oneBoro Forum

OneBoro End of Season Awards 2016/17

PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Ben Gibson.

GOAL OF THE SEASON - so many to choose from, it's a toss up between Ramirez vs Bournemouth and Stuani v Sunderland, the former probably shades it.

BEST MATCH - At home to Bournemouth

WORST MATCH - Palace away, the day that I knew the game was up.

BEST SIGNING - Negredo, most enjoyable striker to watch since Kike.

WORST SIGNING - Gestede, £6m wasted.

BEST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - Stuani getting a brace against Sunderland

WORST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - The last minute of the Leicester match, I felt sick

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Adama Traore

HERO OF THE SEASON - Valdes made some amazing saves

VILLAIN OF THE SEASON - Guzan made no amazing saves

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Ben Gibson

GOAL OF THE SEASON - I believe it was to go down with barely a whimper and we succeeded admirably.  Otherwise, to be awkward, I'm saying Stuani's second goal at Sunderland.  Clever intelligent football and we didn't see much of it this season, from us anyway.

BEST MATCH - ***nal away or the unlikeliness of the Man City home game.

WORST MATCH - Take your pick from the multitude of games we didn't score in and never looked likely to score in either.

BEST SIGNING - Chambers.

WORST SIGNING - Again, take your pick.  Guedioura's signing is spectacularly bad but you can say the same about a few of them really.

BEST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - The end of it or maybe the start of it.

WORST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - Summer and winter transfer deadline days when it was clear what we'd done.  Any number of games where we were pathetic - Southampton away, Stoke away, Palace away, Burnley away, Watford home, Palace home, Hull away, Bournemouth away to name but a few.  The Sunderland home game, even though we won, a game between two dire teams trying to out turd each other.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Too many disappointments to name just one.   

HERO OF THE SEASON - Everyone who kept turning up to watch the ***e we served up.

VILLAIN OF THE SEASON - How do you pick one?

Just thinking about the ludicrous nature of this season, Man City couldn't beat us (in the league at least) and yet we could hardly beat anyone at all.

Mostly conjecture and he hasn't really been alone in his average performances either. sounds like Pro-Karanka fans scape goating to me.

Him performing poorly on the pitch isn't conjecture, it's my opinion and the opinion of many on here. Same goes for his poor attitude and gutless performances. Backroom politicking is conjecture, but only because it hasn't been said officially, it's as good as fact.

Essuaitch has never been overtly pro Karanka from what I remember, definitely hasn't been since his sacking.

I didn't overly disagree with his under par performances, but he's hardly alone in that regard and is it enough the label him a villian? No of course it isn't.

ive tried hard not to bite  :D

were back again though ,  accepting everones entitlement to thier own opinions. 

anyway ,cheers Will for the backing and tbh you covered most of why i mentioned Downing in the Villain category.  im way past dissapointment with his attitude and performances and they havent improved with new management pampering to his needs. he has been rotten this time round by the standards he set first time round and taken cowardly to a new level for himself  now on top of .....in the tackle ....hes added shirking responsibilty as one of the so called playmakers  hes offered no more than Reach did and constantly does the same things Reach got slated for , finally check the full seasons final match averages when BU prints them out and tell me SD shouldnt be absolutely ashamed of himself  knowing the ability he has.

re AK...... I was a big fan of him but i also completely accepted we needed a change due to his own stubburness and poor man management  (same downfall as Mogga)

I'm not quite sure what you're expecting of Downing because much of what you mention was visible from his first spell with the club. i.e. "shirking tackles and not taking huge risks with the ball.

Conjecture, sure. But then again, most of what is discussed or written here is conjecture. I am solely basing it on his poor performances, flipping the fans, attitude on the pitch, and most importantly (and to your dislike) his supposed bust up with Karanka. 

My opinions are rarely noticed, but I have always uttered my support of Karanka. So yes, you are quite right, I am (was) pro-Karanka. But even if this was some hard-working T-SIDER manager, having a bust-up with your manager and trying to rally your teammates into your personal vendetta is just disgusting. Rumours or not, his comments today proves enough for me. 

"This wasn’t his [Agnew] team and probably not the way he wanted to play. Did some of some of them [players] want to be here? Probably not, these are the kind of things he has had to deal with."

Read more at http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2016/stewart-downing-boro-3723759.aspx#QyCE3UQUHD4Ty2C9.99

So yes, he's my villain of the season.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON

Ben gibson

GOAL OF THE SEASON

Probably ramirez' run

BEST MATCH

Probably man city at home. Was the most exciting for me even though we didn't win.

WORST MATCH

Getting thrashed by Hull away. Showed how out of our depth we were in the prem

BEST SIGNING

De roon. Nice guy, committed player.

WORST SIGNING

Geououeioirdia whatever his name is. Pointless

BEST MOMENT OF THE SEASON

De roons late goal at city away.

