oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just out of interest Dave, how many 90 minute matches have you watched Randolph play?

Personally, I'd say half a dozen or more? But one of my mates is a goalie coach who actually coached Randolph, so I have been talking alot about him over the past week. I'd say I wasn't a fan and had my concerns and after talking to him, it just furthered my belief. I trust this lads opinion on Keepers. He's let me in on a few snippets this summer too but they all relate to other teams unfortunately!

Edit: Admittedly, as I said yesterday, it's been a year or two since my mate worked with him, so it's entirely possible he's really come on, but what I've personally seen of him I don't believe that to be the case.

Randolph is good enough. Errors are a weird stat, you can easily amount a few in a season without doing too much wrong as they require goals to be scored. It's a bit like assists vs chances created. Also a team that defends more is always more likely to concede from an error as they are (on average) nearer their goal. It's a stat that needs to be considered over more than one season as there is too much variation, so 4 errors in one season could mean anything.

errors that let to a goal, does that include being megged three times in on game? that stat alone says it all. guzan 3 meggs in one game. thats one game. randolph did 5 errors all season. but still stat wise looks worse than guzan.

Just out of interest Dave, how many 90 minute matches have you watched Randolph play?

Personally, I'd say half a dozen or more? But one of my mates is a goalie coach who actually coached Randolph, so I have been talking alot about him over the past week. I'd say I wasn't a fan and had my concerns and after talking to him, it just furthered my belief. I trust this lads opinion on Keepers. He's let me in on a few snippets this summer too but they all relate to other teams unfortunately!

Edit: Admittedly, as I said yesterday, it's been a year or two since my mate worked with him, so it's entirely possible he's really come on, but what I've personally seen of him I don't believe that to be the case.

i remember him playing against us for brum. i also remember thinking i wish we had him over the knacker in our goal. hes a good keeper guys relax.

Fair enough. You just seem to have a lot of issues with a keeper you've seen so little of. Having watched him 15-20 times for Ireland and plenty of time last season for West Ham, it feels like you're describing a different keeper. It could perhaps just be that he performs better at international level but he also was keeping Adrian out of the West Ham team at times last season.

Was it with Birmingham that your mate worked with him?

Daryl Flahavan has been widely credited with improving Rob Green's game last season - particularly in regards to his reactions as an aging keeper - and some of those reactionary saves he made for Leeds were fantastic; Got them an extra point or two here and there throughout the season.

If Flahavan can get Randolph working on a similar level to what he had Green training, he's still young enough for a keeper to keep on improving and improving.

Fair enough. You just seem to have a lot of issues with a keeper you've seen so little of. Having watched him 15-20 times for Ireland and plenty of time last season for West Ham, it feels like you're describing a different keeper. It could perhaps just be that he performs better at international level but he also was keeping Adrian out of the West Ham team at times last season.

Was it with Birmingham that your mate worked with him?

I wouldn't say I have alot of issues with him, it all started with me saying I'm not a fan of his, I haven't read it all back but i suppose it must read like its escalated disproportionally to my level of concern! But yeah it's a mix of my feelings on the few occasions I've seen him, sort of solidified by views of certain people that I think alot of.

I shouldn't really say much more about my mate, I wouldn't like to betray his confidence, but the time that's lapsed since they've worked together certainly would give Randolph time to improve. I suppose that since the occasions that I have seen him I didn't rate him has put me in the mindset that this isn't the case, but I may have caught him on off days.

Anyway, if he does come I'll support him 100% and hope that he disproves any of my concerns.

Seems a lot of nigh on pensioners are joining Championship clubs right now... well, footballing pensioners. Not bloody 68 years old retirees like us regular folk.

Chris Samba, 33, to Villa. Hopefully he partners Terry when we play them and Traore/Braithwaite can rip them apart with speed.

Daryl Flahavan has been widely credited with improving Rob Green's game last season - particularly in regards to his reactions as an aging keeper - and some of those reactionary saves he made for Leeds were fantastic; Got them an extra point or two here and there throughout the season.

If Flahavan can get Randolph working on a similar level to what he had Green training, he's still young enough for a keeper to keep on improving and improving.

we keep hearing things about flahavan doing this with green and beattie doing this with wood. it feels like we, sorry monk has got himself a very sound coaching team. 

i know a few lads who are mates with beattie from youth days. they are great lads and i always got the impression beattie was to from them. which makes me reconsider the bad stuff about monk being hyped up by bitter fans. 

feeling like we are a club going places again, even under AK always felt a little apprehensive due to the lack of goals. the robbo days could be coming back again.

someone mentioned this window reminded them of when robbo joined, does me to.

Seems a lot of nigh on pensioners are joining Championship clubs right now... well, footballing pensioners. Not bloody 68 years old retirees like us regular folk.

Chris Samba, 33, to Villa. Hopefully he partners Terry when we play them and Traore/Braithwaite can rip them apart with speed.

love this signing, it shows for me how bruce is a complete balloon head. one ancient sloth in defence they might be able to get away with but samba and terry heavens above.

someone said something like watching them both turn would be like watching two super tankers have a race.  :D

we keep hearing things about flahavan doing this with green and beattie doing this with wood. it feels like we, sorry monk has got himself a very sound coaching team. 

i know a few lads who are mates with beattie from youth days. they are great lads and i always got the impression beattie was to from them. which makes me reconsider the bad stuff about monk being hyped up by bitter fans. 

feeling like we are a club going places again, even under AK always felt a little apprehensive due to the lack of goals. the robbo days could be coming back again.

someone mentioned this window reminded them of when robbo joined, does me to.

Yeah I do get that feeling, we are completing good, ambitious business in the market and we are doing it in a really timely manner. Not only that but I'm starting to feel more optimistic that we may hang on to the likes of Gibbo, Traore and Ramirez