Boro vs Sheffield United 1-0 (Gestede)

BeardySmog Matchday Solutions

Presents

Middlesbrough vs Sheffield United

Kick Off - 5:30pm (live on Sky)

The Riverside Stadium

12th August 2017

Intro

So the dust has settled after the game at Molineux, we have got our usual first game wobble out of the way and we can look forward to 'smashing' the championship... right?!..

Garry Monk will want to make the Riverside a fortress this season (and by that I don't think he means the barren, goalless wasteland of last season) and judging by his signings he intends to attack , attack, attack but he needs to find a solution to the old problem.. how to bridge the cavernous gap between the midfield and our bountiful forward players.

This weekend surely is a great opportunity to throw caution to the wind against a newly promoted side in the comfort of our own surroundings? This could be a dangerous mentality as the past weekend has shown, anyone can beat anyone in this division and I think we need to stop believing we have the divine right to win every match (which some fans do). With United playing midweek in the Carabao(?!?!?) cup we should be fresher and hopefully this will give us a slight advantage.

Last Game

Wolves 1 - 0 Boro

Well I'm sure you are all aware of how we fared last time out, a misplaced pass from Dani, Dani Ayala led to a Wolves goal which, thanks to a couple of spurned opportunities (Braithwaite I'm looking at you), proved the difference between two evenly matched sides. I, personally, am not too dismayed by this result as I think Wolves will be there or thereabouts this season the only thing that really concerns me is the lack of creativity in a side full of attacking intent (its like having the beauty of Jamie Redknapp's face but backed up with the personality of ... well.. Jamie Redknapp)

Sheff Utd 1-0 Jota FC

Despite fielding the best attacking midfielder in the championship world(as some would have you believe) Brentford couldn't spoil Sheff Utds big day back in the Champ. A goal from Billy Sharp was enough to take the three points for the Blades in a match which I have not seen so I am not going to comment on.

Oh.. He used to play for us...

Jamal Blackman.. remember him? Sure you do.. THAT Liverpool cup match.. he was in goal.. conceded 15 goals! (OK 14 of them were in a penalty shootout)  scored one too (better scoring record than Britt Assombalonga.. just saying). Never set the world alight here as that was his only appearance but has (apparently) started really well for the Blades so might be one to keep an eye on this season (probably not)

Beard Watch

Since Lord Clayton trimmed his magnificent beast of a beard and Dimi the Greek God conceded there has been very little to shout about in the Boro beard department which is disappointing for a Beardist such as myself, but hopefully this will change over the course of the season as I believe it may hold the key to promotion (no idea about the technicalities of it but Im going with it anyway)

A quick look at the Blades website in search of a bearded beauty has turned up trumps (discounting John Brayford on account of his silly hair) and I shall be presenting an award before the match to Kieron Freeman who has channelled Olivier Giroud with his perfectly coiffed facial hair.

The tip of the Beard

Middlesbrough 10/11

Draw 23/10

Sheff Utd 10/3

The bookies (SkyBet) have us tipped to break our duck this weekend but the bet I will be placing is for both Britt Assombalonga and Billy sharp to score this weekend which is 13/2 and coupled with a Bet on Boro to win should see you bring in a bit of extra money to spend on beard products (or whatever you crazy kids want to spend your money on)

Pre Match Questions

What do you think the score will be?

Formation?

Will we sign anyone before the kick off? if yes.. who?

What level of facial hair are you sporting?

Will I have to do another Matchday thread which will take up the time I should be working/parenting?

Are you scared of North Korea?

Prediction

I am going to predict 2-1, Billy Sharp to score early, after half time Britt will bag hist first goal and heading into the last 10 mins, with the fans baying for blood, Paddy Bamford will pop up and grab a winner sending everyone home happy.

(This is my first go of doing a matchday thread, so apologies if its a bit rubbish..)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

great work on the op, loads of info reading just how i like it.

my thoughts on the game. tricky one to call tbh. we thought we'd do bristol city when they come up. somehow we managed to lose 1-0. really not sure of the game. i've watched their 11min highlights with brentford several times but really cant see anything from the game.

they've won loads in a row and are full of beans, if i was a blade i'd be thinking, 'yes we gonna get smashed here'. we'll see soon. i think we will score this time and with our defense i think we will win because for them to get a couple of goals is unlikely imo. 2-0 boro is my prediction britt first scorer.

