oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sheffield United 1-0 (Gestede)

Have to say I disagree with you all. I thought there were some real positives to take out of that game - the link up between the front 3 was great at times and for 25 minutes we looked like we could score every time we attacked. We also managed to contain a Sheff Utd side that was high on confidence for almost the entirety of the game.

Are there areas to improve? Of course. 25 minutes of good play per game won't be enough, it needs to be closer to 90 minutes, but that will come with time. Personally I'm very optimistic about the season, particularly with the 4-3-3.

Couldn't agree more, couple of players need to realize there's a team on the pitch and this isn't an individuals game, naming no one, but there's a lot of quality from back to front in this squad, it will come, roll on heading to the riverside on Tuesday... UTFB!!!....

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly can't see how anyone is complaining about the way we're currently playing. We are a breath of fresh air to watch compared to the last 3 seasons. We look so much better on the ball now and players are allowed to do what they're good at.

Surely it's a benefit for Christie and Friend to be high up the pitch to give us width as this means we have more players in the box?

The fact we make is a back 3 when they push forward is essentially our defensive 3. Again, nothing wrong with that either.

With the wingbacks high, we then have 5 people to pick from in midfield which will help is with possession. Then the 3 up top all in the right spaces.

Compare that to last season with just one up top and tell me you'd prefer us to go back to That?

Is it riskier? Perhaps. But wernt we calling for Karanka to be more daring? You can't have it both ways!

Other than the last 10 mins I thought we controlled the game. I am quite happy with how things have startd given the change of shape, personnel and manager. I think todays result is a real positive, as was the link up with the front three. I dont really get the no width thing. Christie in particular was often at their 18 yd box. Surely the full backs are giving us width? I'm trying to think of which teams play with genuine wide wingers now who are effective at our level but cant.

Midlandboro also makes a valid point about Sheff Utd, unbeaten in 18 in the league and buoyant from beating Brentford last week. We were playing a team full of confidence and well drilled. Glass half full from me.

There's a difference between not liking this current formation and demanding 4-4 effing 2.

I think 4-3-1-2 would suit us better but I'd want a Ramirez/jota type player in behind Bamford and Britt.

We played that today

No we didn't, we played with 3 out and out strikers with Bamford dropping into the hole at times. That isn't what I was suggesting, I said I would like to play with 2 strikers: PB and BA with a Ramirez type player in behind.

There is a difference.

There's a difference between not liking this current formation and demanding 4-4 effing 2.

I think 4-3-1-2 would suit us better but I'd want a Ramirez/jota type player in behind Bamford and Britt.

We played that today

No we didn't, we played with 3 out and out strikers with Bamford dropping into the hole at times. That isn't what I was suggesting, I said I would like to play with 2 strikers: PB and BA with a Ramirez type player in behind.

There is a difference.

Very little bamford was deep most the time and in the box infrequently

Honestly can't see how anyone is complaining about the way we're currently playing. We are a breath of fresh air to watch compared to the last 3 seasons. We look so much better on the ball now and players are allowed to do what they're good at.

Surely it's a benefit for Christie and Friend to be high up the pitch to give us width as this means we have more players in the box?

The fact we make is a back 3 when they push forward is essentially our defensive 3. Again, nothing wrong with that either.

With the wingbacks high, we then have 5 people to pick from in midfield which will help is with possession. Then the 3 up top all in the right spaces.

Compare that to last season with just one up top and tell me you'd prefer us to go back to That?

Is it riskier? Perhaps. But wernt we calling for Karanka to be more daring? You can't have it both ways!

Disagree, if we are comparing today to Karanka's tenure then we are nowhere near the level of his last two Championship seasons. We were a well drilled unit from front to back.

At the moment I think we look like a group of good players not a team.

We played that today

There is a difference.

I think that's what we tried to do when we bought Baker on but we ended up getting pushed back

We played that today

There is a difference.

That's my point! I want Bamford up front and in the box and a classy number 10 supplying the bullets.

Maybe Baker can do that but why can't we have him in a midfield 3 AND a Jota type player in behind?

We played that today

There is a difference.

That's my point! I want Bamford up front and in the box and a classy number 10 supplying the bullets.

Maybe Baker can do that but why can't we have him in a midfield 3 AND a Jota type player in behind?

Ok theres fine lines here. But I think what we saw from bamford for 20 mins was as good if not better than anything we saw from Ramirez

Theres no way Bamford played to the same level today as what we seen from Ramirez in the Championship Rich. He had a good spell and a decent game overall, but better than Ramirez is a massive stretch.

Good result today, not the best performance ever, but the 3 points is the main thing.

I thought we looked pretty good in the first half, some good passing (which should hopefully get better the more the players gel and know which runs each other will be making) and we looked to get it forward more than we did under AK, there wasn't quite as much passing between the defenders as we're used to.

Second half we kind of fell asleep, I know I nearly did!

Looking at their goal, it doesn't look offside to me, but it shouldn't have been a free kick in the first place. Not sure weather the refsrefs realised that and were trying to even things up, or weather it was just devine intervention, but justice was served.

Clayton was my motm, put in some great tackles and did his job well. Notable mentions for fry who I thought did well and christie who I really like down the right.

We played that today

There is a difference.

Ok theres fine lines here. But I think what we saw from bamford for 20 mins was as good if not better than anything we saw from Ramirez

I dont think he was even close to Ramirez's level, I wouldn't expect him to be either because its not his natural position.

Theres no way Bamford played to the same level today as what we seen from Ramirez in the Championship Rich. He had a good spell and a decent game overall, but better than Ramirez is a massive stretch.

For 20 min he fed the forwards controlled the attack set up the goal played one twos with gestede and Britt thought he was fantastic. Ok it was only 20 but what 20 min spell did Ramirez do better

Beat a team that could have made today their 9th win in a row, a team that achieved almost 4 times as many points as us last season and hadn't lost a game since January. A well oiled machine albeit a promoted one. They will comfortably survive this season.

Our team at the moment is just a collection of highly talented individuals until they start getting a few more games under their belt. But I saw enough neat play today to be confident for the future, I'm just happy we almost had 20 shots. People were bemoaning a few long balls but being able to mix it up is essential, and why not play to a strength if we have it!

Beat a team that could have made today their 9th win in a row, a team that achieved almost 4 times as many points as us last season and hadn't lost a game since January. A well oiled machine albeit a promoted one. They will comfortably survive this season.

Our team at the moment is just a collection of highly talented individuals until they start getting a few more games under their belt. But I saw enough neat play today to be confident for the future, I'm just happy we almost had 20 shots. People were bemoaning a few long balls but being able to mix it up is essential, and why not play to a strength if we have it!

This