oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Baptiste going I can handle, but I'll be disappointed if DeRoon goes. With all the change, we need to keep a core group together. DeRoon is a solid player, who always puts in a shift. In any successful team, you need piano movers and piano players, and MDR is a solid piano mover.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Err some of these players will have to stay considering the squad is already bare bones whether we bring more in or not

Will they?

- Downing isn't being considered for selection

- Guedioura isn't either and hasn't played a minute of preseason

- We're actively looking for a player in Baptiste's position

- We have FOUR goalkeepers, so one of Ripley and Mejias will probably go

- Gestede is, as best, 3rd choice striker, at worst, 5th choice

I think that all 5 could leave and it wouldn't hugely affect us.

at least 3 more out and 3 in?

Downing, Gestede, Guediara(sp)

One of Mejias and Ripley will go as well.

yeah, uncertainty about Leadboots also.

And there's been talk around De Roon and FOrshaw

I can't see De Roon being here much longer, I think all the talk of a €20m price tag is just to drive up the actual price we'll get, and I think Fabio will go as well.  There was a bit on Sport Witness the other day that said his agent had been offering him around as he didn't want to play in the Championship again.

I can't see Baptiste staying either, I'm sure we will bring in one more CB then he will be off.

all good shouts, sounds like plenty of business left. Baptiste to Sunderland?

Err some of these players will have to stay considering the squad is already bare bones whether we bring more in or not

Will they?

If Baptiste goes we'll need 2 new CBs. I can't see him going.

Will they?

Why do we need 5 CBs? Ayala, Fry, Gibson and Baptiste is enough. If Baptiste leaves, we'll get Shotton/Flint in to replace him, but I don't see the need for an additional one on top of that.

Why would baptiste move? Good solid player, versatile, decent chance of getting some game time in the event of an injury, probably on a decent wage. I've not seen anything to suggest he is pushing for the move.

Baptiste is more of a utility defender to cover all spots, Fry came on at CB ahead of Baptiste against Augsburg and we can't go into the season with him as our 3rd choice CB. He's not ready IMO. We need a senior 3rd CB, a proper CB not another utility player who can do a job.

Why would baptiste move? Good solid player, versatile, decent chance of getting some game time in the event of an injury, probably on a decent wage. I've not seen anything to suggest he is pushing for the move.

Baptiste is more of a utility defender to cover all spots, Fry came on at CB ahead of Baptiste against Augsburg and we can't go into the season with him as our 3rd choice CB. He's not ready IMO. We need a senior 3rd CB, a proper CB not another utility player who can do a job.

Basically this. And he may not be pushing for a move, but we've been linked with CBs all summer, so I'd say it's fairly likely that either Baptiste or Fry are on the move.

Basically this. And he may not be pushing for a move, but we've been linked with CBs all summer, so I'd say it's fairly likely that either Baptiste or Fry are on the move.

We may have been linked with cbs all summer because of the likely hood of a suitable bit coming in for Gibson.

As for being a utility player, why would that ever be a disadvantage? It's not like he's a bad player in any of those positions.

I'd like to keep Baptiste around purely because he can cover all those positions across the back 4.

But I would still rather him be 4th/5th choice centre-back despite that. As long as he's happy to stay and the squad isn't considered overcrowded. Perhaps just through fear of what happened last season when our defence dropped like flies.

Will they?

Why do we need 5 CBs? Ayala, Fry, Gibson and Baptiste is enough. If Baptiste leaves, we'll get Shotton/Flint in to replace him, but I don't see the need for an additional one on top of that.

Ayala is very injury prone. Fry couldn't get his game for Rotherham last season.

We may have been linked with cbs all summer because of the likely hood of a suitable bit coming in for Gibson.

As for being a utility player, why would that ever be a disadvantage? It's not like he's a bad player in any of those positions.

We put in a bid for Ryan Shotton last week. If that was to replace Gibson, I'd say we'd be looking a bit higher.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Baptiste, and think he deserves a chance. But If Monk was planning on keeping him and Fry, I don't think we would be bidding for the likes of Shotton.

I should probably clarify I wasn't saying we should get rid of Baptiste because he's a utility player, I want another CB brought in as 3rd choice aswell as keeping Baptiste. As for Fry, he should be either 5th choice CB or go out on loan somewhere. Maybe league 1 for a season.