oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) 0-1

Wolves fan in peace. Posted here before a few times.

Quick reminder for Boro fans going to the game on Sat, there will be tributes both before and during the game for our goalkeeper Carl Ikeme (was on loan at Boro once) who was sadly diagnosed with Leukaemia over the summer.

Should be a cracking game. Boro have the strongest squad in the league IMO but we've signed some absolutely ridiculous players this summer and should be aiming for top 6 at the very least.

Strengths: Our best players for this one (Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaliero are unavailable) will obviously be Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Willy Boly. All of whom we had absolutely no right to be signing and should be too good for the division. A few to look out for are Barry Douglas the LWB who has looked excellent in pre season and Connor Ronan, a very talented youngster who might be called upon to fill in for Costa/Cavaleiro.

Weaknesses: Not sure if it can really be called a weakness yet but we'll be playing a new 3-4-3 formation and there will obviously be a few kinks still to iron out so early on in the season. We've repurposed Conor Coady (*** centre mid, okay right back) as the middle of the 3 centre backs, so far he actually looks quite good there but he's one that Monk will obviously looking to target. We're also quite short up front as Nouha ***o picked up a knock that kept him out of the Leicester game and we've only just signed Leo Bonatini today so I'm not sure how ready he'll be.

Anyway, good luck to you lot for the coming season. If everything goes to plan for both of us we should be fighting it out at the top all season long!

Great post here mate and glad to see an opposing fan giving their view. Have a few friends who are Wolves fans so hoping for a well fought and entertaining game. Your signings have been great. Best of luck with the season. You can cement second place ;)

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolves have made some quality signings and this now looks like one of the hardest away games we will face all season. Expect Wolves to be Top 6 , pushing the automatics. Maybe lack strength in depth but if they can keep all the new lads fit they could be a force.

We have also made some great signings and should be looking at an automatic spot without a doubt. We have a strength in depth that others lack and (on paper) a quality first 11 / bench.

As has been said by others we usually start slowly though so on that basis a draw would be a good start it could just as easily end up as a tight 2-1 to one of us , no idea which though.

Heart rules, so its 2-1 to the Boro with Britt and Braithwaite grabbing our goals

Great to see opposition fans again. Don't remember any in the prem! Glory supporters the lot of em ;)

Reckon it'll be a draw. As others have said, we always seem to draw in the first game. 1-1. Bamford to put us one up, then a wolves equaliser.

Getting excited now. Just wish the first game was at home!

Is our squad and starting eleven not stronger than our promotion winning team of two seasons ago? Defence is fairly similar (as things stand), attacking options much better, we should be confident, should we not? people keep talking about top six, surely top two automatic spots are within our sights? we may take time to gel with the new players but I'm exited by the changes and our prospects for the new season. C'mon Boro!

How good actually is Ruben Neves btw? I've heard all the hype around him but I don't really know all that much about him.

Juve, Monaco, United, Liverpool & Chelsea fans wanted him before he came to Wolves with fees of £25-30M being thrown around. Not saying he would've started for any of those teams but they were excited by his potential. Porto fans called accepting £15.8M for him 'the worst transfer in the history of FC Porto' (they're a very melodramatic lot...).

All of that sounds a bit ridiculous really but that's genuinely how highly he's rated. As I said, we had no right to sign him but that's the kind of reach our association with Mendes gives us.

How good actually is Ruben Neves btw? I've heard all the hype around him but I don't really know all that much about him.

Juve, Monaco, United, Liverpool & Chelsea fans wanted him before he came to Wolves with fees of £25-30M being thrown around. Not saying he would've started for any of those teams but they were excited by his potential. Porto fans called accepting £15.8M for him 'the worst transfer in the history of FC Porto' (they're a very melodramatic lot...).

All of that sounds a bit ridiculous really but that's genuinely how highly he's rated. As I said, we had no right to sign him but that's the kind of reach our association with Mendes gives us.

If they were interested at £30m, why didn't they move when he was available for £16m? It makes no sense.

If they were interested at £30m, why didn't they move when he was available for £16m? It makes no sense.

Uncle Jorge.

mendes.jpg

Uncle Jorge.

mendes.jpg

The other option is you got him for much closer to his true value (still a coup for you, but there's no way Mendes sends him to you if Milan, Chelsea, Monaco, Juve etc. Are interested). Portuguese clubs always massively overrate their talent (not helped by their national media being borderline crazy) so I doubt he's as good as they are claiming, or that this transfer is as big a shock as they're claiming.

Uncle Jorge.

mendes.jpg

The other option is you got him for much closer to his true value (still a coup for you, but there's no way Mendes sends him to you if Milan, Chelsea, Monaco, Juve etc. Are interested). Portuguese clubs always massively overrate their talent (not helped by their national media being borderline crazy) so I doubt he's as good as they are claiming, or that this transfer is as big a shock as they're claiming.

Porto needed money fast to pass FFP for the year so that's no doubt some of the reason we got him at a hugely cut price. As for Jorge sending him to one of the other clubs, he's tied to us now with Fosun's investment in Gestifute, it's in his best interests to send us the best players he possibly can, as proven by this summers recruitment and the permanent signing of Helder Costa.

Look, I'd be equally dubious if another club in the Championship was doing what we were doing but I'm not going to come on here and undersell Neves or Jota when someone has asked me a direct question about how good they are. Like I said, we had no right to sign either of them but we have.

Just to complete the circle, I signed up to one of the Wolves forums and started a thread about the game and also directed them this way:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/boro-fan-in-peace.197298/#post-5071355

What a nice forum.

This one is much better http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?2-Wolves

This one is better still :P