oneBoro Forum

Boro clarify transfer facts - Gazette will not interview the manager or players

This journo's theory is it may be something to do with the release of the new website and wanting to control the content a lot more rather than let this third party do most or all of the talking.

It's one I had considered myself, certainly given the more active content writing from the club since the re-launch. And it would certainly back up my theory that there is no personal gripe with the two reporters in question, simply that the club wants less content for them to write about to gain the traffic it wants from the Gazette's site.

If this is the case, it certainly wasn't the best way of going about it. Surely there was a more amicable way of discussing content strategy between the two.

If this is the reason then why ban the two reporters mentioned?

The club could of just reduced the gazette press passes from 4 to 2

They could have but again it comes to them wanting to reduce the ease of which the Gazette do their reporting and the seniority that they allow within their ranks.  They want more control over their content and their output, they want to start reducing the need for the Gazette in giving them a more positive image but they still see value in them. So they try keeping Phil (the editor) and Vickers (the most senior and recognised writer) around.

This is just speculation but again, I really don't think this is a personal attack on the two reporters in question. Or perhaps it would be correct to say that it wasn't INTENDED as a personal attack, I'm sure Shaw and Taylor feel that it is.

You ought to win the war about gaining readers by offering better quality and not by banning outside journalists. I for one will only read bits from the club as their "articles" are often short and without much substance. Personally I think the Gazette offers a much better take on things and I doubt you will ever see a single critical article from the club or difficult questions to Monk or the players.

So just like the Gazette then? They only brought the knives out after people had gone, Karanka, Orta, etc. They've only gone after the club after the club drew first blood.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I think people on here take the Gazette for granted, the amount of Gazette articles that get shared on this forum people would soon start missing them if they suddenly and completely stopped reporting on anything Boro.

Nah. The articles are a result of their relationship with the club. Who's to say the club won't strike up a similar relationship with the Echo?

I won't miss them. AV trying to be controversial for the sake of it and don't get me started on Tallentire.

I've rapidly gone off the gazette, especially since the introduction of the premium content

The premium content isn't really their fault - Trinity Mirror started running it, and used the two  regional papers with the best fan coverage (the Gazette and the Liverpool Echo) as guinea pigs as they put it out as a trial. The EG didn't really have a say.

The Gazette also rang the media people at the Boro and explained the situation, and the club were quite helpful with offering advice etc. So this spat probably has little to do with the premium content service.

I've got no time for Vickers and Tallantire but the club have made themselves look really bad here.

Steve Gibson is happy to take the plaudits when things are going well so he's got to be a bit thicker skinned if the Gazette write things he doesn't like. It's a dangerous road to go down when people try to control and censor the media.

Maybe the Gazette will remove themselves from the club's backside now and start to write like an independent newspaper instead of the club's PR department.

^No one has any idea what it's actually over, so that's just hearsay or speculation.

At the end of the day the Gazette isn't going anywhere. But if they did, someone else would move in and take the space. You'd probably even get a more modern approach.

I've got no time for Vickers and Tallantire but the club have made themselves look really bad here.

Steve Gibson is happy to take the plaudits when things are going well so he's got to be a bit thicker skinned if the Gazette write things he doesn't like. It's a dangerous road to go down when people try to control and censor the media.

Maybe the Gazette will remove themselves from the club's backside now and start to write like an independent newspaper instead of the club's PR department.

This would make sense, but it cannot be true.

Tallentire was the most critical by some distance over Karanka and last season and he himself along with Vickers are still welcome by the club.

It's Shaw and Taylor, so either there has been a specific incident that has occurred that we are not aware about, or it's the fact that they are the most junior members out of the 4. I personally think it is the former, whether just or unjust.

I think the EG need the Club more than the other way round obviously. But at the same time, the EG isn't the best enemy to make if we go on a winless streak covering a few weeks for example.

The EG have gone into bat for the Club a few times and have quelled potential issues before the fans got onto the club about it. The EG could definitely start to sway fan's attitude to the club, players or staff and that's not good for ultimately anyone.

Well it seems like the club want to be the ones to deal with those issues now. If the club truly do want direct traffic of information to the fans rather than through a third party outlet, we should be pretty thankful.

Whether that will be executed to the expectations of the fans is questionable but the MSF has now been set up to deal with issues that come from different sections of fans, we've already seen responses to questions surrounding the iFollow platform for example.

As some have noted regarding the premium content, whilst it is not necessarily the fault of the Gazette, so far I can see why most fans wouldn't want to sign up to it.

Anyone notice that after each of these MFC and EG bust ups a new anti-Gaston article appears. It wouldn't surprise me if MFC don't appreciate their players being put on blast in the press and that's what the original press ban was for. Now with each new back and forth the EG are hitting out with similar articles.

a snippet from an article around the time of the press ban written by Jonathan Taylor:

"One thing is for certain - there'll be few people who shed a tear if Gaston Ramirez leaves the club this summer.

The Uruguayan sparkled on occasions during the first half of Boro's campaign, playing a vital role in Boro's wins over Sunderland, Hull and Swansea.

But his time on Teesside has since unravelled, after handing in a transfer request in January.

He was reintegrated into the squad - but flattered to deceive, and fingers have been pointed at him of late amid reports of dressing room unrest that possibly hindered Boro's survival bid."

Any perspective club reading of him causing dressing room unrest (which is pure conjecture) could seriously hinder their ability to sell him, or get the price they're holding out for...

Am I the only one (other than Maz) who really doesn't care!

I think we're all better off for the Gazette and the Boro not being at war, however i think it has zero impact on the team/squad.