oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Nottingham Forest (A) 1-2 (Gibson)

We have one more point than the season we were promoted and equal on points for the season we reached the play offs....

The season we were promoted didn't we set a league record for consecutive clean sheets at one point?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

We have one more point than the season we were promoted and equal on points for the season we reached the play offs....

Don't let this distract you from the impending Armageddon, all is lost... Well there's always next season I suppose.

Personally I think an extra body in midfield will help with us being disjointed. I'm struggling to fit Bamford, Gestede, and Britt into a balanced line up... feel one needs to come out for Baker or Braithwaite and revert to a 4-2-3-1 especially against better sides. The 3 up front may continue to be a good tactic in games like Burton at home.

Could be right mate.  I'm sort of assuming that at some point we'll have a midfield three of Clayton, Howson and Baker and a front three of Braithwaite, Assombalonga and ??? Bamford seems the obvious choice but we started the season with Fletcher and Gestede has probably been our most effective attacking player so far in many respects.  So I suppose it'll come down to how Monk sees it.

The season we were promoted didn't we set a league record for consecutive clean sheets at one point?

Yeah and didn't people also say we lost the title because of the amount of draws. I'm not saying I'm delighted with how we've done so far I'm saying people get too upset too easily.

don't like this,... after the two away games we seem to be getting a reputation as an unlucky team .I'd much rather we were poor, 'cos we can improve on that. Unlucky teams are unlucky for all time.

Yeah and didn't people also say we lost the title because of the amount of draws. I'm not saying I'm delighted with how we've done so far I'm saying people get too upset too easily.

I agree but unless we intend to set another league record at some point then we'll need to make sure we have more points than at the early stages of those seasons.  I know and you know that 6 points from 12 over the course of a season isn't going to cut it so we need to improve.  I don't think we've been especially convincing in any game so far this season, with the possible exception of Burton and even then I think that's just a function of the difference in ability between both sets of players.

don't like this,... after the two away games we seem to be getting a reputation as an unlucky team .I'd much rather we were poor, 'cos we can improve on that. Unlucky teams are unlucky for all time.

Luck/bad luck evens itself out over a season. We got lucky with the ref decision vs Sheffield.

Luck/bad luck evens itself out over a season. We got lucky with the ref decision vs Sheffield.

No we didn't, it was offside.

Whichever way it was, it was a tight call v Shef. Utd and I wouldn't be that annoyed at no offside call. I personally don't think anybody would have questioned it had the linesman not given it. But the free-kick was never a free-kick and the justice was served through the offside call.

No we didn't, it was offside.

We got lucky he called it because we might as well have gotten unlucky with the decision. It was that close and regardless of the fact that it was the right call we could just as easy have seen it go the other way.

I agree but unless we intend to set another league record at some point then we'll need to make sure we have more points than at the early stages of those seasons.  I know and you know that 6 points from 12 over the course of a season isn't going to cut it so we need to improve.  I don't think we've been especially convincing in any game so far this season, with the possible exception of Burton and even then I think that's just a function of the difference in ability between both sets of players.

A clean sheet doesn't always mean a win but I do see your point and we absolutely need to start picking up more points. I disagree with some folks on here that this game was like Wolves though. At Wolves we were poor all over the park, could barely string passes together and looked like we'd never met. I felt the Forest game was lost due to the first half and a tactical mistake on Monk's part, the lack of width and the fact Forshaw and Howson are so similar had us punished on the flanks. The moment Adams came on, the game changed and given how poor his final ball is that's a pretty big indicator. I think we need a lot more from midfield and that system is no good away from home, I'm still hoping for some new faces but we shall see. Tuesday is a cup game but it is an excellent opportunity to start winning again.

A clean sheet doesn't always mean a win but I do see your point and we absolutely need to start picking up more points. I disagree with some folks on here that this game was like Wolves though. At Wolves we were poor all over the park, could barely string passes together and looked like we'd never met. I felt the Forest game was lost due to the first half and a tactical mistake on Monk's part, the lack of width and the fact Forshaw and Howson are so similar had us punished on the flanks. The moment Adams came on, the game changed and given how poor his final ball is that's a pretty big indicator. I think we need a lot more from midfield and that system is no good away from home, I'm still hoping for some new faces but we shall see. Tuesday is a cup game but it is an excellent opportunity to start winning again.

Nail on head Jen