oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Leadbitter will be perfect on the bench an experienced head to cover for clayton or maybe come on when we need to close the game down.  Why would we get rid then have to go out and pay money for someone to sit on the bench

Maybe we could do something crazy like buy someone better than we already have so that the incoming player goes into the team and the existing player is the one on the bench?  It's a revolutionary thought I know but it might just work.

That'd never work.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I am, I still have memory's of him looking badly out of his depth in that play off final, he did improve a lot the following season though fair enough.

He just still has that image imo of being a more attacking midfielder doing a job further back, almost like a rich mans Nicky Bailey, rather than a midfield general who can grab a game and turn things around if needed.

I feel like he needs that kind of player alongside him.

Leadbitter will be perfect on the bench an experienced head to cover for clayton or maybe come on when we need to close the game down.  Why would we get rid then have to go out and pay money for someone to sit on the bench

Maybe we could do something crazy like buy someone better than we already have so that the incoming player goes into the team and the existing player is the one on the bench?  It's a revolutionary thought I know but it might just work.

That'd never work.

Aye you're probably right.  I'm too much of a dreamer me, it's always been my problem.

That'd never work.

Aye you're probably right.  I'm too much of a dreamer me, it's always been my problem.

I think we need to solve the problems we have first. Playing with Clayton and forshaw with leadbitter on the bench isn't a problem in the championship. We need an attacking mid a couple of wingers either a forward or a number 10 and probably a centre back. Let's get that right and if we have time / money. Then work on maybe improving clayton

I think midfield is part of the problem we just got away with it a bit more in the championship. As I said there was a big lack of assists and goals from our central midfielders specially in the actual promotion season.

I think midfield is part of the problem we just got away with it a bit more in the championship. As I said there was a big lack of assists and goals from our central midfielders specially in the actual promotion season.

There was a lack of assists from midfield but that wasn't clayton and leadbitter job If we bought a number 10 an attacking mid and two wide mids that's where your assists come from

I'd no more blame leadbitter and clayton for our lack of goals than I would ayala and Gibson

See I don't buy that though, look at howson for Norwich, 7 assists and 7 goals, cairney for Fulham, mooy for Huddersfield who played the same system as us, Shelvey for Newcastle.

A good midfielder will play forwards in and start counter attacks, make late runs into the box and I always felt our midfield was lacking in that department.

See I don't buy that though, look at howson for Norwich, 7 assists and 7 goals, cairney for Fulham, mooy for Huddersfield who played the same system as us, Shelvey for Newcastle.

A good midfielder will play forwards in and start counter attacks, make late runs into the box and I always felt our midfield was lacking in that department.

If released to do so.

I can't imagine any holding midfielder in Karanka's Championship formation of 4-2-3-1 being able to get 7 goals and 7 assists like Howson. It just surely can't be possible. I don't know the detail of the role that Howson played in whichever season them statistics were from, but the only way that I can imagine a holding midfielder playing a comparable role getting them goals and assists is to be substantially from set pieces. I don't get too caught up in the statistics of central midfielders as their roles massively influence them. When we signed Nicky Bailey I remember him being touted as a box-to-box midfield dynamo who would score a bucket full of goals. Clayton's goals and assists statistics will be abysmal but anybody that watches him play will surely see the massive role that he plays in the team.

Our midfielders pushed forward late on in attacks pretty much every time we went forward, it's a complete myth they weren't 'allowed' to go past the halfway line or whatever and I'm talking about in the championship, not the premier league when we played with a 3.

Clayton was generally the holding midfielder while leadbitter or forshaw often got up around the box.

Neither Clayton or leadbitter were good enough in the final 3rd, forshaw was a bit better that's why I wanted him in over grant.

im not saying we made a massive mistake selling Adomah and Tomlin   but where we have failed badly and regressed  is failing to find  replacement players with similar abilities let alone better (which should have been within our scouting/buying personnel,,s ability). to fulfill similar  roles during not one but two transfer windows ,  you can argue whether thats down to players not being good enough, being well below par , being too raw in Traore,s case..... BUT IT WAS during those two windows, as it  still is now....an area where we were crying out for quality additions....and we flopped badly with a mix of ignoring it or not adressing it adequtely.

If your playing a midfield three. Then at least one probably two will be holding you don't expect them to arrive in the box it's the other four that get in the box Gareth Barry kante Lucas. You don't expect them to score or set up goals. Horses for courses

Regardless of who is in charge next season, Grant will be a good man to have around the team. I'm all for having somebody come in to take his and Forshaw's place in the team, to play alongside Clayton and do a bit more for us going forward. But I don't think Grant fits the bill of the type of player you want to see shifted out of the club in a transitional period. He's the perfect kind of bloke to buy into a new philosophy and help get that across to the rest of the team, whether that is as a captain or as a leader majorly around the training ground and in the dressing room.

I can't imagine any holding midfielder in Karanka's Championship formation of 4-2-3-1 being able to get 7 goals and 7 assists like Howson. It just surely can't be possible. I don't know the detail of the role that Howson played in whichever season them statistics were from, but the only way that I can imagine a holding midfielder playing a comparable role getting them goals and assists is to be substantially from set pieces. I don't get too caught up in the statistics of central midfielders as their roles massively influence them. When we signed Nicky Bailey I remember him being touted as a box-to-box midfield dynamo who would score a bucket full of goals. Clayton's goals and assists statistics will be abysmal but anybody that watches him play will surely see the massive role that he plays in the team.

Leadbitter got 12 goals and 8 assists in the league in our play-off campaign. I know he scored a decent amount of penalties that year but still, thats the sort of return we should look for from one of the midfielders in a strong promotion pushing team. (12 goals is a bit ambitious but certainly 7 is achieveable)

Leadbitter and Clayton did a certain job in the system they played. In a 4231 their priority was to break up play, protect the back four and start attacks from our own half.

Neither were expected to run beyond the striker or even play that high up the field. It's pointless and not fair to judge them on goals and assists alone.

In our last Championship season Friend and Nsue would actually get closer to the opposition goal more often than Clayton and Leadbitter.