oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Nottingham Forest (A) 1-2 (Gibson)

Ayala is so unreliable due to his injuries and Fry has been playing really well. I'd like to see Fry develop his partnership with Gibson, give him a chance to grow. Stick Ayala back in and he'll probably be injured again in a few weeks and Fry will be needed again. Might as well stick with Fry and give him the chance to grow in confidence and improve.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Ayala is so unreliable due to his injuries and Fry has been playing really well. I'd like to see Fry develop his partnership with Gibson, give him a chance to grow. Stick Ayala back in and he'll probably be injured again in a few weeks and Fry will be needed again. Might as well stick with Fry and give him the chance to grow in confidence and improve.

My only worry is that Fry has played well as he hasn't been tested in the last 2 games. Forest will be a tougher challenge and if he makes mistakes that could knock his confidence, we really need at least one more option at CB

Can't say i agree with the assessment of Ayala however Fry has earned his spot in the team. We'd be sending out the wrong signals if Ayala walked straight back in the team.

What was Ayala like at Wolves, barring the horrendous mistake I mean?  Did he look better than he did last season for example?

He was just kind of average. Like..he didn't really make any other mistakes but I don't remember him being particularly good either.

I did feel he was playing a bit scared, he seemed to ditch the ball off to Gibson at every opportunity.

Ayala at his best is better than Fry at his best but I think it's difficult to say whether you'll ever see Ayala at his best again. We certainly didn't see it last season and whilst you'd hope that dropping a level and maybe a change of manager might see him recapture his best form, I'm just not sure it's there any more unfortunately. I hope it is.

Can't say i agree with the assessment of Ayala however Fry has earned his spot in the team. We'd be sending out the wrong signals if Ayala walked straight back in the team.

What was Ayala like at Wolves, barring the horrendous mistake I mean?  Did he look better than he did last season for example?

He was part of a solid defense that hardly gave wolves a sniff. A single mistake gave them the goal. We could still be playing and wolves wouldn't have scored another. I don't think there was anything else you can point your finger at. Him giving the ball to Gibson all the time was probably tactically.

The problem at Wolves wasn't the centre halves (mistake apart) it was the lack of understanding of the system and a dysfunctional midfield. Wolves got a fair bit of joy down the flanks but not a whole lot through the middle. The mistake obviously (and rightly) tainted most people's opinion of his performance.

Barring the mistake Ayala was fine, he also played well against Augsberg in the friendly, where he was very much involved in us scoring the equaliser.

As for Ayala walking back into the team, if it was Gibson injured and Fry played and we got back to back clean sheets, he would walk back into the team, and rightly so, because he's a better player than Fry. Just like Ayala is a better player and should play if he's fully fit. Fry has done well, but like others have said, we haven't been tested really, Ayala offers so much more from set pieces than Fry does also.

Regarding the post about 2 footed tackles and horrible passing, I don't think thats fair tbh, he did play a horrible pass, but in general his passing and ability on the ball is pretty good, arguably better than Gibson is. I don't recall Ayala putting any 2 footed tackles in, ever.

A fully fit Ayala is better than Fry, but id love to see how Fry would handle it against Murphy. I think we'd be able to rely on Fry more games this season than Ayala.

As much as I love Ayala, there's just something not quite the same as when we got promoted.. I thought it might changed when Karanka left but I have my doubts about his commitment.

Do we know if Nottingham will be streaming the match on their website like Wolves did? Had a quick look at their website, but could´nt see any purchase option.

They will. They have 5 pounds a match option. Go to their fixture list and then chose match center for our game. You can then select purchase match pass. If you are domestic you might need to turn on a vpn before going to their site.

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/matches/fixtures/first-team/201718/august/nottingham-forest-vs-middlesbrough-on-19-aug-17/