oneBoro Forum

Carabao Cup 4th round - Bournemouth away

I might just make the journey from Brighton to Bournemouth for this one (despite the endless roundabouts of Chichester) I'm hoping that Monk will field a competitive team and that we'll give AFC Bournemouth a good game.

UTB I remember every one of those games, they all made me so proud of my team.

Braving the roundabouts of Chichester? Jesus... that is the biggest commitment to Boro I ever did see!

By the time you get to the third one your life's not worth living ....and the fourth .....no.not sure there is a fourth

If billy loses the will to live half way through I'll try and rescue him

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Oh and in 1997 we were underdogs against Liverpool in the quarter finals and beat them. In 1998 we were even bigger underdogs against Liverpool in the semi finals and beat them. And in 2004 we were the underdog against Everton in the 4th round.. a big underdog away at Tottenham in the quarters and huge underdogs against ***nal in the semis and beat them all so it can be done.

In 1997 we had the likes of Juninho and Ravanelli we could beat anyone on our day.

The year we won it we were on a similar level to Everton and Spurs we were not far behind them anyway. Yes we did great to beat ***nal but Wenger rested players in both legs and again we had great players like Juninho, Mendieta, Boateng, Zenden etc.

You simply can't compare our squad to then, the most comparable would be 1998 with Merson but even then we had a team of Premier league players and we beat one big team to get to Wembley.

Keep dreaming it's brilliant to dream but it's not going to happen. The top 6 in the Premier league are so far ahead now its untrue. In the Robson era we could spend as big as teams like Liverpool and ***nal, not anymore.

Okay well then how do you account for us beating Man City and Man U in recent years? Bradford beating Chelsea and ***nal? MK dons beating Man U too. Yeah you can cite teams playing weakened 11s and other circumstances but these teams can be beaten and surely these are the games you remember not milling around between divisions for years on end?

The latter rounds is also played when the Champions League and Europa League are played, making the bigger teams rest even more first team players. If the confidence is high within the team, teamspirit is great and they all play 100% for Monk and each other there is no reason why we can't beat a big team. I'd argue that a game against Muff is even tougher because they don't have european games and this is likely there only chance of winning something.

Okay well then how do you account for us beating Man City and Man U in recent years? Bradford beating Chelsea and ***nal? MK dons beating Man U too. Yeah you can cite teams playing weakened 11s and other circumstances but these teams can be beaten and surely these are the games you remember not milling around between divisions for years on end?

plus 1 Hoytey

I might just make the journey from Brighton to Bournemouth for this one (despite the endless roundabouts of Chichester) I'm hoping that Monk will field a competitive team and that we'll give AFC Bournemouth a good game.

UTB  I remember every one of those games, they all made me so proud of my team.

Braving the roundabouts of Chichester? Jesus... that is the biggest commitment to Boro I ever did see!

By the time you get to the third one your life's not worth living ....and the fourth .....no.not sure there is a fourth

I'm going to leave a day early and take a tent with me, I'll probably pitch it on the 4th or 5th roundabout. :D

the cups are great. i'm sure steve gibson has always taken them seriously, you just have to look at our cup record since he's been chairman. 4 finals, 3 semi finals and 8 quarter finals since 1990. not including the zenith cup final.

i think we'll be trying to win a cup again, well i think we always try and win but now we have a decent team again i think we have a better chance. hope we get a favorable fa cup draw because that would be amazing to win that.

Yeah it's doable in a one off game, is it doable 3 times? I don't think it is.

We'll have to just agree to disagree!

yes it would be tough to beat full strength elite clubs like chelsea, man u, man city, ***nal, spurs etc but until its the semi final i would be half strength and maybe not even full strength in the semi final. with a nice home draw to say spurs at home in the quarters. they play a weakened team, we go full strength. gives us a good chance to win. semi final we get ***nal, wenget as always says he'll stick with the reserves who got them there. another good chance. the final we play man utd. a one off game where they are clear favorites. i wouldnt write us off completely.

I'm going to leave a day early and take a tent with me, I'll probably pitch it on the 4th or 5th roundabout. :D

I've done the Chichester roundabouts in the back of a Mercedes Sprinter... Not sure I've ever felt so close to death...

What about three one off games

I've done the Chichester roundabouts in the back of a Mercedes Sprinter... Not sure I've ever felt so close to death...

Were you researching for the role of kidnapped man?

UTB I remember every one of those games, they all made me so proud of my team.

....so many roundabouts !

I went to University in Chichester. Every day was an experience...