• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to drop this insinuation that my opinion is based on nationality or locality as well.

Bet you've never had a paella in your life you bigot.

I've never had a paella but that's not cos of bigotry it's just because I hate Spain, Spaniards and everything to do with that stupid country!!!  :@

You read me like an open book! I actually deleted some text with ethnocentricity. 

I admit, I accidentally put 'solely' which I suppose could add some confusion. 

Here's a list of my reasoning for deeming Downing my Villain of the Season: 

- Poor performances

- Flipping the fans

- Attitude on pitch

- Bust up with Karanka

- Claiming some players don't want to be here in a post-season interview published on mfc.co.uk adding support to previous rumours. 

Again, I don't know why you are giving me stick. Villain of the Season is literally a scapegoating, is it not? Why is Ramirez a perfect choice when Downing isn't? As far as I am concerned, I've answered all your questions. But you haven't answered any of mine.

Poor performances is fair enough reason as is flipping the fans or rather a fan if that's what actually happened.  

The bust up with Karanka is a bit different though as he's on a long list of players who fell out with him or that he fell out with.  Claiming some players don't want to be here is simple honesty I'm afraid as some of them clearly didn't/don't and either aren't here now or will shortly be on their way.  I'm not sure he can be labelled a villain for stating the truth even if it's a truth that some people don't seem to want to hear.

No you haven't. You keep saying it's for his poor performances but plenty of other players have had worse seasons. Like you said if you want to believe he's to blame for Karanka leaving that's your prerogative. I think it's wrong, but it's your decision.

You need to drop this insinuation that my opinion is based on nationality or locality as well.

You read me like an open book! I actually deleted some text with ethnocentricity. 

- Poor performances

- Flipping the fans

- Attitude on pitch

- Bust up with Karanka

- Claiming some players don't want to be here in a post-season interview published on mfc.co.uk adding support to previous rumours. 

Again, I don't know why you are giving me stick. Villain of the Season is literally a scapegoating, is it not? Why is Ramirez a perfect choice when Downing isn't? As far as I am concerned, I've answered all your questions. But you haven't answered any of mine.

- Poor performances - No problem with this one but does that alone make him a villain? Given how many players have grossly underperformed this season?

- Flipping the fans - Where's your evidence? What are you basing this on?

- Attitude on pitch - i suggest you watch past Stewart Downing performances throughout his career. You might understand then that he isn't a 'blood and guts' player.

- Bust up with Karanka - Where's your evidence? What are you basing this on?

- Claiming some players don't want to be here in a post-season interview published on mfc.co.uk adding support to previous rumours.  - You'll have to explain this one to me.

You haven't asked me any questions. None that i can work out anyway.

It makes him a hypocrite maybe, not sure it makes him a villain.

When he doesn't name names it merely fuels rumours and contributes to the disharmony in the locker room. There's literally no upside to what he's saying so in my eyes he's a ***head and a villain.

I've never had a paella but that's not cos of bigotry it's just because I hate Spain, Spaniards and everything to do with that stupid country!!!  :@

Petition to the mods to change CT's name to Chorizo Time.

- Poor performances

- Flipping the fans

- Attitude on pitch

- Bust up with Karanka

Poor performances is fair enough reason as is flipping the fans or rather a fan if that's what actually happened.  

The bust up with Karanka is a bit different though as he's on a long list of players who fell out with him or that he fell out with.  Claiming some players don't want to be here is simple honesty I'm afraid as some of them clearly didn't/don't and either aren't here now or will shortly be on their way.  I'm not sure he can be labelled a villain for stating the truth even if it's a truth that some people don't seem to want to hear.

Conjecture alert: Anyone contributing to internal disturbance and - allegedly - trying to rally teammates for his own course (or the club's course if you see him as a protagonist) is, in my book, villainesque behavior. What good will ever come out of it? If there were huge issues with the management of Karanka, I'm sure Gibson would have heard of it and dealt with it accordingly. 

For me, it sounds like Downing is trying to paint a picture in which he's the protagonist and Karanka (and I assume certain players of foreign descent) the antagonist(s). I don't think he's in any position to slate certain players for their commitment. That's only for a handful few in the club to declare, and even less so publicly. 

Arguably, the turbulence, whether created by Downing, Karanka, Ramirez, Valdes or anyone else, will have an effect on the pitch. The dauphin is just trying to put himself in the top of the hierarchy again.

EDIT: Well, D.Z pretty much said what I did in 2 sentences.

It makes him a hypocrite maybe, not sure it makes him a villain.

When he doesn't name names it merely fuels rumours and contributes to the disharmony in the locker room. There's literally no upside to what he's saying so in my eyes he's a ***head and a villain.

We know who the names are or at least people with some sense can see it quite easily for themselves. The players won't give a *** about what Downing has said as they already know what's going on as they are living it each day. Do you need someone to tell you that Ramirez has been a passenger?  Or Barragan? The fact that he has been a passenger himself (I think he has anyway) makes him a hypocrite unless he has very little self awareness I guess.  There's no way he's put it all in this season, or last season actually.  He's been another dud signing we've made over the last couple of years, makes no difference to me where he's from as everyone I knows I just hate everything Boro related.

