oneBoro Forum

Boro clarify transfer facts - Gazette will not interview the manager or players

Unless the club found themselves in a bit of a legal issue with Orta it would surprise me if that was the reason. That article almost enabled the blame and excuses for our poor showing last season to be directed his way and to a point it reduced the negativity and finger pointing as to what was to blame.

With what has happened now all the speculation and negativity is rearing it's ugly head again. A line was drawn under last seasons debacle but now we have got ourselves beginning to turn this into a soap opera.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

• 5 months later...

FAQs on The Gazette's situation with Middlesbrough FC

" This weekend marks six months since a Gazette reporter was prevented from speaking to former Boro manager Garry Monk .

Dominic Shaw was told he wasn't welcome to interview Monk after a friendly with Mansfield.

The situation was repeated days later when Jonathon Taylor was prevented from speaking to Monk following a pre-season game at Rochdale.

Since the reporting restrictions have been enforced, The Gazette hasn't published quotes from club management or players and hasn't used press facilities at the Riverside.

Readers regularly ask for an update on the situation and as a result we have answered some common questions below."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/faqs-gazettes-situation-middlesbrough-fc-14185962

Good on them i say. Until the club provides any reasonable explanation i think they're doing the right thing. I remember how much we laughed at Newcastle when they banned the Chronicle for balanced reporting. The same is happening to us and it's not right.

In my eyes, they're making themselves look very petty. The senior 'journalists' are still free to the speak to the club and should be.

The Gazette isn't banned, why don't you just send other reporters?

It is true that Anthony Vickers and Philip Tallentire are still welcome to attend press conferences and use the press facilities at the Riverside, but The Gazette objects to MFC deciding which of our journalists can report on its activities.

The same would apply if a local council, police force or health trust attempted to impose similar restrictions.

Independent publishers must be free to make their own editorial decisions.

If they continued by sending Vickers and/or Tallentire they'd be telling the club they're alright with them dictating who can do what.

I actually think its the club being petty on this one. Whether people like the EG or not, it really is a matter of principle. MFC shouldn't be dictating who can or cannot report on the team.

They may well have a perfectly valid reason for not allowing Dom Shaw and Jonathan Taylor in - so why not just say and put the whole thing to bed?

It did align with the club really starting to push its own social media and re-vamp of the website... so being cynical I would guess they wanted to bring traffic from the EG to their official site.

Gazette are being petty and are always publishing articles with snide headlines aimed at the club, meanwhile the club are doing similar.

It's just stupid all around. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the reason Dominic Shaw and Jonathan Taylor were banned is because of their post match reaction videos under Monk which were accused by the club of aiming to turn fans against him (arguably you can say fans would turn against Monk regardless of the videos.)

Gazette are being petty and are always publishing articles with snide headlines aimed at the club, meanwhile the club are doing similar.

It's just stupid all around. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the reason Dominic Shaw and Jonathan Taylor were banned is because of their post match reaction videos under Monk which were accused by the club of aiming to turn fans against him (arguably you can say fans would turn against Monk regardless of the videos.)

They were banned like almost immediately upon Monk being hired though so how does that work out?

It's more likely they were banned for negative pieces on last year.

At least I don't need to do a survey to read an mfc article :D

You don't have to....

You know what he means :rolleyes:

It's a terrible site. It's an advert fest, plus a resource hog unless you have a super duper computer.

At least I don't need to do a survey to read an mfc article :D

You don't have to....

You know what he means :rolleyes:

It's a terrible site. It's an advert fest, plus a resource hog unless you have a super duper computer.

You don't have to do a survey though...