oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Burton Albion 2-0 (Assombalonga 2)

I can't imagine that's happening without Villa's approval. Bet they and Brum knew that's what he would be doing before he signed and they thought it was worth it to keep him out of retirement.

His ability on the pitch is not worth it alone if his head is still at Chelsea. What kind of moron decided giving him the captaincy was a good idea knowing all that?

We did it with. Merson so it can work.  It just gets highlighted when your loseing.  If they were winning no one would mention it

But Merson wasn't the captain, was he? Wasn't it Pearson? Sure there will have been big expectancy on Merson but he wasn't supposed to be leading the team on and off the field, was he?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I can't imagine that's happening without Villa's approval. Bet they and Brum knew that's what he would be doing before he signed and they thought it was worth it to keep him out of retirement.

His ability on the pitch is not worth it alone if his head is still at Chelsea. What kind of moron decided giving him the captaincy was a good idea knowing all that?

We did it with. Merson so it can work.  It just gets highlighted when your loseing.  If they were winning no one would mention it

But Merson wasn't the captain, was he? Wasn't it Pearson? Sure there will have been big expectancy on Merson but he wasn't supposed to be leading the team on and off the field, was he?

He wasn't the captain but he was the marque signing and the one to lead us out of the championship

Just think there's a bit of a difference between a marquee signing and a marquee signing who you immediately give the captaincy to, somebody who is supposed to set an example to the other players, especially the younger lads. And he disappears for half the week. That's not a leader and wrongfully appointing a captain, especially when you remove it from somebody who probably earned it more than anyone at Villa last year, is an extremely counter-productive move.

It's still early days, of course. But if that's contributing to the fact they've not started the season well then it is worth mentioning.

Chuffed for Britt getting off the mark, shame Bamford couldn't do the same (pass the ball a bit more you greedy sod!).  Ultimately a deserved three points and some improvement after half time.  Still some way off where we need to be though.

I'm not looking at the same Bamford as you.  Set the winner up on Saturday, and played Britt through for a golden opportunity last night.  He's currently the best option we have in the #10 role.  

Greedy, far from it.

I can't speak to what you are looking at bud.  What I have seen in the two home games so far is a guy trying a bit too hard to make an impact.  Understandable perhaps given the fact that he found himself out of the starting XI for the first game at Wolves but I'm not sure it's allowing him to get the most out of himself.

He has on a number of occasions tried to beat players when he had easier options on or tried to work himself into a shooting position when he had easier options.  Usually this has resulted in the loss of possession.

The pass he played last night was lovely and I mentioned it in my match review but that's one example and there have been more examples of him trying to do things by himself when he doesn't need to.  

I'd say he is the most intelligent attacking player we have the club, maybe the most intelligent player full stop but at the moment I think he's trying to do too much at times and it's not helping him or us.  I think he just needs to settle down a bit.

Bamford has been influential in the two wins he's started. To say he isn't helpful is a bit silly really.

He's finding the space between the midfield and attack that's opening up due to our movement and Assombalonga's pace/playing off the defenders shoulder. He made a difference when he came on against Wolves although i think that was more to do with wolves taking their foot off the gas. There's no doubt he's going to be a pivotal player for us this season and he's only going to get better as the understanding with the other forwards develops.

'he's trying to do too much at times and it's not helping him or us.'

That isn't the same as saying he isn't helpful.

Surely saying someone isn't helping himself or us is the exact same as saying he isn't helpful ??

Isn't that all about gelling with those around him though? 

Not sure I understand this "trying too much" quote - Isn't that what we want all our players to do at this point in the season? Also iisn't that better than last seasons ultra safety first approach?

I haven't been to the games so can't comment on what you have seen but we are only a few games in to what will be a long season. The signs so far are that as the season goes on the sharp end of the team will all get on the same page and what at the moment is understandably a bit forced will become more instinctive as we get to 10+ games

Surely saying someone isn't helping himself or us is the exact same as saying he isn't helpful ??

No, it's saying that when he's trying to do things by himself then he's not helping us or him.  Us because we lose possession in promising situations and him because ultimately it will backfire on him if he continues to do it.

Isn't that all about gelling with those around him though? 

Not sure I understand this "trying too much" quote - Isn't that what we want all our players to do at this point in the season? Also iisn't that better than last seasons ultra safety first approach?

I haven't been to the games so can't comment on what you have seen but we are only a few games in to what will be a long season. The signs so far are that as the season goes on the sharp end of the team will all get on the same page and what at the moment is understandably a bit forced will become more instinctive as we get to 10+ games

I don't think him trying to beat defenders instead of playing a simple ball is about gelling albeit in the wider context of the whole team they are all still getting used to playing alongside each other of course.

Trying too much is like last night where he chases a ball down our right hand side, gets there first, has Christie open to lay it off to but tries to beat a couple of defenders and ends up losing it.  He doesn't need to do it, for one thing that's not one of his strong points and for another if you've got support then use it.  

As I said, I just think after being dropped for the first game of the season and not playing much last season and the season before, that he's trying a bit too hard to make an impact.  If he just relaxes and settles down his ability will do the rest and he'll be fine.  The benefit will be felt by us as we'll look like a better attacking unit and by him because he's a good player and he'll naturally do good things.

No, it's saying that when he's trying to do things by himself then he's not helping us or him.  Us because we lose possession in promising situations and him because ultimately it will backfire on him if he continues to do it.

So what you're saying is that when someone tries something and it doesn't come off then it doesn't help us or the player?

I mean.. that's a given surely?

Creative players are always going to be hit or miss especially at this level, bamford has looked very sharp and early signs are promising in that role for him

So what you're saying is that when someone tries something and it doesn't come off then it doesn't help us or the player?

I mean.. that's a given surely?

Creative players are always going to be hit or miss especially at this level, bamford has looked very sharp and early signs are promising in that role for him

No, what I'm saying is, if there's a better option on and you go yourself instead and lose it then it's not good play, whether you're trying something or not.  If you're doing it because you're trying too hard to impress, which is what I think might be going on with Bamford, then you'll be better off relaxing a bit. In both home games that's what I've seen from him.  As I said, if he settles down he'll be fine because he's a good player.

Everybody has liked bamford so far, which means by the rules of the forum CT has to find his faults.

Forum rules.

Everybody has liked everybody so far, with the exception of some people not liking Friend for some reason. I'm not sure how my comments are disliking someone, it was a one line comment in my match review of last night where I also mentioned him setting up Assombalonga and the chance he could have scored from himself.