oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's "smash the league" assurance

That "smash the league" expression certainly raised expectations hereabouts so how is Giibbo doing so far?

It's 1st of july, we've got our new manager installed and he's got his own team coming in so we've completed the first, essential stage of our journey back to the promised land. it would be churlish to award the chairman much less than full marks for recruiting a manager who was many fans' first choice and so I rate his early progress at a highly encouraging 9/10.

Keep up the good work, Mr Gibson.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

7/10 - decent managerial appointment who was probably the best we had available to us. Could be unfair to mark him down but we have added anyone, or even look particularly close to adding anyone, so I'll stick with 7/10 for now.

I'd say we are a very long way off smashing this league to be honest. I think we need 7 high quality acquisitions (if friend, Gibson, de roon) leave, if we want to win the league. GK, CB, LB, CM, 2x AMC/WINGERS and a CF

Il hold my judgement till the season kicks off but I'd say we are top 6 at best ATM

Steve Gibson has shot himself in the foot by saying we'll smash the league. Should have just said we'll build the foundations for future success which it looks like he's doing.

I fully believe Steve's intentions to smash the league but in all likelihood it's not that simple. A statement like that instantly ups the price of players that the club needs to bring in. On top of that, other clubs know we have money so again they'll dig their feet over price.

Realistically we need to bring in at least 6 or 7 quality players and looking at the prices been banded around at the moment that could cost us easy 50 million.

Can see it ending in tears as our fans spit the dummy out at the slightest thing and when we're not top the league by the end of September the boo boys will come out.

Having said all that, I fully believe with time, Garry Monk will succeed at this club if the fans are patient

The transfer window only opened today, for those moaning that we haven't brought anyone in yet.

Yep. Basically this. How many teams in the championship have actually bought anyone of significance? Most teams have simply trimmed their squad like us, and made sure any unwanted players have gone out. None of our rivals have done anything, apart from Wednesday who have likely spent most of their money on Rhodes.

We're in good shape to start priming the squad and adding those players that we want.

Does anyone think it could be a tactic to sell first and get best market price on outgoing players rather than overloading the squad and having to settle for lower fees and/or risk being left with unwanted wage bills?

Really think people are over thinking the smash the league comment. In my opinion it means the manager and coaching staff will be given every opportunity to achieve promotion. Don't want to sell a player, you don't have too regardless of fee offered (thinking of DeRoon and Gibbo there). Want a player we'll pay what is required (obviously they won't go in with a top bid I expect every first bid for any player will be rejected) And most importantly if we need to tweak in January then there'll be funds ready for that to.

All of this I expect to be true. What I don't want is if we do a Brighton and comfortably finish second is that some fans moan/criticise because we didn't 'Smash' the league. Which personally I don't think any team in the championship can do this season

Really think people are over thinking the smash the league comment. In my opinion it means the manager and coaching staff will be given every opportunity to achieve promotion. Don't want to sell a player, you don't have too regardless of fee offered (thinking of DeRoon and Gibbo there). Want a player we'll pay what is required (obviously they won't go in with a top bid I expect every first bid for any player will be rejected) And most importantly if we need to tweak in January then there'll be funds ready for that to.

All of this I expect to be true. What I don't want is if we do a Brighton and comfortably finish second is that some fans moan/criticise because we didn't 'Smash' the league. Which personally I don't think any team in the championship can do this season

I feel perhaps that you're the one over thinking it mate.  There's no ambiguity in what he said, no hidden meaning.  If you want you could argue that he was overly emotional owing to the failure of last season but I don't think you can really spin what he said to mean anything other than what he said.  He wants us to smash the league or he certainly wants the fans to believe that he does.  It's a fairly basic statement to make.

I feel perhaps that you're the one over thinking it mate.  There's no ambiguity in what he said, no hidden meaning.  If you want you could argue that he was overly emotional owing to the failure of last season but I don't think you can really spin what he said to mean anything other than what he said.  He wants us to smash the league or he certainly wants the fans to believe that he does.  It's a fairly basic statement to make.

Believe me mate I've never over thought anything in my life :s

:)

:)

Wanting something isn't the same as promising it though