oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston North End 0-0

Before the season started, i posted on the summer transfer thread that i was confused as to what system Monk would use given the signings we had made. Now i'm just flabbergasted. What a mess! Today we got very lucky and given our performance we deserved to get stuffed. Whatever system that was didn't work and hopefully Monk won't go down that road again. Trouble is from what i have seen so far, i fear we may struggle to even make the play offs unless he starts to put the players in positions where they are most effective.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SD, another single match down, regardless of how God awful it was, doesn't equate to you being correct about prophecising the entire season. If you want to gloat, I suggest that you actually wait until what you suggested takes place. Right now we have 41 games and 123 points up for grabs. Improvements must be made, for sure. Play like this for another 41 games and we'd more likely be looking at the relegation zone than automatic promotion. But it's not happened yet.

From what I've seen so far from Garry Monk it doesn't look good, I don't know what's going on with our transfer strategy (signing loads of CM's and cf's) and his tactics are baffling.

He's playing players out of position every week and is getting outdone by the opposition manager week by week. I know it's only early days but this feels a lot like Strachan 2009 to me.

From what I've seen so far from Garry Monk it doesn't look good, I don't know what's going on with our transfer strategy (signing loads of CM's and cf's) and his tactics are baffling.

He's playing players out of position every week and is getting outdone by the opposition manager week by week. I know it's only early days but this feels a lot like Strachan 2009 to me.

Feels nothing like Strachan, signed proven players and until yesterday we're looking a threat going forwards.

We've signed 2 cms, 1 striker and 2 forwards hardly 'loads'.

Who exactly is out of position every week?

We've had a slow start and are struggling in certain areas but let's not go over the top.

Feels nothing like Strachan, signed proven players and until yesterday we're looking a threat going forwards.

We've signed 2 cms, 1 striker and 2 forwards hardly 'loads'.

Who exactly is out of position every week?

We've had a slow start and are struggling in certain areas but let's not go over the top.

At the start of the season we needed creativity and pace in the team, we all knew it even Steve Gibson could see it. It's now a few days from the end of the window and we're still lacking in those areas.

Did we need Braithwaite, Fletcher, Howson or Baker? I'm not sure we did. For the money spent on them we could have brought in some width and creativity (we're crying out for it).

We can argue all day about what type of players we've got but we have 5 strikers which is too many and 5 central midfielders which is too many.

I know Monk has balanced the books but he's also spent 40m which should be enough to build a balanced team. I've said it every week on here post match that we don't look balanced, and we don't.

This feels like Strachan in the fact that we give a manager a lot of money to waste and it was a manager that took us backwards.

*oh and out of position were Fabio and Baker.

I refuse to start panicking just yet. It's still early, we're still in contention - we're just leaving August. Yes, there's been several disjointed elements, some discouraging performances, but it takes 66 hours for the human brain to form new habits. We're a side in development, we've made masses of changes. We all know what a beast the Championship is... I don't think any of us were naive enough to believe that we would truly "smash the league."

Britt doesn't look fully match fit. Howson hasn't adapted as yet. Friend has looked barely even a shadow of his former self, though that started last season too.

Today was a dark day performance wise - that's certain. We should be thankful given that display that we managed a point... but I refuse to believe that "that's it" for the rest of the season. In the same way I refuse to believe that Ipswich will be challenging for the top 2 come next summer. There's a lot of football still to be played, we can still bring in the likes of Jota and Flint to strengthen in weakened areas.

It's a bad way to go into the International Break, but hopefully the time together on the training pitch could prove fruitful for us.

^^^^ Absolutely spot on.

We tried something different today. It bombed. I'm sure we won't do it again!

i will only start to worry when it gets to feel like Murdoch 1981/2

Randolph - 7 - Made some good saves when needed, distribution improving.

Christie - 5 - struggled to get forward much, first half we we let them in time and time again down our right side.

Fry - 7 - made some strong and well-timed tackles. Won his hair share of headers against a busy Hugill.

Gibson - 6 - similar to Fry but gave away a few fouls.

Friend - 3 - couldn't pick out a red shirt all afternoon, passing was beyond poor and didn't seem to know his role.

Fabio - 5 - didn't do a lot wrong, but was played in a position begging for creativity and forward runs, don't think Friend helped him much.

Clayton - 8 - a battling and assures display, probably the only player who looked like he knew what his role was, and he played it perfectly.

Howson - 4 - still struggling to settle in to the side, quite a few stray passes. Leadbitter and Forshaw have both looked superior in their displays.

Baker - 5 - another who didn't seem to know his role, you can see he's got great technical ability. Needs to be behind the strikers to see the best of him.

Assombalonga - 5 - one great drive at the defence first half was all he really offered. Held it up well on a few occasions and you could see he was making the right runs.

Gestede - 4 - if he's not winning his headers then he offers little else. A frustrating afternoon for him.

Bamford and Downing changed things when introduced, though we still looked so unbalanced. It seemed we were relying on the long ball to our strikers and hoping that the second ball fell to us, which it didn't.

Really poor display that hopefully won't be repeated. A game that was screaming out for pace on the wings.