targets.

A £15m valuation has already been suggested for the former Peterborough United frontman who has scored 30 goals in 65 appearances for Forest.

He has been tipped for even greater things provided he can stay fit and has proven himself at Championship level.

Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome has long been admired by Boro's recruitment team and also remains a viable - and much cheaper – alternative.

Assombalonga still has four more years to run on the contract he signed last summer at the City Ground, while the more experienced Jerome has two seasons to run on his existing deal.

Monk is looking at all areas and weighing up options to improve his squad in a variety of positions, while he is also aware there is Premier League interest in some of his players.

But Gibson is in no rush or mood to sell to reduce his squad unless he feels necessary and essential to Monk’s own plans.

Monk is still to make progress on the recruitment front, although he is thought to be a lot closer to make the changes to his backroom team that he wants.

Boro expect to confirm James Beattie and Darryl Flahavan have followed him to the Riverside from Elland Road, casting doubts over the futures of Steve Agnew, Jonathan Woodgate and Leo Percovich. Pep Clodet, however, is unlikely to move from Yorkshire.

#thfc are considering acting upon their initial interest in signing Middlesbrough centre-back Ben Gibson. It would take something close to £30m to sign #thfc target Ben Gibson. [Daily Mail]

Jelle Vossen to Leeds United doing the rounds on Twitter.

We should be all over that, I really do not think he was given enough time with us due to circumstances, he is exactly what we need for a attacking mid-fielder and would work well with Bamford and Gestede

Would anyone take Mo Diame from the barcodes? I think he's the type of midfielder we need, someone who can drive forwards with the ball and has a good finish on him.

When he's interested, he's the best player on the pitch. He can sulk a lot though. Incredibly powerful and skillful. I'd take him, but it would have to be a good price for us

#thfc are considering acting upon their initial interest in signing Middlesbrough centre-back Ben Gibson. It would take something close to £30m to sign #thfc target Ben Gibson. [Daily Mail]

Jelle Vossen to Leeds United doing the rounds on Twitter.

We should be all over that, I really do not think he was given enough time with us due to circumstances, he is exactly what we need for a attacking mid-fielder and would work well with Bamford and Gestede

I'd defo take him back. I thought he was severely underrated

Vickers tweeting about Assombalonga scoring a last minute winner against Villa in one of our early games. Think it may be slightly further along than we think, he's favourite to come here over staying at forest on SkyBet.

If Chelsea want to buy Adama, all the more reason for keeping him.

I don't get this.   Are you saying we don't know a player till Chelsea say they like him

Nah, of course not. But you must admit that opinion is very divided on his worth. My point is that interest from top PL clubs is more the reason to hang onto him and develop his potential at Boro. Why let other clubs reap the (potential) benefits?

After all, we have been repeatedly assured that money is not an issue.

I would like to disagree if I may :)

If average Prem teams come in for him we will probably get a reasonable amount for him so it probably would be worth keeping him. I doubt his value would go down from that much and may go up a lot

But, if the likes of Chelsea come in the chances are the fee would probably go up a huge amount. In that case I'm not sure it's worth the risk keeping him

I don't get this.   Are you saying we don't know a player till Chelsea say they like him

Nah, of course not. But you must admit that opinion is very divided on his worth. My point is that interest from top PL clubs is more the reason to hang onto him and develop his potential at Boro. Why let other clubs reap the (potential) benefits?

If average Prem teams come in for him we will probably get a reasonable amount for him so it probably would be worth keeping him.  I doubt his value would go down from that much and may go up a lot

But, if the likes of Chelsea come in the chances are the fee would probably go up a huge amount.  In that case I'm not sure it's worth the risk keeping him

If he fails to produce in the championship interest and value will plummet. Either we take the money now or hope he changes as a player for the coming season. Difficult situation. Wages probably influences any decision too. Wonder how much he is on after relegation.

EverythingMFC‏ @EverythingMFC

Boro have expressed an interest in #dcfc defender Cyrus Christie, who is available for around £1.5m. #boro [Telegraph]

Boro have expressed an interest in #dcfc defender Cyrus Christie, who is available for around £1.5m. #boro [Telegraph]

i'd take him for that amount

i'd take him for that amount

According to Transfermarkt his contract is running out this month.

If average Prem teams come in for him we will probably get a reasonable amount for him so it probably would be worth keeping him.  I doubt his value would go down from that much and may go up a lot

But, if the likes of Chelsea come in the chances are the fee would probably go up a huge amount.  In that case I'm not sure it's worth the risk keeping him

If he fails to produce in the championship interest and value will plummet. Either we take the money now or hope he changes as a player for the coming season. Difficult situation. Wages probably influences any decision too. Wonder how much he is on after relegation.

There will always be someone willing to give 5 mill or so just because of what he could possibly do. Football managers have huge confidence in. Their own ability. I'm sure they all believe they can make him the player others can't