oneBoro Forum

Boro clarify transfer facts - Gazette will not interview the manager or players

I can't get upset about The Gazette getting a mauling off the club. It was a good paper when it was independent and the special relationship with the club has eroded even further since The Trinity Mirror Group took over.

The golden age of The Gazette has long gone, as they kicked off into the blustery new age of Journalism. :D

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

And on it goes

"Following Wednesday's friendly at Mansfield, reporting restrictions were placed on The Gazette.

Our journalist Dominic Shaw was informed by Middlesbrough Football Club he was not welcome to interview manager Garry Monk."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gazette-not-publish-interview-middlesbrough-13358358#ICID=sharebar_twitter

New twist with the Gazette now not interviewing Monk or the players as the club won't speak to Dom Shaw or Jonathon Taylor. (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gazette-not-publish-interview-middlesbrough-13358358)

To be honest I don't mind where we get news from, as long as we get it. If Boro want to manage it then fine but make sure we get enough good content. (Maybe bring Vickers in house?). The Gazette lost me when they brought in the premium rubbish.

This has definitely got to be a backlash for all the last few months of articles from the EG.

It's not hard to know who our targets are or which manager we are after as they feed us into it days/weeks before they happen (Monk/Assombalonga are the two examples that spring to mind)

I'm sure the club didnt appreciate all their dirty laundry (Karanka, Orta, Leo, player rifts) all coming out too along with the article saying that all the senior hierarchy are accountable for last season.

They may also see this as an opportunity to do it in-house and no longer use the EG as their mouthpiece.

I wonder if Tallentire regrets saying all that stuff about Boro not holding press conferences for new signing or the club not providing biscuits!!?

Interestingly this has been kicking off behind the scenes for a while. In that article it states Shaw wasn't welcome as far back as Monk's unveiling in June.

Seem to remember the Danish FA did this a few years ago with the staff and players. It did not end well at all for the FA. Shutting out the media like this, especially the local paper is madness from Boros point of view. Placing that kind of restrictions on the media in this day and age is a big no-no. Can't see the club gaining anything from this at all. I'm never reading anything on the clubs website anyway as it's bound to be rose tinted to the extreme. Very disappointed in the club.

Certainly find it strange that it's Shaw and Taylor that aren't allowed to do interviews.

I guess the club feel they are not the senior reporters and thus are more capable of slip-ups? I imagine Tallentire and Vickers are the 2 they trust the most. Though I wouldn't trust Phillip as far as I could throw him.

Think teapot raised a good point here:

Wonder what jonathon taylor and dom shaw have done...

Might they be the perceived sources of ITK leaks?

THAT is a very good point. Perhaps the club feels ITK leaks have happened as a result of this new stronger relationship. That is what Gibson's statement yesterday seemed to hint at.

Chairman, Steve Gibson said: "We want to be as open as possible with the fans, but know they will appreciate there are occasions when the inappropriate or premature release of information can be detrimental to getting a deal completed.

“We will be acting at all times to ensure the best interests of the Club. There are occasions when ill informed speculation is very unhelpful."

This is a baffling development... to be honest it's hard to sympathise with either side as clearly something has gone on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. The Gazette are bound to run their line - protecting journalistic integrity, defending their own, denying fault, etc. and the club are bound to run their line - it's their right to publish their own information as and when they want, access to the inner circle of the club is not a right, and so on.

The whole thing is bizarre and seemingly unnecessary.

Them being banned from monks unveiling suggests this comes from above rather than the management team. It's also telling that certain individuals from the gazette have been banned rather than the whole publication. What I find strange is that apparently the club haven't told the gazette why they are banned? If it was some serious form of misconduct surely the club would have made a proper complaint? What a mess

Think teapot raised a good point here:

Wonder what jonathon taylor and dom shaw have done...

Might they be the perceived sources of ITK leaks?

THAT is a very good point. Perhaps the club feels ITK leaks have happened as a result of this new stronger relationship. That is what Gibson's statement yesterday seemed to hint at.

Chairman, Steve Gibson said: "We want to be as open as possible with the fans, but know they will appreciate there are occasions when the inappropriate or premature release of information can be detrimental to getting a deal completed.

“We will be acting at all times to ensure the best interests of the Club. There are occasions when ill informed speculation is very unhelpful."

When was the last time the gazette reported information that wasn't already available?

And it's nothing recent because this goes back all the way to monks appointment.

I'm not sure it was wise of the gazette to go public with this. Don't think boro would lose much sleep over being less connected with the paper. Can only see one winner here