oneBoro Forum
Tom

Boro v Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) 0-1

The important thing is there's not too many changes in the defence. How many games have Friend, Ayala and Gibson played together? LOADS LIKE.

And the other important thing is we have a different forward line, which is good, because our last forward line was terrible. Plus our manager is going to set up for a win, rather than a narrow 0-1 defeat.

I said it as he signed - Fletcher is going to be a star for us and grab the headlines on Saturday. We're not going to play convincingly well, but we're going to smash 'n grab a 2-1 and never look back. We'll play half decent but win, a real Champions performance.

UTB!

Probably couldn't have had a harder first game

In the context of the season as a whole, a point away at wolves is a decent result. Would be lovely to start with a win though and get a real feel good factor going for everybody

Probably couldn't have had a harder first game

Oh we could have. Derby, reading, Fulham and owls away would have been much harder. We are now up against a team with a new backline, new manager, and only just brought in a striker who played in saudis last season. Most of their team have no championship experience and neither do their manager plus they are missing their two biggest attacking players. They'll improve as the season goes on though.

The. First 3-5 games of a season are a bit of a lottery. Waiting for signings to gel, better pre seasons etc so things could go either way. Personally I'm hoping the fact that they struggled to score goals last season , Costa being out and it being Neves first competitive match in the championship might give us the edge. Gonna go for a tight 0-1 but a draw wouldn't be a bad result either

Just seen a wolves thread of the value of their team, the op in the thread has got a bit excited and got it to a fantastical 126million lol made a few laugh though. whats ours worth though i'll have a guesstimate for giggles see if i can get it near their crazy fans.

randolph- 5mill

friend- 8mill (rumored value when palace and watford were sniffing)

christie-3mill

ayala-15mill (think we quoted that to toon other year when sniffing)

gibbo- 25mill

clayton- 6mill

howson- 6mill

re roon- 12mill

traore- 15mill

braithwaite- 9mill

britt- 15mill

oooh nearly got to it 119million. mad how daft the prices have gone.

Same line-up as Augsburg for me. Even if we buy someone on Friday, I can't see them coming straight into the team.

We actually have a pretty good first eleven now, it is just a matter of depth, especially at CB [in my opinion].

Top OP Tom - Good work man :D

I'm with Smogsterking on this one; traditional opening day draw. 1-1 with Braithwaite to get the Boro goal.

Im going for a pang start, 3-1 to the mighty boro!

In all honesty though, its almost impossible to predict first games of the new season, a lot goes on pure adrenalin rather than tactics with everyone finding their feet and what not. Could easily be 3-1 to wolves too... either way, wont be reading too much into this result.

I am looking forward to seeing how we are attackingwise though. Have a feeling we will be scoring more goals this season, but also conceding more.

Hope the boys are buzzing and ready to get the season underway as much as us fans are!

UTB!

Tough game. I went on a few Wolves' forums, and their fans seem as excited as we are about their new manager and team. I'd be happy with a draw here. Same starting line up as FC Augsburg, please.

I'm not feeling overly optimistic regarding this game. Wolves will come out the traps all guns blazing and i'm not 100% sure what to expect from us. A home game to start would've been nice but i'll take a draw but wouldn't be surprised by a defeat whilst we find our feet a little.

Aye same think it'll be a really tough game and wouldn't be surprised if we got beat. I'd take a draw tbh, a win would obviously be great.

Guest Changing Times

3-0 Wolves. However if we really show up and play well then it'll only be 2-0 Wolves.

3-0 Wolves.  However if we really show up and play well then it'll only be 2-0 Wolves.

Is that what you really think or are you taking the ***? Can't tell these days.

• Latest Posts

• My comments are on the current team not teams of the past. I have not followed England with any particular interest over the years but the current side are young vibrant and fearless. They play a lovely brand of football and if you can’t enjoy them in their current guise then maybe international football is not for you. For you to pick holes in a defence that has conceded less than a goal a game over the entire campaign is pretty poor form for me.  England look like some good times are coming for supporters. Enjoy it while you can.
    • Jinx away my friend 🙏
    • How much time have you actually spent watching England, over the last couple of decades? Did you follow them in 2010 in South Africa, or 2016 in Brazil? Or pretty much any tournament going back to 1996?   Until last year, England have been "flat track bullies" to use a cricketing metaphor, or "dirty seal clubbers" to use a videogaming one. i.e. we're great at stomping weak opponents, but look pretty clueless as soon as we come up against decent opposition. Russia was the first time we'd made the semis of any tournament for 22 years. Not really that impressive a record. Yes, we have some great attacking players...and given good service they will score a boatload of goals. However, our defence is suspect against even "weaker" teams and we've kept clean sheets more by luck, or opponents' inability to finish, than good defending. Better teams are also more likely to dominate the midfield and make it hard for us to create scoring chances. We look particularly susceptible at set pieces and to counter-attacks. Thats not just me saying it - thats what the pundits think too.   Also, with the greatest of respect, Ireland aren't usually expected to do well in tournaments anyway. IIRC the last time they really did well was USA 1994. Whereas England have had at least a couple of so-called "golden generations" of supposedly world-class players, who were great for their clubs, but failed to deliver for their country. That kind of repeated hype and failure can make one a tad cynical. So call me a miserable git, but I don't think England have done anything to justify some of the hype and praise on here. Last year was a good platform to build on, but thats all. Yes the current team has lots of potential, but also some glaring weaknesses that WILL be ruthlessly exploited by better teams.   Prime example was last night's game. Good result (more impressive than Montenegro) and another clean sheet, but still some worrying signs at the back and careless midfield play.  
    • The Republic of Ireland may face Northern Ireland in the play-offs if they fail to beat Denmark, so that's fun.