WORST MOMENT OF THE SEASON

Knowing we were getting relegated many games before the end of the season and having to keep going to/watching games.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Not having a real go at the season. We just let it sail on by.

HERO OF THE SEASON

De roon. Chipped in with goals and was always after the opposition. Ran miles for the team as well.

VILLAIN OF THE SEASON

Ramirez. Looked totally uninterested after the Leicester link. I thought he would have wanted to prove he could have a good season in the prem and prove his doubters wrong. It would appear not...

PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Ben Gibson; very consistent performer and deserves to play in the PL

GOAL OF THE SEASON - Ramirez vs. Bournemouth... oh what a time of joy and hope

BEST MATCH - Swansea at home; one of the few times we comfortably beat a team we should have comfortably beaten

WORST MATCH - Bournemouth away; 4-0

BEST SIGNING - Negredo; not many signings could have reached double figures in our ***ty team this season

WORST SIGNING - Guedioura; you know we paid £3.5 million for him?!

BEST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - Win over Sunderland away; believing we could actually do well this season

WORST MOMENT OF THE SEASON - The run of 2 points from Swansea, Hull, Burnley that all but confirmed our relegation

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - The whole season? Getting relegated.

HERO OF THE SEASON - Jermain Defoe. Top bloke for his work with Bradley Lowery, also ended the season with 1 goal in 14 games to ensure there was at least one team worse than us this season

VILLAIN OF THE SEASON - Ramirez. *** off you spineless ***. Could have theoretically made a huge difference to us in the second half of the season, instead... well let's not rehash it

Mostly conjecture and he hasn't really been alone in his average performances either. sounds like Pro-Karanka fans scape goating to me.

Him performing poorly on the pitch isn't conjecture, it's my opinion and the opinion of many on here. Same goes for his poor attitude and gutless performances. Backroom politicking is conjecture, but only because it hasn't been said officially, it's as good as fact.

Essuaitch has never been overtly pro Karanka from what I remember, definitely hasn't been since his sacking.

I didn't overly disagree with his under par performances, but he's hardly alone in that regard and is it enough the label him a villian? No of course it isn't.

anyway ,cheers Will for the backing and tbh you covered most of why i mentioned Downing in the Villain category.  im way past dissapointment with his attitude and performances and they havent improved with new management pampering to his needs. he has been rotten this time round by the standards he set first time round and taken cowardly to a new level for himself  now on top of .....in the tackle ....hes added shirking responsibilty as one of the so called playmakers  hes offered no more than Reach did and constantly does the same things Reach got slated for , finally check the full seasons final match averages when BU prints them out and tell me SD shouldnt be absolutely ashamed of himself  knowing the ability he has.

re AK...... I was a big fan of him but i also completely accepted we needed a change due to his own stubburness and poor man management  (same downfall as Mogga)

I'm not quite sure what you're expecting of Downing because much of what you mention was visible from his first spell with the club. i.e. "shirking tackles and not taking huge risks with the ball.

Conjecture, sure. But then again, most of what is discussed or written here is conjecture. I am solely basing it on his poor performances, flipping the fans, attitude on the pitch, and most importantly (and to your dislike) his supposed bust up with Karanka. 

My opinions are rarely noticed, but I have always uttered my support of Karanka. So yes, you are quite right, I am (was) pro-Karanka. But even if this was some hard-working T-SIDER manager, having a bust-up with your manager and trying to rally your teammates into your personal vendetta is just disgusting. Rumours or not, his comments today proves enough for me. 

"This wasn’t his [Agnew] team and probably not the way he wanted to play. Did some of some of them [players] want to be here? Probably not, these are the kind of things he has had to deal with."

Read more at http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2016/stewart-downing-boro-3723759.aspx#QyCE3UQUHD4Ty2C9.99

I don't really understand what you're saying. You're basing it on his poor performances yet you go on to lambast him for his disgusting bust up with Karanka, which you admit is conjecture?

He hasn't had a brilliant season i agree but you could level that accusation at three quarters of the squad. Going by what Leadbitter said in his interview, things weren't going well on the pitch and Karanka did nothing to change it. A number of players spoke out to question whether things needed mixing up. I wonder why Gibson isn't getting the same stick levelled at him. Probably because he's had a good season...

Gibson isn't getting the same stick because he's performed impeccably, shown passion and fight on the pitch where the fans can see it, unlike Downing.

Gibson isn't getting the same stick because he's performed impeccably, shown passion and fight on the pitch where the fans can see it, unlike Downing.

and Valdes, Barragan, Espinosa, Ramirez, Traore, Stuani...... etc etc

What about them? Barragan and Espinosa have been slated regularly. Ramirez is virtually hated by our fans. Stuani is a boo boy to lots as well. Traore has been widely criticised on here. Valdes was performing well and showing a good attitude up to the Burnley game, whether he is actually injured or not, I don't know. Not sure how any of them, or Ben Gibson, are relevant to Downing and his attitude and performances...