Petition to the mods to change CT's name to Chorizo Time.

Denied.

Conjecture alert: Anyone contributing to internal disturbance and - allegedly - trying to rally teammates for his own course (or the club's course if you see him as a protagonist) is, in my book, villainesque behavior. What good will ever come out of it? If there were huge issues with the management of Karanka, I'm sure Gibson would have heard of it and dealt with it accordingly. 

For me, it sounds like Downing is trying to paint a picture in which he's the protagonist and Karanka (and I assume certain players of foreign descent) the antagonist(s). I don't think he's in any position to slate certain players for their commitment. That's only for a handful few in the club to declare, and even less so publicly. 

Arguably, the turbulence, whether created by Downing, Karanka, Ramirez, Valdes or anyone else, will have an effect on the pitch. The dauphin is just trying to put himself in the top of the hierarchy again.

I see so Karanka was the biggest villain of them all then in your eyes as he contributed more to internal disturbances than any other employee of the club?

Karanka fell out with some players and staff in the period before he left and it had nothing whatsoever to do with Downing.

I think some people have created a fictionalised account of what has happened here this season which sees the innocent and well meaning Aitor Karanka undermined by the machiavellian machinations of Stewart Downing.  I don't really understand why this is unless you choose to ignore every other bit of information that has come out related to this.  It's fairly clear where the main fault lies this season. Downing certainly has his share of it but there are bigger villains for us this season unfortunately.

No you haven't. You keep saying it's for his poor performances but plenty of other players have had worse seasons. Like you said if you want to believe he's to blame for Karanka leaving that's your prerogative. I think it's wrong, but it's your decision.

- Poor performances

- Flipping the fans

- Attitude on pitch

- Bust up with Karanka

- Poor performances - No problem with this one but does that alone make him a villain? Given how many players have grossly underperformed this season?

- Attitude on pitch - i suggest you watch past Stewart Downing performances throughout his career. You might understand then that he isn't a 'blood and guts' player.

- Claiming some players don't want to be here in a post-season interview published on mfc.co.uk adding support to previous rumours.  - You'll have to explain this one to me.

You haven't asked me any questions. None that i can work out anyway.

I think defining Villain is rapidly becoming a necessity. 

- No, which why I've listed many more things. 

- Multiple articles. And I think Red Rocket confirmed it too as she saw it. I did not see it with my own eyes, so I guess we'll cross it off as conjecture.

- Thank you for a quick recap of his playing style. I never expected Downing to two-foot anyone out of sheer love for the club. I am referring to his general strutting about with next to no effort in any part of the game except running for a set piece. This is exaggerating, but I don't have the memory nor video material to back it up. We'll cross it off as conjecture for good measure. 

- It doesn't matter what I say anyway. 

- Conjecture. But it has to do with the bust up with Karanka, club culture, squad harmony and other intangible concepts. But really, it doesn't matter what I say, does it? 

You are not living under a rock and you've probably read the same articles I have. Heck, you've discussed them more than I have. I am sure you know what I am referring to in the above bullet points. 

My question to you: Why is Ramirez a Villain, and what makes it different from Downing?

I see so Karanka was the biggest villain of them all then in your eyes as he contributed more to internal disturbances than any other employee of the club?

Karanka fell out with some players and staff in the period before he left and it had nothing whatsoever to do with Downing.

I think some people have created a fictionalised account of what has happened here this season which sees the innocent and well meaning Aitor Karanka undermined by the machiavellian machinations of Stewart Downing.  I don't really understand why this is unless you choose to ignore every other bit of information that has come out related to this.  It's fairly clear where the main fault lies this season. Downing certainly has his share of it but there are bigger villains for us this season unfortunately.

I sort of knew this was one coming. I baited myself, didn't I? 

Naturally, Karanka will be the one responsible for the bust-up as Downing probably didn't do it for no reason at all. I guess it comes down to differences in philosophies and man management (and arguably team selection, can't have Downing out of that one)

My problem with Downing is his - alleged - clique recruitment in an effort to stand up to Karanka. That's it. You can have bust-ups with the manager, it's only natural, but the moment you drag other people into it, you risk the harmony of the squad. Think about it, you instantly create an environment of "US V THEM" - Those who disagree with Karanka and those who do not. The players should be professionals and disregard it completely, but I don't think even you can deny feelings and personal well-being has an influence on the player's performance. 

What I am clumsily trying to say is Downing's dispute with Karanka may have had an unnecessary effect on the entire team. Even if Karanka is truly the villain through his miserable management, I still think Downing is in no right to undermine his authority. 

Also, for good measure. All of the above is based on articles, rumours, information on this forum, my own analysis of the situation. Conjecture at its finest.

Sorry if this is incoherent.

So you're labelling him a villain based on something that may have happened but you don't actually know for certain what did happen in actuality. I believe that's why Humpty questioned your reasoning right there my friend.