oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough and Money: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Middlesbrough and Money: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. A blog article by Tom

The transfer market, as anyone with a passing interest in football will testify, has ‘gone crazy’.

Hundreds of millions of pounds are being exchanged every summer and in January, to the point where we don’t really know what anyone’s value is anymore.

£30m for an uncapped goalkeeper? Sure! £50m for an inconstistent fullback? Where do I sign? Of course, Middlesbrough aren’t quite in the ballpark of those kind of figures just yet, we have been known to be movers and shakers in terms of big money moves in the past, including the recent club record move to bring Britt Assombalonga in for £15m.

Continue reading and discuss...

Can't agree with the following:

Rhodes hit!?

Ravenelli miss?!

Maccrone miss?! (Hit just for the European night)

Huth miss?!

De Roon miss is also very harsh, maybe not a massive hit but did his job to an acceptable level and left for similar money

Rhodes hit!?

Ravenelli miss?!

Huth miss?!

De Roon miss is also very harsh, maybe not a massive hit but did his job to an acceptable level and left for similar money

Very odd article.

Rhodes hit!?

Ravenelli miss?!

Huth miss?!

I had Rhodes as a hit because he filled his prime directive, which was get us up. 

Massimo was a reluctant miss, because of the Euro games, but in the league did he do enough to justify his price tag?

I have amazing memories of Ravanelli's time, but his goal draught away from home was a big part of us getting relegated.

Huth I had as a miss because of his injury record more than performances.

I also struggled with De Roon. I had him as a miss, but probably through no fault of his own as he was never really playing in his best position.

I know a few of these are controversial, but I was following some kind of logic!

Rhodes hit!?

Ravenelli miss?!

Huth miss?!

I had Rhodes as a hit because he filled his prime directive, which was get us up. 

Massimo was a reluctant miss, because of the Euro games, but in the league did he do enough to justify his price tag?

I have amazing memories of Ravanelli's time, but his goal draught away from home was a big part of us getting relegated.

Huth I had as a miss because of his injury record more than performances.

I also struggled with De Roon. I had him as a miss, but probably through no fault of his own as he was never really playing in his best position.

I know a few of these are controversial, but I was following some kind of logic!

For the record - Not saying you're wrong, all opinions

I can see your point on Rhodes, my view is that he didn't do anything I wouldn't of expected Nugent or Kike to do.. whilst there is of course the Bolton game.. missed a lot of chances I think the former would of bagged.

Ravenelii whilst his goal draught away, was still a goal machine!! Be thankful for the home goals!!

Maccarone - would of definitely been a mis like you say if it weren't a for him providing me with one of my favourite boro memories

Huth - ah ok, yeah performances were good!

It's an opinion piece, it's subjective.

Sorry Tom, I didn't realise that you were the author, I certainly didn't mean to offend.

I just find these new pieces that keep appearing very strange, I'm sure a lot of effort goes into them, but I think most come on here for matchday threads, updates and banter, maybe that's just me.

It's an opinion piece, it's subjective.

Sorry Tom, I didn't realise that you were the author, I certainly didn't mean to offend.

I just find these new pieces that keep appearing very strange, I'm sure a lot of effort goes into them, but I think most come on here for matchday threads, updates and banter, maybe that's just me.

There's a whole other part to this site it's not just a forum - Rob wants to get them more integrated, this isn't a bad thing.

Ravanelli's lack of goals away from home wasn't the main reason we got relegated, conceding lots of goals home and away did.

I didn't say it was the main reason, I said 'a big part' (which is also a bit unfair on reflection). In the initial piece I said it would be very harsh to blame relegation in him.

You really have got some odd ones there. Ravanelli. A miss one of the leagues top scorers that season in a relagated team ??

Huth a Miss. he was solid as a rock

Even de Roon. He played every game he was fit for and we made a profit how can that be a miss

You really have got some odd ones there.   Ravanelli.  A miss one of the leagues top scorers that season in a relagated team ??

Huth a Miss.  he was solid as a rock

Even de Roon.   He played every game he was fit for and we made a profit how can that be a miss

He explains why he gave them misses though and they're all based on logic,

I wouldn't agree with all your opinions in the article Tom but I think it was a well written piece and a good read. I enjoy these type of opinion pieces so it's a thumbs up from me