• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are we on the same points now as the promotion season? I remeber we started off slowly then.

We had 8 points after 5 games that season.

(Brighton were top with 13, Hull Ipswich and QPR all had 10, Cardiff 9, then us).

Incidentally, Charlton had 8 and MK Dons had 7, and they both went down....

So it really is early days, and too early to be too worried.

Cheers.

Are we on the same points now as the promotion season? I remeber we started off slowly then.

We were on 8 and that included a 0-0 draw with PNE.

We then went on a 7 game winning streak (let's hope that can be repeated)

Worthwhile looking at the M/D thread archive section :)

Still seems odd that Monk drastically changed things as much as he did, off the back of improvements game by game it felt like we slipped all the way back to that opening day loss against Wolves...

Baker certainly isn't a right midfielder and Fabio isn't a left midfielder. Felt like Monk was trying to pigeon-hole the best performers against S***horpe into the team whilst keeping the big dressing room characters like Friend happy.

What we ended up with was a mess and it showed against a well oiled Preston who knew their roles down to a tee.

SD, another single match down, regardless of how God awful it was, doesn't equate to you being correct about prophecising the entire season. If you want to gloat, I suggest that you actually wait until what you suggested takes place. Right now we have 41 games and 123 points up for grabs. Improvements must be made, for sure. Play like this for another 41 games and we'd more likely be looking at the relegation zone than automatic promotion. But it's not happened yet.

What I stated was the first 3 to 5 games may well be an indicator of a season we are meant to storm. Being the Championship is the hardest league it was a very bold statement to make. I don't wish BORO failure, quite the contrary.

SD, another single match down, regardless of how God awful it was, doesn't equate to you being correct about prophecising the entire season. If you want to gloat, I suggest that you actually wait until what you suggested takes place. Right now we have 41 games and 123 points up for grabs. Improvements must be made, for sure. Play like this for another 41 games and we'd more likely be looking at the relegation zone than automatic promotion. But it's not happened yet.

What I stated was the first 3 to 5 games may well be an indicator of a season we are meant to storm. Being the Championship is the hardest league it was a very bold statement to make. I don't wish BORO failure, quite the contrary.

I know you don't wish failure on us at all, I'd banish anyone who would think that. But I'm not convinced 3 to 5 games into a new season with a new manager, a new philosophy and new players to fit that philosophy is a good measure of a 46 game season. You're looking at 10-15 games before you can really start to see the league table start to shape up properly.

What were the failed promises, sanddancer?

Still waiting for an answer to this, mind.

Would you wish to expand on what you are referring.

This: 

Of course I'm being critical, I have a right to be, especially since I throw money at failed promises. Four games gone and I see nothing in the team that will storm the league. Fact I think we have been lucky so far. I'm not buying the into the new buz word, gel period. I don't believe SG is either when he announced our intent.

Love the Facebook guys on here. It's fairly hilarious.

I for one am backing monk. He's the guy I wanted and I think he'll deliver. Not quite sure who our Facebook fans would have suggested we spend the money on but I think we have bought quite wisely. And there is a bit left to do.

As for the match, monk got it wrong. Playing people out of position is wrong, and I hope he has learnt his lesson and doesn't do it again. I think he still doesn't know his best 11. Gestede starting well seems to have confused monk as I don't think he was in monks plans at all before the season started. Maybe he was playing a formation that he thinks he will ultimately play with the expected incoming players. Who knows? None of us I'd suggest.

This: 

Of course I'm being critical, I have a right to be, especially since I throw money at failed promises. Four games gone and I see nothing in the team that will storm the league. Fact I think we have been lucky so far. I'm not buying the into the new buz word, gel period. I don't believe SG is either when he announced our intent.

I could go through the last few seasons and offering quotes on recruitment but lets just stay. On arrival back to the Premier. "We're delighted to be back, but we're back to compete." Although this is really irrelevant as we are still progressing said he wants Boro to 'smash the Championship'. When bold statements are made, and I'm not alone expecting them to be executed, hence we invest in the club. It just makes it a lot more painful when we fail miserably. I don't believe any of us enjoys abject failure, not when it's your own club. On the past five games BORO still have a great deal of work to do just to compete. Lets hope the change comes quick.

It's hard to say the club haven't tried to compete... And spending money doesn't guarantee success, just ask Sunderland who had a top 15 wage bill in Europe, but the worst team in the Prem by a distance.

Monk does have a lot of work to do, if he's not careful he's going to quickly turn the fans. The dopey Nuts&Bolts comment and blaming the players was shameful. I hope with signing Jota, and Braithwaite returning, he goes back to basics and sets the team up in a simple shape, that gets the best out of the creative players and we stop this long ball football. Part of me hopes we sell Gestede just to end that option once and for all.

Initially thought Howson was a good buy, got me beat as to what role his supposed to be playing, dominant midfielder at Leeds and Norwich, scored goals took set pieces created, does none of this here, hasn't had a good game in 5.

Howson looks no better than Dean Whitehead at the moment, maybe slightly quicker but that's about it. To be fair the Norwich fans said he can be pretty anonymous in a lot of games.

This: 

I could go through the last few seasons and offering quotes on recruitment but lets just stay. On arrival back to the Premier. "We're delighted to be back, but we're back to compete." Although this is really irrelevant as we are still progressing said he wants Boro to 'smash the Championship'. When bold statements are made, and I'm not alone expecting them to be executed, hence we invest in the club. It just makes it a lot more painful when we fail miserably. I don't believe any of us enjoys abject failure, not when it's your own club. On the past five games BORO still have a great deal of work to do just to compete. Lets hope the change comes quick.

Maybe stop taking things so literally. Nobody smashes this league or certainly haven't in recent years. But when Gibbo said our aim is to smash the league that is the dream. If we limp over the finish line as we did last time in the championship he'll be happy with that too. Although as for failed promises I don't believe he's relented on his word as he certainly has given Monk the best opportunity to smash the the league. So as far as I am Concerned he's delivered his bit now its up to Monk and the players to help deliver his promise.