oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's "smash the league" assurance

Gibson didn't promise anything but a statement about wanting to smash the league was a pretty bold statement.

While I didn't expect any Paul Merson type signings I expected to sign some of the best players in the Championship.

Let's see what happens, actions will speak louder than words but I have a horrible feeling that this statement is going to come back to haunt him.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think it matters whether he said "will" or "want" (to smash the league). If anyone else had made the remark you could argue that the difference between "will" and "want" is that one word suggests a fair bit of expectation while the other leans more towards wish fulfilment.

However, it was the chairman who said it and if Steve Gibson says he wants something for the club, then surely a nod's as good as a wink, isn't it? Nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

I think it was a poor statement from Gibson, it has raised the expectation from the fans further and now we all expect big signings etc.

The pressure that has also put on the squad and new manager wasn't required, especially after what was the worst season ever as a boro fan.

I would of been happy with him coming out and just saying the aim is to come back at first attempt. There was no need to "smash the league".

You will not see big players drop down divisions to join us like Merson did.

I expect to see 5/6 experienced championship quality players to be brought in with a few unknown foreigners.

Quite agree and thought so at the time. Enormous pressure and expectations from a basic core of players who simply could not cope last season.

We will be the team to beat this season of that I have no doubt and so incoming signings simply have to be a cut above the rest in order for Boro to get anywhere near to the statement that probably will come back to haunt Mr. Gibson.

I really don't think it matters whether he said "will" or "want" (to smash the league). If anyone else had made the remark you could argue that the difference between "will" and "want" is that one word suggests a fair bit of expectation while the other leans more towards wish fulfilment.

However, it was the chairman who said it and if Steve Gibson says he wants something for the club, then surely a nod's as good as a wink, isn't it? Nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

I think the comment has been (and will continue to be) as inaccurately reported as lamb's comment about the 'team the fans can afford'.

Personally I thought the interview was precisely what I wanted to hear - disappointment, a broad understanding of what went wrong, acceptance that mistakes were made, but most of all the desire and passion to get back to the PL again.

He said he wants us to smash the league, but he didn't and couldn't give any guarantees. He said we would be very well resourced (potential the best in the league), with a good core of players that have done it at this level last time round and therefore would have all the necessary ingredients of achieving his aim.

Take it for what it is, anything else I think is being slightly pedantic.

In hindsight it wasn't the best statement to make, but we also need to appreciate that deep down Gibson is a fan like us, and in that moment he was probably speaking on emotions and not pragmatic. The transfermarket was always going to be difficult anyways because so many teams will aspire for a top-6 position and won't want to lose their best players, while players in the Premiership will want to see all their options first before dropping into the Championship. Howson is a good example of how difficult it is; player wants to leave and Norwich have to sell before they can strengthen, yet they would probably much rather sell to a Premiership team than strengthening a rival.

Gibson gets load of calls for him to come out and speak. Some want explanations of where it all went wrong some want an explanation of where we are going. But when he does speak and makes a bland comment he's taken to task about saying nothing then when he does say something it's dissected to the enth degree

Gibson gets load of calls for him to come out and speak. Some want explanations of where it all went wrong some want an explanation of where we are going. But when he does speak and makes a bland comment he's taken to task about saying nothing then when he does say something it's dissected to the enth degree

It's not being dissected to the nth degree, it's pretty clear what Gibson meant when he said it.

It's not being dissected to the nth degree, it's pretty clear what Gibson meant when he said it.

There is a hell of a lot of discussion about it over the last few pages for something that's pretty clear

There is a hell of a lot of discussion about it over the last few pages for something that's pretty clear

People are frustrated with the lack of public transfer activity and are taking it out on the chairman. For all we know he's spending all day on the phone to clubs and agents trying to get deals done.

Gibson gets load of calls for him to come out and speak.  Some want explanations of where it all went wrong some want  an explanation of where we are going. But when he does speak and makes a bland comment he's taken to task about saying nothing then when he does say something it's dissected to the enth degree

People are frustrated with the lack of public transfer activity and are taking it out on the chairman. For all we know he's spending all day on the phone to clubs and agents trying to get deals done.

Yep, a pretty straightforward and honest statement has (not for the first time) been used as a rod to beat him over the head with.

He wants us to go up and with style, who doesn't - it was an honest (if slightly emotive) answer to a direct question?

Gibson gets load of calls for him to come out and speak.  Some want explanations of where it all went wrong some want  an explanation of where we are going. But when he does speak and makes a bland comment he's taken to task about saying nothing then when he does say something it's dissected to the enth degree

Yep, a pretty straightforward and honest statement has (not for the first time) been used as a rod to beat him over the head with.

He wants us to go up and with style, who doesn't - it was an honest (if slightly emotive) answer to a direct question?

I completely agree. I will never put him down for being passionate

I can only assume that the confusion over Gibsons meaning behind his "smash the league" comment is based on the performances following his "give it a real go" statement after our promotion, because in any other circumstance "smash the league" basically would require no re-defining.