oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Burton Albion 2-0 (Assombalonga 2)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Every win is a good win. Just wish we'd really gone for a few more goals. I suppose we'll hear from the guys and gals at the stadium tonight how frustrating that really was towards the end but when you send on quick players like Traore and Fletcher and it leads to only one decent chance when you're 2-0 up against 10 men... I dunno, as someone not at the game, made me feel like we should have got a few more.

3 games, 3 goals for, 1 conceded, 2 clean sheets... 6 points and up to 4th after 3 games. Going in the right direction.

We did create some more chances though Wilson. Britt should have had a hattrick, Bamford had a goal ruled out when he should have left the ball roll to the onside Baker and Fletcher should have done better too by the sounds. I agree that I thought we would have created more when Traore and last Fletcher came in but there wasn't much time left and by that time I guess Burton had given up and simply just wanted to keep it at 2-0 and not risk too many men forward.

Indeed, I might be being a bit harsh on the team with that but we're not going to get many easier games than Burton Albion at home to give us a better goal difference. We know all too well how big a difference that can make.

Every game this season we've created 2-3 clear chances and looked solid defensively the only goal we conceded Ayala gave them I think if this is what we look like mid August with a new team I'm excited what's to come. Fry again comes away with a solid performance and a clean sheet he's clearly ready to do the job when required for us and is looking composed on the ball he seems to be shaping into a talented CB.

Indeed, I might be being a bit harsh on the team with that but we're not going to get many easier games than Burton Albion at home to give us a better goal difference. We know all too well how big a difference that can make.

Yeah not disagreeing on that. Would like a few more wins by at least a two goal margin.

Great game today. Really exciting play, lots of lovely through balls with players running onto them.

We could and should have scored a few more.

Bamford and Clayton did really well. George had a bit of a shocker at times, he nearly did an Ayala with his poor back pass. He was lucky randy made the save.

Assombalonga took his goals really well, it's been a long time since we've had a clinical striker. Happy days :)

Forest will be trickier, but surely britt will score there?!

Nice finishes from Britt tonight, also thought his hold up play was exceptional. Bamford also very impressive..

First half the game was completely flat, boring and predictable. Keeping saying it but no width whatsoever and teams are finding us out.

Don't see what Howson and Forshaw are offering at the moment and looked a lot better when Baker came on.

2nd half was an improvement but against better opposition we will struggle playing like that.

You can have all the possession in the world, but if you don't create enough chances then you will struggle to win games in this league especially away from home.

3pts in the bag none the less.

Clips of the goals anywhere

It's all on the sky sports football app. Don't know how link it tho

If football was about passing backwards and sideways we'd be a bloody good side. Unfortunately it isn't and right now we aren't. Thankfully it is about defensive mistakes and we were able to capitalise on another one tonight that helped us on our way.

The first half was as bad as the Sheff Utd game. The goal came from some sloppy play by them and some sharp opportunism from us. Bamford also should have scored before half time but I'm not sure that our play up until that point would have merited a two goal lead at half time. There were periods where they looked the better side if anything and it's still unclear to me what we're trying to do. Burton are a poor side for this level and it wouldn't surprise me if they're relegated come the end of the season.

The second half was better in my opinion. Assombalonga got a bit excited with the chance he missed after a nice through ball from Bamford but he made up for it by reacting quickest to Gestede's parried shot. Fletcher should have done better when put through after some good play from Traore but he hesitated and gave the defender the chance to get a challenge in. I don't know how bad the tackle was for the sending off, it didn't look great but without seeing a replay I couldn't say for certain.

Overall there was an obvious gulf in class between the individuals in both sides but not as big a gulf as there should have been between the two teams. We still lack creativity in the middle and out wide and the performance was less than convincing for a decent chunk of the game. Forshaw seemed unhappy when he was subbed, he kind of trudged slowly off, but I thought he was poor both today and on Saturday and hadn't done anything to justify staying on. I'd go as far as to say that I think last season has really affected him. It feels like he has the footballing equivalent of the yips or something. I hope he sorts it out because there's a fair amount of frustration with him in the stands.

I think we're crying out for a different approach but maybe it will be one of those things that looks better against better sides and feels like it's not quite clicking when we're playing against lesser sides. We also have this alarming tendency to under hit square passes in front of our area, we nearly did it again in the first half (Fry I think) and then we under hit a back pass in the second half. It's nice that we're trying to play out from the back but we're making some basic errors in areas that often lead to goals.

Chuffed for Britt getting off the mark, shame Bamford couldn't do the same (pass the ball a bit more you greedy sod!). Ultimately a deserved three points and some improvement after half time. Still some way off where we need to be though.