oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton (A) 3-0 (Britt (2) Johnson)

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy on radio tees. Saying monk should be sacked :s

Im listening to that as well, i think that was a weird call he seems to suggest that its because he plays downing intermittently and we have a god given right to get more goals against Bolton.

For the first time this season Monk picks a formation that the players are comfortable with and we play well.

There's no need to reinvent the coaching manual in this division, we just need to be organised and compact when we defend and have balance at the top end of the pitch.

Hopefully we can settle on this formation, we've got options to tweak things with Bamford able to play as a number 9 or 10 and competition all over the pitch.

I'm delighted for Leadbitter to play and prove people wrong, I've never understood the criticism he gets from a section of our fans on here.

For the first time this season Monk picks a formation that the players are comfortable with and we play well.

There's no need to reinvent the coaching manual in this division, we just need to be organised and compact when we defend and have balance at the top end of the pitch.

Hopefully we can settle on this formation, we've got options to tweak things with Bamford able to play as a number 9 or 10 and competition all over the pitch.

I'm delighted for Leadbitter to play and prove people wrong, I've never understood the criticism he gets from a section of our fans on here.

Agree totally. If you pick a balanced team it doesn't need to have all our best players in it but it works. Braithwaite for downing once he's fit and hopefully Howsen gets himself sorted and replaces leadbitter, a fully fit Ayala back in and we should be able to beat anyone in this league.

admittedly i'm not the biggest Leadbitter fan, but the only real criticism I have of him is his lack of pace.

Yeah I fully agree with not trying to be too clever in this league. Playing 2 CB's with wing backs and Clayton as a half back and 3 narrow forwards at the start of the season just screamed of Monk trying to be too clever. It's hard enough making a lot of new signings and getting them to gel, but to make a lot of new signings and getting them to play in a system which most have never played before is too much. It's downright stupid to do it when we didn't even play it in pre season. We have a better squad than most, if not all, teams in this league and I guarantee most will have played in a 4231 before. So put the good players in familiar positions and system, where they know where to expect their teammates and reap the benefits.

This league over the years has made people like Pilkington, Adomah, Deeney, Wilson and Knockaert look like pace monsters I mean Traore beats every one of them for speed maybe even by seconds in a sprint yet alone tenths of a second. The LBs in this league tend to be well travelled 'solid Championship level' or on loan youngsters looking for game time you'd have to favour Traore against every single one of them. If Traore keeps improving he'll terrify every defence in this division there's no other player in our team, possibly in 95% of Championship teams, that terrify opposition defenders like Traore when he's running the potential and scope of damage this guy could do for us this season is crazy.

He still frustrates with a poor cross here or there but there's no doubt he is dangerous and with Christie on his side it makes it extremely difficult for opposition to double up on Adama and let Christie overlap. At the start of the summer if someone said to me at the start of September 2 of our key players would be Traore and Fry I'm not sure I'd have believed them but I'm glad they're both stepping up for us right now it adds genuine excitement. International football's not really top of my list but at the next round of callups Fry has to get in that England U21 defence I can't think of any better 20 year old English CBs right now...

A few points from me, but won't go over any old ground - Traore excellent, Britt did the business etc, just wanted to make a few points about some of the players who won't get the headlines.

Randolph is a superb keeper. His athleticism to get down to save a last minute shot that would not have affected the outcome of the game had it gone in shows what a buy he was. I feel very comfortable with the guy between the sticks.

Fabio and Christie will face better opponents, but were accomplished in everything they did. Perhaps understandably, playing behind Traore and Downing respectively, Christie was more reserved and Fabio more adventurous. But it was good to see a more defensive side to Christie's game. I'm not ringing the death knells for Friend's place as a first team fixture just yet, but these guys are firmly in the driving seat.

Rumours of Leadbitter's fade into obscurity have been greatly exaggerated. I confess to have been guilty of thinking his days as a starter were over, but he was fantastic today. Him and Clayton have lost none of their mutual understanding.

Downing was playing pretty much the same role he did under Karanka, left midfield but not bombing on, and coming inside a bit more than Adama did. He looked rusty, but his passing is still up there with the best. Not convinced he should be in the XI every week, but I'm glad we didn't sell him.

It's not quite happening for Baker yet, but I'm not really too worried. Unlike Howson, who doesn't seem to know where he fits in, it's pretty obvious what Baker's role is. When it does click, his though balls for Britt will be a real weapon.

Is it too early to be concerned about Fletcher? While I'm not massively worried, as if Britt gets injured we have Braithwaite and Bamford, his cameo today only added to the feeling that he may be a bit of a dud. When Braithwaite is fit, I wouldn't be adverse to giving Fletcher a few weeks in the U23s to get some football under his belt.

A few points from me, but won't go over any old ground - Traore excellent, Britt did the business etc, just wanted to make a few points about some of the players who won't get the headlines.

Randolph is a superb keeper. His athleticism to get down to save a last minute shot that would not have affected the outcome of the game had it gone in shows what a buy he was. I feel very comfortable with the guy between the sticks.

Fabio and Christie will face better opponents, but were accomplished in everything they did. Perhaps understandably, playing behind Traore and Downing respectively, Christie was more reserved and Fabio more adventurous. But it was good to see a more defensive side to Christie's game. I'm not ringing the death knells for Friend's place as a first team fixture just yet, but these guys are firmly in the driving seat.

Rumours of Leadbitter's fade into obscurity have been greatly exaggerated. I confess to have been guilty of thinking his days as a starter were over, but he was fantastic today. Him and Clayton have lost none of their mutual understanding.

Downing was playing pretty much the same ole he did under Karanka, left midfield but not bombing on, and coming inside a bit more than Adama did. He looked rusty, but his passing is still up there with the best. Not convinced he should be in the XI every week, but I'm glad we didn't sell him.

It's not quite happening for Baker yet, but I'm not really too worried. Unlike Howson, who doesn't seem to know where he fits in, it's pretty obvious what Baker's role is. When it does click, his though balls for Britt will be a real weapon.

Is it too early to be concerned about Fletcher? While I'm not massively worried, as if Britt gets injured we have Braithwaite and Bamford, his cameo today only added to the feeling that he may be a bit of a dud. When Braithwaite is fit, I wouldn't be adverse to giving Fletcher a few weeks in the U23s to get some football under his belt.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of Downing. But I think you nailed it when saying he was "pretty much the same ole." But to me, 'the same ole (Downing)' is not something I want to see in this team.

I might be wrong, but he lost the ball so, so many times. Sure, he's great at slowing down the counter attacks, which, to his defense, is sometimes great if we want to keep hold of the ball. But, we have Britt and Traore in that side. Why would we want to put a halt to a potential counter attack playing against slow CBs? 

In the same vein, his crossing and passing is not superior to anyone (bar Traore.. except for today), I really see no point in having him in the starting XI. Perhaps a cameo here and there for the last 10 min, sure.