oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sheffield United 1-0 (Gestede)

Hate saying this but I think we are beginning to see the end of GF being a vital part of the Boro moving ahead.

Certainly if we were to get promoted I do not see him being an integral part of a PL first team choice

trouble is DS a good left back is a pretty rare breed. not just on our shores. probably not many available. its pretty vital we keep him while looking for an upgrade. i think he'll still play for us next season even if we did get promoted.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to get into a Fabio vs GF debate but the qualities are quite similar. 110% in the tackle, both win headers, both have adequate pace, neither are the best defender in the world, Fabio can cross a ball and doesn't panic when near opposition box. I make that 4-3 Fabio :)

fabio comfortable in possession and not slow so that makes him good enough in some peoples eyes. they having nothing in common ability wise. fabio is weak as ***, george is a bull. i think that should tell anyone how different they are.

I do wonder how people assess "ability" sometimes. If we're talking technique and "football brain" Friend can't hold a candle to Fabio. Friend is stronger and more athletic, i'll give him that, but going forward you get more out of Fabio all round.

i think having fabio on the pitch would benefit the team in some games. like a wolves fan seemed to notice it that game, when they pressed us, george struggled and gave the ball back to gibson who was then forced to go long. fabio would be better in those tight positions in our half. 

notable that same wolves fan said christie wasnt affected and was just beating the man pressing all the time going down the line. christie is a fine athlete, and a very capable footballer. sort his indecision out in the advanced areas. when he seems to get stuck deciding how to beat the man in front of him (inside/outside) or cross(before beating him or after). then ends up running into them or tripping over the ball. he is actually hilarious, i can see he really annoying fans before to long. although that type of thing gets better with age and coaching.

Think Humpty summed it up well. Both defensively solid and win headers

Fabio. Better on the ball technically will shoot from distance

George. Better athlete will batter his way into the box

It just depends if you want to charge or finesse your way towards the goal

Not to get into a Fabio vs GF debate but the qualities are quite similar. 110% in the tackle, both win headers, both have adequate pace, neither are the best defender in the world, Fabio can cross a ball and doesn't panic when near opposition box. I make that 4-3 Fabio :)

fabio comfortable in possession and not slow so that makes him good enough in some peoples eyes. they having nothing in common ability wise. fabio is weak as ***, george is a bull. i think that should tell anyone how different they are.

I do wonder how people assess "ability" sometimes. If we're talking technique and "football brain" Friend can't hold a candle to Fabio. Friend is stronger and more athletic, i'll give him that, but going forward you get more out of Fabio all round.

i think having fabio on the pitch would benefit the team in some games. like a wolves fan seemed to notice it that game, when they pressed us, george struggled and gave the ball back to gibson who was then forced to go long. fabio would be better in those tight positions in our half. 

notable that same wolves fan said christie wasnt affected and was just beating the man pressing all the time going down the line. christie is a fine athlete, and a very capable footballer. sort his indecision out in the advanced areas. when he seems to get stuck deciding how to beat the man in front of him (inside/outside) or cross(before beating him or after). then ends up running into them or tripping over the ball. he is actually hilarious, i can see he really annoying fans before to long. although that type of thing gets better with age and coaching.

My dad said the same thing to me about Christie.

"I can see you hating him half way through the season as he somehow gets the ball stuck between his feet for the 1,000,000th time."

Other interesting games of note tonight:

Cardiff v Sheffield United

Hull v Wolves

Barnsley v Forest

Millwall v Ipswich

1 home, 3 away for the top 4 with the 100% records. Hull v Wolves is an interesting one. Hernandez looks like he's ready to kick on already and score the goals to help Hull challenge again but Wolves are probably the biggest prospects currently in that top 4.