oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

I do think Ripley is further along in his development (he is 4 years older after all). Rippers has done his time in Scotland and had a great season with Oldham last term.

Woodman would be good competition and has a lot of potential to be a very good keeper, but he's probably leaving Newcastle in search of being a No. 1. Reckon a lower Champo side will snap him up.

what crime did he commit?

He played in the SPL... That is pretty much like 'doing time' in football...

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woodman has a bright international future, capped at all age levels and winning the Golden Glove of the U-20s World Cup. Being the godson of the current manager of the senior side can't harm either.

Rafa Benitez has already dropped hints about him possibly being Newcastle's 2nd choice keeper this season whereas Ripley wasn't even good enough to be considered our 3rd choice in the prem.

Maybe saying he's less of a risk than Ripley was wrong, we have no idea if he can make the step up to the Championship yet.

Woodman has a bright international future, capped at all age levels and winning the Golden Glove of the U-20s World Cup. Being the godson of the current manager of the senior side can't harm either.

Rafa Benitez has already dropped hints about him possibly being Newcastle's 2nd choice keeper this season whereas Ripley  wasn't even good enough to be considered our 3rd choice in the prem.

Maybe saying he's less of a risk than Ripley was wrong, we have no idea if he can make the step up to the Championship yet.

1. So many players stand out in those youth competition and turn out to be nothing when they are actually playing senior football. And being the godson means absolutely nothing ability wise. 

2. Ripley was probably good enough to be 3. choice but it was likely deemed much better to actually give him a full season of competitive football. That was definately the best decision as he has proven to be one of the best, if not the best, goalkeeper in League 1. He knows what it's like to play senior professional football - something Woodman has only just touched upon. I'd be extremely nervous/disappointed if we went into the season with a 20-year old rookie as first choice. Let him show what he can do in league football first.

That said he might be a good prospect for the future, but certainly not now. And I doubt he would leave Newcastle to come here as a prospect or be sent out on loan.

According to the Echo, Gibbo is going to give Monk £30m to spend on transfers. that's a lot of money.

Wonder if that is including sales. Nevertheless it is still a lot of money and really should give us a team that can win automatic promotion. It should be at least 4 top end championship players and 1-2 top end loans.

According to the Echo, Gibbo is going to give Monk £30m to spend on transfers. that's a lot of money.

I hope that figure is before any transfers out. If we get £25-30m for Gibson and £12m for De Roon then I'd hope at least some of that would be made available on top.

Just saw that on Twitter, hopefully it's 30m plus whatever we make from sales.

That kind of money doesn't actually get you a great deal nowadays (even in the Championship). If we were gonna try and sign someone like Chris Wood we'd probably need to offer about 20m, that's a good chunk of the money gone already.

With this in mind I feel we need to drive a real hard bargain for the likes of Gibson, Ramirez and De Roon. It's pointless rolling over and accepting 20m for Gibson and then paying the same money for a Championship player who might not be able to make the step up to the Premier league.

It's a shame we never spent that kind of money in the January transfer window. We might still have been a Premier League team.

I imagine Monk will be given a portion of any funds made from sales. If we got £12m from de Roon, I doubt he'd get the full amount, but probably upward of £6m from it to add the the £30m already in the kitty.

If the right deal comes along though, Gibbo will stretch that extra bit further. We've seen it happen several times in the past.

Burnley are keen to sign George Friend

Gibbo has said "there is no financial need to sell anyone"

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15341290.New_Middlesbrough_boss_facing_a_big_decision_over_Ben_Gibson___with_Liverpool_set_to_swoop_for_centre_half/

We don't need to sell him but I wouldn't be too bothered if we did.

Unless Fabio is playing RB this season.

I'd prefer to keep hold of Friend in the Championship, but if we get good money i'd happily wave him off. He's a good character but as a footballer i'd like to think we could improve on him in that position if we spent a bit of cash.

Seen as though we have a habit of signing ex players...

Marvin Emnes is a free agent.

BRING HIM HOME.

You've already suggested this, and it wasn't funny then...

Just ignore Will.  I think it's hilarious and you should do it every day.