oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) 0-1

My only gripe with that is that they must have been instructed to play across the back, And unfortunately for Danny he has been caught out. 9/10 that pass comes off.

I'm annoyed that we lost but not that fussed as in the grand scheme of things it's very early days.

What did people make of Fletcher yesterday? I'm surprised he was chosen over Bamford and Traore, but maybe after his assist v Augsburg he deserved a starting spot?

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this forumn doesn't represent the average supporter out there because I can't believe how many people are panicking after one game This was only the second time this team had ever played together away from home against one of the top teams it'll be another 4-5 games until this team shows the way it's going to play

But it is a bit unbelievable that some people have gone from we've got the best squad in the league to we are in trouble in 90 mins

Rich, if two teams manage to go on a 45 match unbeaten run, we are destined for the playoffs, surely that worries you! ;)

I see what your saying. We could have blown it already Let's plan for next season :)

I don't think people are panicking yet raising valid points of concern. Granted it was the first game against a tough team away but the way we played was pretty poor and the shortcomings were pretty clear for all to see. Plenty of work to be done yet. Yesterday wasn't good.

I don't think people are panicking yet raising valid points of concern. Granted it was the first game against a tough team away but the way we played was pretty poor and the shortcomings were pretty clear for all to see. Plenty of work to be done yet. Yesterday wasn't good.

I'd say going from we've got the best squad and all that optimism to concerned in 90 min is panicking We've got to remember that was this teams first competitive game ever. Monk won't know his best team what tweaks he wants to make to the formation for a couple of games yet

I'm not panicking, just find it strange that Gary Gill and the scouts have had since January to find some creative players and still not delivered.

Unless we think this squad had enough flair in it (which I disagree with).

Rich, if two teams manage to go on a 45 match unbeaten run, we are destined for the playoffs, surely that worries you! ;)

Not if we go on a 44 game winning streak

A horrible afternoon. I could start all over the park but i'll start with the lack of cohesion. Understandable given the number of changes but compare that with Wolves who are in the exact same predicament as ourselves. They looked quicker, sharper, more hungry, better drilled and we didn't look like we knew how to play the system we were tasked with. They played us off the park first half.

Our midfield was the main culprit as it was just non-existent. De Roon was just not interested. Howson didn't play box to box; i had no idea what role he was playing. Clayton looked sloppy albeit he still battled well, but Wolves consistently passed the ball through us and around us whilst giving us no time or space on the ball when we won it back. Again the three midfielders seemed like they were sitting on top of each other and this stopped us from stretching the centre.

Wolves also concentrated on preventing Christie and Friend from receiving the ball. This stopped us from having an out ball wide and forced us through the compact midfield which more often than not was a fruitless exercise.

Set pieces were a complete waste of time. Clayton wasted, from what i can remember alone four set pieces. On three of those occasions we had four/five big lads in the box waiting for a good delivery. He either hit the first man or fluffed the execution of the move.

We had a decent spell 10-15 mins from the end when Assombalonga got in behind the Wolves defence twice. As a result Wolves stopped playing football and dropped 10 yards which narrowed the gap we had between midfield and attack and played into our hands.

Bamford's tidy footwork helped link up play when he came on. He helped Christie get forward and brought Braithwaite into the game more often. He has to start next week. Fletcher has a lot of work to do to justify his price tag. He looked really lost.

Also a quick note regarding Traore. I've not heard anything but i'm bamboozled why he wasn't in the squad. As i mentioned we came into the game when Wolves dropped deep because of the Assombalonga fear. Had Traore started or even came on, Wolves wouldn't have been anywhere near as comfortable as they were. I can't make any sense of that decision at all.

As poor as we were, we limited Wolves chances (bear in mind they no real striker and Costa missing) and we had the better chances in the game notwithstanding their goal. I'm expecting a serious improvement next week but it was really really disappointing to see a performance like that, on a number of levels. If i'm honest id say we needed another pre-season game before going in to yesterday to sharpen up and get accustomed to the formation. The only was has to be up from here.

Also had a nightmare with the OneBoro twitter takeover. I had to drive so i couldn't tweet on the way down or back and when i got in the stadium i had no signal whatsoever. The tweet deck thing is awful to use too. Maybe need to take a look at that next time?

Sorry to burst your bubble but these two teams have to play each other so can't pick up three points each time leaving the door wide open for us to pip them at the post...assuming we get draws against both of course.

Sorry to burst your bubble but these two teams have to play each other so can't pick up three points each time leaving the door wide open for us to pip them at the post...assuming we get draws against both of course.

Hence the smiley face ;)

i thought the game panned out exactly how i expected and said it would. they would press us and get in front and we'd come on strong later on. the bit i got wrong was i thought we'd nick a goal and finish 1-1.

the game itself panned out exactly as a few wolves fans said after watching the augsburg game. they said they would out number us in midfield and over load our wingbacks. basically our system v their system gave them a big advantage.

all that and they won 1-0 needing desperate defending and good luck at times late on. after we gifted them the goal.

the comments about ayala and lack of creativity are just bed wetting after that result. we'll mature like a fine wine. loads of positives, like the bench being used very well and the strikers/forwards who can move. we looked organised and committed again, unlike the pathetic performances under agnew. gibbo himself said 2-3 more signing to come in to.

Also had a nightmare with the OneBoro twitter takeover. I had to drive so i couldn't tweet on the way down or back and when i got in the stadium i had no signal whatsoever. The tweet deck thing is awful to use too. Maybe need to take a look at that next time?

Now you know how the gazette lads feel :)