What about them? Barragan and Espinosa have been slated regularly. Ramirez is virtually hated by our fans. Stuani is a boo boy to lots as well. Traore has been widely criticised on here. Valdes was performing well and showing a good attitude up to the Burnley game, whether he is actually injured or not, I don't know. Not sure how any of them, or Ben Gibson, are relevant to Downing and his attitude and performances...

Quite clearly they've all had similarly poor seasons yet Downing has been made the scapegoat.

The point is that some fans just have a natural dislike for Downing. It's not entirely new either to be fair. First time around he was constantly slated for "not getting stuck in" or "taking the easy option too often". I don't know how much of this stems from jealousy or a poor understanding of the game, not that i'm levelling that at anyone here because he's had a poor season.

Karanka fans have heard a bit of tittle tattle and turned this dislike of Downing as a player/person into a vendetta and a scapegoat situation despite several other prominent players raising their own concerns ie Leadbitter, Gibson and Woodgate at Karanka.

I have no problem with people slating his performance this season (i don't think he's been as bad as people make out) but this scapegoat situation is ludicrous in my view.

I don't really understand what you're saying. You're basing it on his poor performances yet you go on to lambast him for his disgusting bust up with Karanka, which you admit is conjecture?

He hasn't had a brilliant season i agree but you could level that accusation at three quarters of the squad. Going by what Leadbitter said in his interview, things weren't going well on the pitch and Karanka did nothing to change it. A number of players spoke out to question whether things needed mixing up. I wonder why Gibson isn't getting the same stick levelled at him. Probably because he's had a good season...

Why can't it be both? I saw nothing from Downing suggesting he tried his hardest to succeed under Karanka. But the minute Karanka is gone, he talks about sticking together, trusting Gibson, doing it for the club - and questioning some of his teammates' attitude. Sure, conjecture - But in my head, it adds up nicely. Granted, I want it to, but aren't we all slightly biased and cherry-picking whatever fits our argument?

I'm not sure why you are trying to give me stick for this. I've given you plenty reasons for my 'Villain of the Season', I know you are not in an agreement, but we never will be on this one. I can question your pick of Ramirez. He wasn't performing far below others in the team. His attitude might have been poor on the pitch, but can you say Downing's was any better? Ramirez was supposedly injured, but we all wrote that off as *** poor attitude - Conjecture? I'd even argue, in the grand scheme of things, Ramirez has done far more than Downing past 1½ years.

Quite clearly they've all had similarly poor seasons yet Downing has been made the scapegoat.

The point is that some fans just have a natural dislike for Downing. It's not entirely new either to be fair. First time around he was constantly slated for "not getting stuck in" or "taking the easy option too often". I don't know how much of this stems from jealousy or a poor understanding of the game, not that i'm levelling that at anyone here because he's had a poor season.

Karanka fans have heard a bit of tittle tattle and turned this dislike of Downing as a player/person into a vendetta and a scapegoat situation despite several other prominent players raising their own concerns ie Leadbitter, Gibson and Woodgate at Karanka.

I have no problem with people slating his performance this season (i don't think he's been as bad as people make out) but this scapegoat situation is ludicrous in my view.

Come on, now.. You picked Ramirez. I picked Downing. In terms of statistics, Ramirez got 2 goals and 3 assists to his name in 1550 minutes. Downing has 1 goal, 3 assist in 2212 minutes. 

Now, I know we can't base everything off statistics. But we were asked to pick one Villain of the Season. The minute I pick local lad Downing.. lol, screw it. I've given you plenty reasons now. 

NEW VILLAIN OF THE SEASON: RAMIREZ AND KARANKA. 

Edit: Also, yes. I realise my new Villain of the Season is stupid.

No you haven't. You keep saying it's for his poor performances but plenty of other players have had worse seasons. Like you said if you want to believe he's to blame for Karanka leaving that's your prerogative. I think it's wrong, but it's your decision.

You need to drop this insinuation that my opinion is based on nationality or locality as well.

You need to drop this insinuation that my opinion is based on nationality or locality as well.

Bet you've never had a paella in your life you bigot.

No you haven't. You keep saying it's for his poor performances but plenty of other players have had worse seasons. Like you said if you want to believe he's to blame for Karanka leaving that's your prerogative. I think it's wrong, but it's your decision.

You read me like an open book! I actually deleted some text with ethnocentricity. 

I admit, I accidentally put 'solely' which I suppose could add some confusion. 

Here's a list of my reasoning for deeming Downing my Villain of the Season: 

- Poor performances

- Flipping the fans

- Attitude on pitch

- Bust up with Karanka

- Claiming some players don't want to be here in a post-season interview published on mfc.co.uk adding support to previous rumours. 

Again, I don't know why you are giving me stick. Villain of the Season is literally a scapegoating, is it not? Why is Ramirez a perfect choice when Downing isn't? As far as I am concerned, I've answered all your questions. But you haven't answered any of mine.