oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Ffs every time we attacked at least one of them WAS right up in support, usually round the edge of the box. Remember leadbitter hitting the post after playing a one two in to box? Can't remember who it was against but we drew.

And I knew someone would bring up those 12 goals and x amount of assists. Why not counter that by saying 9 were penalties and he was also taking every corner and set price around the area?

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course there were times when one of them were up in support, but it's a bit of a stretch to say it was everytime we attacked. If a team are defending on the edge of their box then yes AC and GL will get closer to goal, what I'm saying is it's not their main job to score goals.

In a 4231 the two CM's play as deep lying midfielders, positional wise they'll be focussed on being behind the ball nearly all game. For that reason it's unfair to judge either as players on goals scored.

If we are playing 433 next season I agree we need a midfielder who can break forward into the box and score more goals but in a 4231 it's not as much of a concern.

Leadbitter and Clayton did a certain job in the system they played. In a 4231 their priority was to break up play, protect the back four and start attacks from our own half.

Neither were expected to run beyond the striker or even play that high up the field. It's pointless and not fair to judge them on goals and assists alone.

In our last Championship season Friend and Nsue would actually get closer to the opposition goal more often than Clayton and Leadbitter.

Exactly..the problem wasn't and still isn't clayton and leadbitter. They do their jobs which is why we concede so few. It's the others ,the wide players the attacking mid the number 10 they are the ones that haven't done the job

Absolute rubbish it's the central midfielders job in that system to transition from defence to attack and they weren't quick enough at picking out runners meaning the other team were getting back into shape.

It's way to simplistic to say that the job of the 2 was to defend and nothing else that's not true at all and they certainly got forward a lot more than they get credit for, I made a point of watching them every game because of the uproar about how far they were 'allowed' up the pitch.

Do you not think they both played to pretty strict instructions though?

I know neither of them scored or created much but I think Karanka was happy to sacrifice flair for keeping our shape.

I think the priority for us is buying players to play in a front 3 or wide, players with a bit of pace and class. I think if we got those types of players then Clayton with Leadbitter/Forshaw can do the job.

It'll all depend on the system we play at the end of the day.

Kante and matic never go beyond the attackers, they're rarely within 30 yards of the goal. With fabio and friend as our full backs plus a much more effective front four than we've seen recently theres no reason to expect our cms to be contributing much in terms of goals or assists.

That said id prefer de room and clayton to be our midfield two next season. And no sign of a midfield 3 at all

If its true Monk is taking over, I think that we will be signing Kyle Bartley. Monk signed Montero for Swansea didnt he ? We might go in for him if there was previous interest.

Absolute rubbish it's the central midfielders job in that system to transition from defence to attack and they weren't quick enough at picking out runners meaning the other team were getting back into shape.

It's way to simplistic to say that the job of the 2 was to defend and nothing else that's not true at all and they certainly got forward a lot more than they get credit for, I made a point of watching them every game because of the uproar about how far they were 'allowed' up the pitch.

I didn't say their only job was to defend but it certainly not to score goals and create chances. That's not to say they won't now and again but their main job is to stop attacks win possesion and feed the guys that do create

If that isn't their job Kante has been crap all season

I didn't say their only job was to defend but it certainly not to score goals and create chances. That's not to say they won't now and again but their main job is to stop attacks win possesion and feed the guys that do create

Kante is also quick, can pick a pass and start an attack.

Kante is also quick, can pick a pass and start an attack.

That's why he's won player of the yr He can do all those things but it's not the main reason he's in the team

Well just have to agree to disagree then, I just expect more from a midfielder than breaking up attacks.

I know it's an extreme example but look at Spurs who set up the same way as us, moussa dembele dictates the attack at times he certainly isn't there just to break up play.

Look at lampard under mourinho again the same set up/system and more recently Herrera/pogba at Utd.

I know these are far better players than we have but my point is they have the ability to do more than just defend rather than them just getting goals because the system says the can.

As I said in the other post the best example is mooy at Huddersfield, again an almost identical system to ours and he was playing like a lower league dembele, getting around the box and dictating things, also getting goals and assists. He was doing all the things leadbitter was also trying to do just he wasn't good enough.

Like I said I disagree the midfielders should be there purely to break up the attack and do a bit going forward, that's something smaller teams do to try and hold their own, not something we should be doing next season, no I want a midfielder who is going to actually influence the final 3rd, someone with a bit of technique and vision and can actually shoot (cue 2 examples of leadbitter having a good shot in the 5 years he's been here).

So yes I AM going to judge a midfielder on their goals and assists as well as defensive contribution.

Well just have to agree to disagree then, I just expect more from a midfielder than breaking up attacks.

I know it's an extreme example but look at Spurs who set up the same way as us, moussa dembele dictates the attack at times he certainly isn't there just to break up play.

Look at lampard under mourinho again the same set up/system and more recently Herrera/pogba at Utd.

I know these are far better players than we have but my point is they have the ability to do more than just defend rather than them just getting goals because the system says the can.

As I said in the other post the best example is mooy at Huddersfield, again an almost identical system to ours and he was playing like a lower league dembele, getting around the box and dictating things, also getting goals and assists. He was doing all the things leadbitter was also trying to do just he wasn't good enough.

Like I said I disagree the midfielders should be there purely to break up the attack and do a bit going forward, that's something smaller teams do to try and hold their own, not something we should be doing next season, no I want a midfielder who is going to actually influence the final 3rd, someone with a bit of technique and vision and can actually shoot (cue 2 examples of leadbitter having a good shot in the 5 years he's been here).

So yes I AM going to judge a midfielder on their goals and assists as well as defensive contribution.

Not sure we disagree as much as you think. We need a lampard or a dembelle that's been our problem we have three four defencive mids and no attacking. Spurs have dyre behind dembele and Chelsea have Kante or the like behind lampard

The problem has always been we have three Kante s. No one mentions Kante doesn't score or create enough to because they have the players that do