oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simple fact is if he goes for big money (30mill +) and goes to a "big" club (man city/spurs) he will go to the world cup. Its how it tends to be. Big money, big club, a bit of hype......england call up.

I want Ben to stay but still of the opinion that if we could get two really top notch defenders for our league and have 10mill to spare then it's a deal worth doing. What we lose in Ben's position we gain in the 2nd cb and ayala has proper competition.

Not even Stones or Smalling. Stones will get there via virtue of hype regardless of how he plays this season. Last season he was rubbish and yet we still want to call him up at every opportunity.

Obviously something there but it's one of the strangest things ever, a centre back who is being lauded for everything but the ability to defend. It's a recipe for disaster when playing against some of the best strikers in the world. He's a *** Jonny Woodgate.

I've based all of my choices based on hype. England managers go with the hype, hence picking players like Phil Jones and Jesse Lingard ahead of more deserving players.

Who hypes about Phil Jones? I'll never understand his selection.

I just wish for once that an England manager would pick a squad based on one or both of two things:

1) A squad based on the best players/performers in the country.

2) A squad based on a shape that the manager believes in.

Right now, we have a half-***d version of #1. We pick a shape defined by a mixture of good players and average players at big clubs. It's never something the manager outright believes in.

If we could actually attempt to pick a squad that truly was our best we could at least make a semi-final. But nope, we continue to pick players like Phil Jones and Jesse Lingard. Jones has 21 caps for England. How? Has he ever played a good game for United? And Jesse Lingard could barely make a name for himself in the Championship, he's bang average.

As good as Gibson is, I personally don't see him being any where near the England set up come the summer.

Unless there are any drastic injuries I don't think he'd be part of the squad...

He was called up to the last two squads (I think :s) why would that suddenly change?

Maguire and Chambers are not better than Gibson.

I can't believe anyone who's watched Ben would suggest this. Chambers was good last year, and yet Gibson looked better than him almost every game.

I want Ben to stay but still of the opinion that if we could get two really top notch defenders for our league and have 10mill to spare then it's a deal worth doing.

Gibbo > 3 x £10M players

My thinking anyway

As good as Gibson is, I personally don't see him being any where near the England set up come the summer.

Unless there are any drastic injuries I don't think he'd be part of the squad...

He was called up to the last two squads (I think :s) why would that suddenly change?

He won't get in the squad playing in the Championship

He won't get in the squad playing in the Championship

I was working on the assumption he won't be in the championship. Wasn't there a newspaper article about Southgate giving Ben assurances that if he performs in the championship then it won't affect his chances?

Like has been said, if we kick off the sale of Gibson first then we'll undoubtedly add an extra £5m minimum to any replacement we try to sign.

My thinking behind the mutual agreement for Shotton was more that we'd be more open to contributing to Downing's wages should Shotton be allowed to leave for cheaper. I mean it's six and two threes regardless of what happens if there is some kind of deal made.

Say we got £30mil that would get us flint and Bartley for £15m-£17m then money left over for #10 or winger

Flint and Bartley are both significantly worse than Gibson, so why sell?

We are very short at CB and should gibbo or Ayala get injured we are relying on fry to get us through. Selling gibbo would bring in 2 (quality at this level) centre backs with a lot of money to spare. I wouldn't mind Pontus Jansen from Leeds if possible too. Bare in mind gibbo would like to leave to help his England career.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sell him but I can see positives in bringing in £30+ million

I can't believe anyone who's watched Ben would suggest this. Chambers was good last year, and yet Gibson looked better than him almost every game.

Aren't you both saying the same thing??

I know he's been called up for friendlies. But I find it a long stretch to think he will nudge past all the others to make it on the plane with only 2 seasons in the league.

When it comes to it, managers won't blood in the youth in major tournaments. Unfortunately for Ben, I think even if he went to a premier league side, he still wouldn't make the cut.

Aren't you both saying the same thing??

Yes, just because I quote him doesn't mean I'm disagreeing...