oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Non regulars downing and traore with the 7th and 13th most mins this season....

Yippee!  This again  :rolleyes:

Firstly, rankings aren't a great way of looking at it as you could have a big squad where lots of people have had some game time but everyone has been in an out of the side.  But anyway I'll play along.

Let's start with Traore as he's the easiest to deal with.  He is ranked 13th in a sport where teams have 11 players per side.  Hard to define him as a regular if he can't even make the top 11 by ranking, if that's indeed how we're looking at it.  He played 1537 mins from a possible 3060 (3420 for 38 games but he missed the first 4).  That's about 50% of the possible game time.  I don't know what you define as a regular but someone that doesn't play as often as he does play isn't what I call a regular.  The three players directly ranked behind him are Stuani, Espinosa and Ayala.  Any of them 'regulars' in your view?

Now we'll move on to Downing.  He is ranked 7th so to be fair considerably higher up. However, as I pointed out this is in large part down to him playing continually under Agnew. After Karanka left he played a total of 960 mins out of a possible 990.  For those keeping score that means he played 1252 mins from a possible 2430 or just slightly over half before this point.  Again that's not exactly regular if you're not playing as often as you are playing.  To put it into even greater context, when Downing was dropped he was behind Ramirez and Fischer in the pecking order.  In fact he started only 3 games after Man City away until Karanka left the club and this is despite the fact that both Fischer and Ramirez were injured or 'injured' during this time.  Indeed, Stuani played on the left ahead of Downing, that's how much of a regular he was.

I think the only true regulars we had last season were Gibson, Negredo, Valdes, Clayton, de Roon and Forshaw.  Chambers would have been were it not for injury and Friend likely the same.  You can make a case for Barragan if you like but I think he'd have been out of the side earlier if Friend and Chambers weren't both injured.  Downing was a regular (inexplicably) for Agnew but certainly not for Karanka and as I've already pointed out, this is part of the reason for the aggro between them.  It would be odd for a player to be ***ed off for being picked regularly, wouldn't it?  :)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Non regulars downing and traore with the 7th and 13th most mins this season....

Yippee!  This again  :rolleyes:

Firstly, rankings aren't a great way of looking at it as you could have a big squad where lots of people have had some game time but everyone has been in an out of the side.  But anyway I'll play along.

Let's start with Traore as he's the easiest to deal with.  He is ranked 13th in a sport where teams have 11 players per side.  Hard to define him as a regular if he can't even make the top 11 by ranking, if that's indeed how we're looking at it.  He played 1537 mins from a possible 3060 (3420 for 38 games but he missed the first 4).  That's about 50% of the possible game time.  I don't know what you define as a regular but someone that doesn't play as often as he does play isn't what I call a regular.  The three players directly ranked behind him are Stuani, Espinosa and Ayala.  Any of them 'regulars' in your view?

Now we'll move on to Downing.  He is ranked 7th so to be fair considerably higher up. However, as I pointed out this is in large part down to him playing continually under Agnew. After Karanka left he played a total of 960 mins out of a possible 990.  For those keeping score that means he played 1252 mins from a possible 2430 or just slightly over half before this point.  Again that's not exactly regular if you're not playing as often as you are playing.  To put it into even greater context, when Downing was dropped he was behind Ramirez and Fischer in the pecking order.  In fact he started only 3 games after Man City away until Karanka left the club and this is despite the fact that both Fischer and Ramirez were injured or 'injured' during this time.  Indeed, Stuani played on the left ahead of Downing, that's how much of a regular he was.

I think the only true regulars we had last season were Gibson, Negredo, Valdes, Clayton, de Roon and Forshaw.  Chambers would have been were it not for injury and Friend likely the same.  You can make a case for Barragan if you like but I think he'd have been out of the side earlier if Friend and Chambers weren't both injured.  Downing was a regular (inexplicably) for Agnew but certainly not for Karanka and as I've already pointed out, this is part of the reason for the aggro between them.  It would be odd for a player to be *** off for being picked regularly, wouldn't it?  :)

I personally think none of them played a minute and last season was fake news.

I guess it depends on your definition of regular. For me anyone in the top 20 are regulars because their volume of minutes will need to be replaced, likely be a new signing or a reshuffle.

There's definitely more than we have been told with Assombalonga, the Gazette only do these multi-day spreads on players when we're pretty close.

Just to play devils advocate remember Victor Lindelof??

That only proves the point. We were close to Lindelof, but Benfica kept pulling the transfer at the last minute.

There's definitely more than we have been told with Assombalonga, the Gazette only do these multi-day spreads on players when we're pretty close.

I do, he was meant to get on a plane on 3 separate occasions wasn't he? Benfica are seemingly the only reason that didn't happen.

The last time they did this was Bamford articles all through December and start of January, he signed.

I do, he was meant to get on a plane on 3 separate occasions wasn't he? Benfica are seemingly the only reason that didn't happen.

The last time they did this was Bamford articles all through December and start of January, he signed.

Sorry that may sound like I was knocking you mate... not intended that way just learnt not to get my hopes up on players when it comes to getting them signed.

Sick of seeing that bloody article haha, 3rd time this summer he's been banging on about assombalonga, must be their version of Bernie slaven or something.

anyone heard rumours that we've made progress on howson transfer?

Yes he has expressed his desire to come here. The reason the last bid was rejected was because of structure norwich want 5 million upfront its not far off done