oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton (A) 3-0 (Britt (2) Johnson)

Excellent, or should I say smashing first thread BU.

My team.

----------------Randolph

Christie --- Fry - Gibson ---- Friend

-----------------Clayton

----------Baker ------- Howson

Bamford - Assombalonga - Braithwaite

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant thread.

I'd personally like to see a more attacking line up. We have the best squad in the league and I'd like to see us try to enforce it.

-----------------Randolph----------------

Christie--Fry---Gibson---Friend

Clayton---Baker

Traore---Bamford---Braithewaite 

Assombalonga

Howson for me has done nothing to be guaranteed a starting position and although we lose that extra worker in the middle I think with Bamford/Braithewaite and Britt you have 3 hard working pacey front players that could make up for it with a quick pressing game. I'd also love to see what Baker can do with that movement in front of him.

Excellent, or should I say smashing first thread BU.

My team.

----------------Randolph

Christie --- Fry - Gibson ---- Friend

-----------------Clayton

----------Baker ------- Howson

Bamford - Assombalonga - Braithwaite

This would be my team as well, I think you can't drop Fry whilst he's playing so well, 3 clean sheets in 4 games and an international call up. Maybe there's some cause for Fabio to start of Friend.

I think the midfield picks itself at the moment, I've not got the Howson bashing so far as I think he does good work in each phase of the game, he looks like a box to box midfielder who will contribute all over the park. With Baker taking more of the attacking responsibility than Forshaw did, I think this frees Howson to play to his strengths.

As for the Forwards, I think that front 3 was what Monk envisioned when he bought the strikers, a mobile narrow front 3 that are all neat on the ball and can run into the channels. Whilst I was the one calling for Rudy Gestede to be our main man during the transfer window and he's started off the season well, I think we have to try to make the system work as well as possible and he doesn't quite fit and should be more of a plan B.

I think Braithwaite is considered the more likely first team player over Gestede in the long run.

Like Ayala is, at his best, a better defender than Fry.

I kept Gestede in because I think he's precisely what we need to make their defenders work. It depends how they set up though. It's early season so you might think they'd look to play to win from the off, especially on the back of promotion. But you might also think after those first 5 games and sitting rock bottom, they might ease off and try and frustrate us by not making much space for us to play and try and snatch a point, even if it is at home. If that's the case, that's precisely when we need Gestede. I'm not sure how much height is in their back-line, depends on Wheater I guess? Doesn't look like he's played yet?

Brilliant thread.

I'd personally like to see a more attacking line up. We have the best squad in the league and I'd like to see us try to enforce it.

-----------------Randolph----------------

Christie--Fry---Gibson---Friend

Clayton---Baker

Traore---Bamford---Braithewaite 

Assombalonga

Howson for me has done nothing to be guaranteed a starting position and although we lose that extra worker in the middle I think with Bamford/Braithewaite and Britt you have 3 hard working pacey front players that could make up for it with a quick pressing game. I'd also love to see what Baker can do with that movement in front of him.

I like this team for home games.

I think Braithwaite is considered the more likely first team player over Gestede in the long run.

Like Ayala is, at his best, a better defender than Fry.

I kept Gestede in because I think he's precisely what we need to make their defenders work. It depends how they set up though. It's early season so you might think they'd look to play to win from the off, especially on the back of promotion. But you might also think after those first 5 games and sitting rock bottom, they might ease off and try and frustrate us by not making much space for us to play and try and snatch a point, even if it is at home. If that's the case, that's precisely when we need Gestede. I'm not sure how much height is in their back-line, depends on Wheater I guess? Doesn't look like he's played yet?

You'd assume so given we've spent £9 mil on him but we also spent £6 mil on Gestede. Money isn't an indicator of a 1st team spot but i see what you're getting at with regard to style of play. To be fair Preston wasn't great but i'd put that more down to the *** up in tactics rather than any individual. However on the whole i dont think you can really drop Gestede unless it's for a major tactical reason.

I think you'd generally get better use out of Traore away from home when there's more space to run in to from deeper.

That's true. But I also think when facing two banks of four, having someone who can go past people with ease, creating two on ones, can help immensely.

I'd go for: Randolph, Christie, Fabio, Ayala, Gibson, Clayts, Leadbitter, Baker, Gestede, Braithwate and Assombalonga. In the 433 we'd been playing before Preston. Although it never looked pretty, we consistently created bag fulls of chances.

Can see why there's been calls to drop friend due to his poor by his standards start to the season, but hasn't this bee the case pretty much every season for him? He always takes a while to get going from my recollection. Plus Fabio is not the answer and leaves us exposed defensively (relies on his pace and tenacity to recover rather than defending smart) so id continue to go with friend.

Also think that we should consider the 4231 formation again. We have the perfect players for it. I'd go with..

Randolph

Christie fry Gibson friend

Clayton howson

Bamford baker braithwaite

Assombalonga

With traore and gestede options to change the game from the bench.

Can see why there's been calls to drop friend due to his poor by his standards start to the season, but hasn't this bee  the case pretty much every season for him? He always takes a while to get going from my recollection. Plus Fabio is not the answer and leaves us exposed defensively (relies on his pace and tenacity to recover rather than defending smart) so id continue to go with friend. 

Fabio leaves us exposed at the back but Friend doesn't? 

:shy: :rolleyes: