oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aye he is. The lad they took on loan from Derby to cover Butland'a injury and he was immense last season. He was rightly fuming when Butland walked straight back into the side and reportedly wanted to leave... Sadly though it looks like he's wanting to stay in the Premiership.

I don't rate Randolph all that highly. Adrian is still the better GK out of the two. Randolph seems to be similar to Dimi stepping in and taking his chance when the established first choice GK hits a bad patch. I'd feel much more comfortable with any of the other names linked like Westwood, Darlow, Johnstone and Bentley etc.

We're starting to get linked with loads of GK's which gives the impression that we're getting desperate as we haven't been able to tie up a deal for one of our top targets.

I'd like Bentley out of all of them, watch the videos of his saves and loads of them are him shot blocking after being left exposed by a bad defence. Gives you a good idea of his capabilities rather than standing behind a solid defence saving 20 yard dribblers.

De Roon's replacement has already been signed, and we know for a fact he suits this league down to the ground. If we make a profit on MdR then we've done some good business.

As the squad stands currently, I'd say we definitely need a GK, FB, and a LW. Potentially a CB, RW and only a striker if it's a real top quality talent. CB options of Gibson/Ayala/Baptiste/Fry currently... It *could* be good enough, but God only knows how many games Baptiste can play in a season, as well as question marks over wether he has the quality (after his recent injury) to be part of a Championship chasing defence. And Fry needs blooding in, but not too much too soon - so another CB option would be ideal, but not a top priority - unless Gibson does move on.

Linked List for those positions (who're still available):

GK

Kieran Westwood

Karl Darlow

David Bentley

Darren Randolph

FB

Joe Bryan

LW

Sheyi Ojo

Martin Braithwaite

---

CB

Kyle Bartley

Charlie Mulgrew

Tom Lees

Aden Flint

Nathan Baker

RW:

???

ST:

Britt Assombalonga

Dwight Gayle

Cameron Jerome

Linked with Greg Cunningham also for the Full-Back slot.

I think Baptiste is fine as a back up option, he played 25 games last season for Preston after joining them late, also missed a few through suspension so his fitness shouldn't be in doubt.

Even if Gibbo doesn't leave we can't go forward with only the 4 centre backs you've mentioned, we need atleast 1 more. Ayala is almost guarenteed to get suspended atleast once, and injured atleast once also. Flint or Bartley will do for me.

I find it absolutely crazy that many of our fans aren't putting Baptiste as a candidate. He has been proven with many teams to be a strong player with outstanding stats in this league. He missed out at Boro in first season due to injury in first season and then sent on loan second season.

I find it absolutely crazy that many of our fans aren't putting Baptiste as a candidate. He has been proven with many teams to be a strong player with outstanding stats in this league. He missed out at Boro in first season due to injury in first season and then sent on loan second season.

i thought he looked pretty decent early last season for us. i think it was the friendlies though, i was surprised he went onloan. i had a feeling he might stay with the squad. then we signed barragan and bernardo who are both worse than him a rb and cb imo. if baptiste proves his worth this season, shows us something about the spanish bias that developed in the squad by orta/ak.

As I say, Baptiste might be god enough - he showed he was capable at Preston - but it's a different kettle of fish being in a promotion chasing team. I'm happy to keep him personally - was really excited by his performance at RB on his debut before that double leg fracture; seems to have drifted to playing more as a CB after it. I personally know only too well how an injury can affect your speed and acceleration abilities (knee ligament... yuck!), which might have something to do with it - but the lad has a very intelligent footballing brain, which is right up Monk's street, and looks like he can read the game well.

Ideally I'd like another CB in - ideally, again, to battle with Ayala for a berth alongside Gibson. In fact, signing a CB could mean we'd not necessarily need to sign another FB with Fabio able to play both left and right and Baptiste able to cover at RB. My shortlist would be one of Kalas, Bartley, Flint or Pennington personally.

Also - interesting article in the Gazette looking at players who'll be hoping to impress Monk over pre-season.

I'm hoping we get to see Stuani given a chance as the main Centre Forward. The lads had to try and impress in his secondary position, but what he has shown, I think at least, gives credence to him being given an opportunity in the Number 9 shirt. He's not the most technically gifted footballer, but has good anticipation, ready space well and seems to pop up in key positions when we need him most. The sort of Striker who could score you a number of goals; wether he'd contribute in terms of assists, in not so sure - which would perhaps make him a luxury up there which we can't quite afford with the current creative options.

Also - interesting article in the Gazette looking at players who'll be hoping to impress Monk over pre-season.

I'm hoping we get to see Stuani given a chance as the main Centre Forward. The lads had to try and impress in his secondary position, but what he has shown, I think at least, gives credence to him being given an opportunity in the Number 9 shirt. He's not the most technically gifted footballer, but has good anticipation, ready space well and seems to pop up in key positions when we need him most. The sort of Striker who could score you a number of goals; wether he'd contribute in terms of assists, in not so sure - which would perhaps make him a luxury up there which we can't quite afford with the current creative options.

funny one stuani. with us being linked to a new striker i automatically though his days are numbered. gestede is a proper battering ram and paddy in a more a technical forward. stuani is sort of meh at everything. i though we'd sign a new striker(all the links) have the new guy first choice with paddy and ruddy the different options. with paddy the more likely rw fill in. gestede and paddy probably playing enough to keep happy. 

what if we go x2 up front though, i think big stu could play with anyone really. were as the other two are going to need a certain type of contrast to how they play. stuani could play targetman with paddy and run off gestede. were as gestede cant do anything other than be a big target. paddy was pretty useless with his back to goal, but great running off others and in behind. 

stuani is a good backup option and regardless of his ability will give you all hes got. i think we should keep all three of them and strengthen the wide areas which are much weaker atm.

I'm sure Beattie will have a big say in who plays up top, maybe he can bring all 3 on the way he did Wood

Very good point, estonpidge. I keep forgetting about the Beattie Factor. Genuinely pretty excited to see if he can recreate the work he did with Wood and Bony.

Same with Flahavan and the work he did to improve an aging Rob Green's reflexes, which won/saved Leeds some key points last term.

Just a few comments, a couple of MK Don supporters I know stated it would be good business for Boro if we did get Ojo, it was accepted that he had little time to impress at Liverpool but had masses of potential (believe he was in the England U20 squad) and that if he did flourish we would regret the chance of getting him if he went elsewhere.

SB covered Stuani, will Monk use him in his true role? How often he has looked uncomfortable during past seasons!

I am sure there was some sort of inference that Boro did want to bring in players who were beyond the par for the course and maybe we should expect a "big" signing or two along the way.

If the above paragraph is true then getting Downing away could be very important due to savings though I accept that it probably will be a free or nominal transfer value.

Interesting times

Also I concur that maybe we do not have anything to be concerned about if Baptiste does stay, let's face it he has had no chance whatsoever due to circumstances to show us his true capability.