oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) 0-1

I know there's more to come from us but it's so frustrating and annoying to come off the back of relegation from the Premier League and wait 3 months for the new season to start whilst getting all hyped up and excited, only to see that and have it to ruin my weekend. The manner in which we conceded the goal made it 10x worse as well, so embarrassing. The next game always seems an age away after a loss, this week is gonna drag.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's more to come from us but it's so frustrating and annoying to come off the back of relegation from the Premier League and wait 3 months for the new season to start whilst getting all hyped up and excited, only to see that and have it to ruin my weekend. The manner in which we conceded the goal made it 10x worse as well, so embarrassing. The next game always seems an age away after a loss, this week is gonna drag.

feel exactly the same way mate, probably unrealistic we where guna smash them but i thought after the positive attacking display against ausberg we would atleast grab a goal or two.

and instead im sat here in a foul mood which i guess is the same after any loss but even worse when you spend 30m+ on strikers.

like the others said we literally have 0 link up between the midfield and the strikers and that has to change period, you cant expect the forwards to just create chances for themselves unless you're messi/ronaldo.

anyways not all doom and gloom, 2 home games b2b against sheff united and burton and i'd fully expect 6 points from those.

chin up lads UTB

Looking forward to reading posts from members who were at the game, Humpty where are you?

On reflection apart from the mistake both teams were evenly matched a goal less or low score draw would have been a fair result.

Early days

Was at the game yesterday, got to say the biggest thing that stopped us playing decent football was the way wolves set up with lots of width when attacking and then as soon as we had the ball they flooded the midfield with 5 players. The midfield combo of MDR, Clayton & Howson didnt ever control the game and if we we are going to play Clayton in between the two centre backs we need the other midfield two to be able to carry the ball forward! The width wolves played with left both Friend and Christie very exposed and the packed midfield by wolves meant we never got the ball out wide quick enough!

Wolves did look threatening at times but apart from Ayala gifting them the goal we were comfortable, we should of taken at least two of our chances and when Bamford came on he linked the play and had very good movement and linked up with the rest of the forward line more effectively than Fletcher.

Good analysis Alves, it was mentioned on the radio yesterday that we were leaving 3 strikers quite high up the pitch early in the game and getting overrun in midfield.

This seems a very brave tactic away from home especially against a pretty decent team, I don't mind this system at home where we can press high up the pitch but away from home we are going to get outmanned in midfield.

I'm not going to start ripping into Garry Monk this early into his reign but it does worry me that he's been out thought tactically already. You can give him credit for changing things but it's not a habit we want to get into.

The glaring weakness from last season was a lack of flair and creativity and we still haven't addressed the biggest problem in the team. I'm surprised that this wasn't the first position we looked to strengthen.

One game in and should I be concerned? I say yes and I'll tell you why. When you make statements about blitzing the league, and the only priority is returning to the Premier at the first attempt, it is concerning. On the proformance so far this is not a team that demands respect and others fear, it's a team others will quite willingly set up to challenge. Nor is this a team that has shown indicators of gaining more wins than draws or losses. Many have made bold statements of intent and the media has willingly obliged in support. But we know how tough this league is and to remain at the top, every single game must produce points. If there is business still to do I suggest it's done very quickly because, if we aren't at the top over the next 3-5 games we could well be partaking not leading.

Wolves deserve credit and I think that we would of like to change our set up but the bench didn't really allow for it as no one really on the bench who could offer any width! I expect us to play like wolves did at home with Clayton effectively an centre back and allowing Friend and Christie to play as high as the wolves wing backs. Shows we've got work to do and remind some people how hard the championship really is! Only thing which was a negative from yesterday was the distribution from DR wasn't great his kicking seem to fall short

One game in and should I be concerned? I say yes and I'll tell you why. When you make statements about blitzing the league, and the only priority is returning to the Premier at the first attempt, it is concerning. On the proformance so far this is not a team that demands respect and others fear, it's a team others will quite willingly set up to challenge. Nor is this a team that has shown indicators of gaining more wins than draws or losses. Many have made bold statements of intent and the media has willingly obliged in support. But we know how tough this league is and to remain at the top, every single game must produce points. If there is business still to do I suggest it's done very quickly because, if we aren't at the top over the next 3-5 games we could well be partaking not leading.

Wolves could be one of the contenders in The Championship this season, and we've only lost 1-0 AWAY, to a goal that we gifted them.

We can win five or six games in a row in this division. When a team does that they fly up the table.

Far too early to be concerned.

Good analysis Alves, it was mentioned on the radio yesterday that we were leaving 3 strikers quite high up the pitch early in the game and getting overrun in midfield.

This seems a very brave tactic away from home especially against a pretty decent team, I don't mind this system at home where we can press high up the pitch but away from home we are going to get outmanned in midfield.

I'm not going to start ripping into Garry Monk this early into his reign but it does worry me that he's been out thought tactically already. You can give him credit for changing things but it's not a habit we want to get into.

The glaring weakness from last season was a lack of flair and creativity and we still haven't addressed the biggest problem in the team. I'm surprised that this wasn't the first position we looked to strengthen.

I don't know if he was out-thought. Yes first half we were poor but apart from the gifted goal, Wolves weren't blowing us away, just stifling our play. Second half Monk brought on Bamford and Forshaw before the hour mark and made a big difference, so that to me shows that Monk wasn't tactically inferior to Nuno.

I think Ruddy should have been sent off but I haven't seen a replay of it so I don't know for sure.

I think if the game was 0-0 we all would have taken that and been more positive and barring a stupid mistake it was. I think there were some encouraging signs yesterday that we will be happy more times than not this year.

I must agree with whoever said that De Roon showed Yakubu levels of commitment. I think if that's the case we should get rid of him and Adama and re-invest fully the money from both on their replacements.

What difference does it make if we're at the top over the next 3-5 games. It's a 46 game season.

It took ages for Newcastle to get going last year, and in the Premier League they said City were going to run away with it after they won 7 games in a row, by the end of the season they just scraped Champions League...

We shouldn't be blind to the lack of Creativity and link up play in the midfield, but we shouldn't overreact after the first game of the season.

I was there, didn't think Wolves were anything special at all. It had 0-0 written all over this game until Ayala played that pathetic pass when he could of passed it back to Randolph or Got rid up the field. Positives for me are we created chances even tho we played poorly, Monk made early subs and they all had an impact especially Bamford who has to start next game for me. We didn't look like a team yesterday more like individual's so hopefully things are rectified on the training ground this week and we pick up 3 points on Sat. Boro have a quality squad but we must realise we have to give Monk time and these players a chance. Some of our fans yesterday were disgraceful and the expectations are promotion/smashing the league but one result from our first game doesn't mean its over does it? Some of these fans think its gonna be a walk in the park. Let's see where we are in and how we are playing after 10 games.

I think we are being a bit harsh on ourselves, having had a look on the Wolves forum, almost every single one of them is relieved to get away with a win and says we deserved at least a draw.

I think we are being a bit harsh on ourselves, having had a look on the Wolves forum, almost every single one of them is relieved to get away with a win and says we deserved at least a draw.

I wonder how many times this will be said during the season. This is probably why the Championship is so ridiculously hard, even for (on paper) stacked teams. 

I only watched the highlights and listened to the radio during the game, I don't feel entitled to comment on anything - except for how dreadful Ayala is to make that sort of pass. It's something U12s do from time to time..