oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Burton Albion 2-0 (Assombalonga 2)

If football was about passing backwards and sideways we'd be a bloody good side. Unfortunately it isn't and right now we aren't. Thankfully it is about defensive mistakes and we were able to capitalise on another one tonight that helped us on our way.

The first half was as bad as the Sheff Utd game. The goal came from some sloppy play by them and some sharp opportunism from us. Bamford also should have scored before half time but I'm not sure that our play up until that point would have merited a two goal lead at half time. There were periods where they looked the better side if anything and it's still unclear to me what we're trying to do. Burton are a poor side for this level and it wouldn't surprise me if they're relegated come the end of the season.

The second half was better in my opinion. Assombalonga got a bit excited with the chance he missed after a nice through ball from Bamford but he made up for it by reacting quickest to Gestede's parried shot. Fletcher should have done better when put through after some good play from Traore but he hesitated and gave the defender the chance to get a challenge in. I don't know how bad the tackle was for the sending off, it didn't look great but without seeing a replay I couldn't say for certain.

Overall there was an obvious gulf in class between the individuals in both sides but not as big a gulf as there should have been between the two teams. We still lack creativity in the middle and out wide and the performance was less than convincing for a decent chunk of the game. Forshaw seemed unhappy when he was subbed, he kind of trudged slowly off, but I thought he was poor both today and on Saturday and hadn't done anything to justify staying on. I'd go as far as to say that I think last season has really affected him. It feels like he has the footballing equivalent of the yips or something. I hope he sorts it out because there's a fair amount of frustration with him in the stands.

I think we're crying out for a different approach but maybe it will be one of those things that looks better against better sides and feels like it's not quite clicking when we're playing against lesser sides. We also have this alarming tendency to under hit square passes in front of our area, we nearly did it again in the first half (Fry I think) and then we under hit a back pass in the second half. It's nice that we're trying to play out from the back but we're making some basic errors in areas that often lead to goals.

Chuffed for Britt getting off the mark, shame Bamford couldn't do the same (pass the ball a bit more you greedy sod!). Ultimately a deserved three points and some improvement after half time. Still some way off where we need to be though.

We're still a work in progress. The signs are there that we're gelling as a team and people are working together. Gestede has a goal and assist in his last 2 games. Assombalonga is off the mark and as a team we should have scored more.

If Fletcher, Britt and Bamford score their chances it's 5-0. Baker has only been introduced as sub appearances and that's where the creativity will come from. In flashes we're looking good.

Burton will 100% be relegated but before with Karanka we would labour to a win, whereas tonight as well as Saturday I think we won without firing on all cylinders.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I think Monk summed it up pretty well tonight, we haven't had a 90 minute performance yet, or even a 45 minute one. We're playing some very good football in fits and starts, GM seems confident it'll come with time so I'm happy to be patient whilst we're picking up points.

We have got a tough game on Saturday. I mean they're all tough but I think our defence is going to be put to the test again by Daryl Murphy and Barrie McKay, the latter of whom seems to be involved in every good thing they do. They've started well regardless of tonight's result.

There's a script written for that game, Britt wants to play and score in the game. Let's hope we stick to the script and come away with a hard fought 3 points as we did the last time we went to the City Ground when Nuge and Ayala got the goals.

When people mention lack of width I agree but at the same time we have to remember we aren't yet playing the planned system.

Everyone seems to forget braithwaite exists and there is also baker to eventually take a starting spot.

At the minute because they aren't in the team we are playing 4312 which is always going to be a narrow formation.

Once the other 2 come into the team braithwaite will play the left, bamford will go back to the right and baker will take the central spot. Braithwaite and bamford will naturally drift further wide to find more space and stretch teams a bit more than we are now.

Chuffed for Britt getting off the mark, shame Bamford couldn't do the same (pass the ball a bit more you greedy sod!).  Ultimately a deserved three points and some improvement after half time.  Still some way off where we need to be though.

I'm not looking at the same Bamford as you.  Set the winner up on Saturday, and played Britt through for a golden opportunity last night.  He's currently the best option we have in the #10 role.  

Greedy, far from it.

What's is easy to forget....playing two games in 4 days, scoring 3 goals and conceding none, and picking up 3 points....under AK everyone would have said that's a success even watching us play defensive football. We have just done that trying to play some attacking football. I get that people want to watch us play like Brazil but we are in the championship....a league that ***nal would struggle to play beautiful football all of the time. We are trying to be more exciting, attacking and good to watch. It is going to take a while to get it spot on but if we are collecting points and staying defensively strong while learning then I'd say we are on the right path

I was defending George Friend on here yesterday afternoon but I have to admit he was garbage last night, he looked well off the pace.

I'm very impressed with Assombalonga, if we get him the service he'll score 20 goals easily this season (providing he stays fit). His all round game looks really good as well, he's a better player than I expected.

I was defending George Friend on here yesterday afternoon but I have to admit he was garbage last night, he looked well off the pace.

I'm very impressed with Assombalonga, if we get him the service he'll score 20 goals easily this season (providing he stays fit). His all round game looks really good as well, he's a better player than I expected.

CT mentioned earlier about Forshaw and I think George is falling into that category to a degree, a better team would have punished us after the mistake. George is not the player he was from our promotion season and it is a concern.

CT mentioned earlier about Forshaw and I think George is falling into that category to a degree, a better team would have punished us after the mistake. George is not the player he was from our promotion season and it is a concern.

As a left footer I wouldn't be averse to him moving to CB if Gibson leaves.

wanted to be really confident and have us netting 4 or 5 but with things as they are new players and all ill be conservative and 2-0. 

first goal  14 mins .... assombalonga.

We have a winner though to be fair Boroie had the same score line and fgs but gave the 8th minute as time of goal.

So will award a point to both :)

When people mention lack of width I agree but at the same time we have to remember we aren't yet playing the planned system.

Everyone seems to forget braithwaite exists and there is also baker to eventually take a starting spot.

At the minute because they aren't in the team we are playing 4312 which is always going to be a narrow formation.

Once the other 2 come into the team braithwaite will play the left, bamford will go back to the right and baker will take the central spot. Braithwaite and bamford will naturally drift further wide to find more space and stretch teams a bit more than we are now.

That's precisely how we played against Augsburg. Braithwaite played in that team. He did not play left-wing. We supposedly switched last night to having Bamford right and Gestede left when we needed to change something so it is an option... but I'm not for one second convinced it's the end game.