Good OP.

Looking forward to this, my first Boro game since ***nal at home way back in April! There's a strong chance that only 4 of the starters from that game will line up for this one.

I think we'll give the same formation another go, Braithwaite and Bamford behind Assombalonga, with Paddy coming in for Fletcher as the only change. Would like to think we'll have a new face in, but as whoever came in now couldn't train til Thursday at the earliest, they wouldn't be starting anyway.

Would like to think we wouldn't play with 3 holding players against a team we should be beating at home, but I just don't think we have the personnel to play anything else just at the moment.

I think we'll win. I don't know if it will click just yet, but I think we will just have enough to get past them. 2-0, Braithwaite and Howson.

Definitely need to trim my beard before kick off, it's a bit patchy and overgrown at the moment .

Good OP.

Looking forward to this, my first Boro game since ***nal at home way back in April! There's a strong chance that only 4 of the starters from that game will line up for this one.

I think we'll give the same formation another go, Braithwaite and Bamford behind Assombalonga, with Paddy coming in for Fletcher as the only change. Would like to think we'll have a new face in, but as whoever came in now couldn't train til Thursday at the earliest, they wouldn't be starting anyway.

Would like to think we wouldn't play with 3 holding players against a team we should be beating at home, but I just don't think we have the personnel to play anything else just at the moment.

I think we'll win. I don't know if it will click just yet, but I think we will just have enough to get past them. 2-0, Braithwaite and Howson.

Definitely need to trim my beard before kick off, it's a bit patchy and overgrown at the moment .

imo thats every team in the league. we should be looking to stuff anyone on our patch. no mercy.

After the wolves game I wouldn't be surprised to see Forshaw in for De Roon. We don't need both Clayton and De Roon.

Perhaps. Forshaw did his chances no harm against Wolves at all.

After the wolves game I wouldn't be surprised to see Forshaw in for De Roon. We don't need both Clayton and De Roon.

Perhaps. Forshaw did his chances no harm against Wolves at all.

yes he looked better than howson and deroon. was please with him.

start forshaw for sure. bamford must start to. fletcher looked lost, for me shown he's not ready to start yet. he needs more time.

friend looked a bit ropey at times, seems to be more common these days. hopefully hes just getting up to speed again and will get back to being mr reliable.

I'm hoping for some positive change from Monk for this one, as others have said we don't need Clayton and De Roon in the same team for this. Bamford has to start, while Fletcher could turn out to be a solid long term signing he isn't ready to be starting for a top 6 champo side yet, I'd see his role more as a fresh pair of legs later in games at the moment. Traore would be in for me.

------------Randalph------------

Christie---Ayala--Gibson---Friend

Forshaw/Howson---DR/Clayts

Traore------Bamford------Braithwaite

-------------Britt------------

Well done BS a terrific first attempt have to say.

Got to be a home win first time of asking to be honest I don't think anyone will really settle for anything less.

My only concern is just how long it has been since we last won therefore a score draw may well be the outcome, I say score draw because our forward line needs to find the back of the net sooner than later

great effort Beardy , one day i might be confident enough to  give it a go.

Anyway the match,  im not as sure of 3 points as a lot of others. Getting promoted isnt going to be easy with all the contenders that can beat any other team on thier day. so no game is a gimme.

We have been unfortunate in the way the fixture list has thrown up these first two games  in that Wolves were always going to be bouyant and well up for it with thier new big money signings and a home game to kick off the season , for me youd like to have gone there ideally mid winter. so last weeks result wasnt anywhere near unexpected.  Second game we have to face a newly promoted team ,again youd prefer to play them three or four months in. they will be full of confidence after thier win last week and for me are the best of the 3 teams that came up. thier top marksman is already off the mark and they will have a good away following im sure. Given al these points i still think that if we play close to our potential we should have too much for them and it is our opening home game too . but any below par performance will be punished.   

one player they have that has impressed me each time i saw them on tv last season was O,Connell

Defo a DS award in this game but not making it easy for you guys.

Correct final score (bare in mind 0-0 null and void) and fgs either side but also minute of scoring. (Will accept a 2 minute difference either side)

Yep ain't going to be easy