oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton (A) 3-0 (Britt (2) Johnson)

Dunno what more Fry has to do, to convince some people. He's been really good and the lad is only 20. Deserves his place over Ayala 100%.

I don't think anybody is critisizing Fry RR, as he has done very very well, but most people know, at this moment in time, Ayala is a better player. His record with Gibson is awesome in this league, and he offers a big goal threat at the other end.

If you look at todays game, the 2 big saves Randolph made were from Madine getting the better of Fry physically, its not his fault as he's still young and slender, but Ayala comes out on top in them battles IMO.

I don't think anybody will grumble if Fry keeps playing, but I think people want to see the Ayala who played in the Championship previously, as he was an absolutely dominant force.

I'm not disputing that Ayala was brilliant, he was, however the physical battles were actually where he struggled most. I can't be the only one who remembers the Nuhiu game, or his encounters with Deeney and others.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the game today so can't judge him on that. I can only judge Fry on what I've seen and it's not the best thing since sliced bread that everyone else says.

I'm happy to admit I must be wrong though when I can actually watch him, there's surely no other reason the lad would still be in the 11 with Shotton and Ayala waiting behind him.

Dunno what more Fry has to do, to convince some people. He's been really good and the lad is only 20. Deserves his place over Ayala 100%.

I don't think anybody is critisizing Fry RR, as he has done very very well, but most people know, at this moment in time, Ayala is a better player. His record with Gibson is awesome in this league, and he offers a big goal threat at the other end.

If you look at todays game, the 2 big saves Randolph made were from Madine getting the better of Fry physically, its not his fault as he's still young and slender, but Ayala comes out on top in them battles IMO.

I don't think anybody will grumble if Fry keeps playing, but I think people want to see the Ayala who played in the Championship previously, as he was an absolutely dominant force.

I'm not disputing that Ayala was brilliant, he was, however the physical battles were actually where he struggled most. I can't be the only one who remembers the Nuhiu game, or his encounters with Deeney and others.

I remember them games Will but I don't think he struggles with the physicality in general. Nuhiu and Deeney are 2 battles he did lose on the days but there isnt many more examples of it, he went toe to toe with Lukaku on plenty of occasions in the cup and came out on top.

Its all relative at the moment anyway as Fry continues to play well, and we are not conceding goals so he will continue to play. Ayala will be needed at some stage this season ( as will Shotton ) so lets all hope he gets back to his best because he's a cut above in this league as we've all seen.

Does that Ayala actually exist anymore though? He's hampered by injuries to the point he's downright unreliable and while I don't question his strength and quality when he's at his best, we've seen only glimpses of it and rare ones at that since that promotion season. Whatever happened to his ankle, he's never been right since.  Personally, I know I'm in the minority here, I'd rather play the fit 20 year old who's probably only going to end up replacing Ayala in the long run anyway.

Said this from about half way through last season Ayala ever since he got dropped for chambers he has not come back the same player and i think fry deserves his chance at keeping his spot alongside Gibson.

Im all for playing players on form and fry definately deserves his chance at the moment. If he makes a clanger that leads to a goal against then he can be dropped but so far so good.

Id also maybe start Johnson

Ahead of downing, id either start downing down the middle or bring him on later after depending on how baker does.

But for me this team needs to start

Randolph

Christie

Fry

Gibson

Fabio

Clayton

Leadbitter

Downing/ baker

Johnson

Traore

Assombalonga

Thinking about the villa game id tweak the team now but not change it massively so id go for -

gk - Randolph

rb - Christie

cb- Fry

cb - Gibson

lb - Fabio

cdm - Clayton

cdm - Leadbitter

Lw - Downing /Baker

Cam - Bamford

Rw Traore

St- Assombalonga

I noticed a passage yesterday here Leadbitter was looking to advance with the ball and play it forward but had to turn around and play it backwards. Immediately he gave the players in front a bollocking for not making themselves available. That was great to see and I don't think it's something Howson would have done.

Just saw the goals on twitter. Adama looked unplayable. Now, can he keep his place? Last year, when I was able to watch every Boro game because the were in the prem, he had a great couple of games and everyone was raving about him. Karanka gushed about his talent and then dropped him. I'm hoping that the Adama / Britt link up is the start of something special.

Britt makes Traore a better player. Britt can keep up with play and get into positions for Traore to pick him out.

I'm still not sold on Downing. Why not give this hungry new lad a run in the team to see what he can do.

You can't beat Clayts and Leadboots at this level.

Bamford is a class act and I want him on the pitch.

This is the team I'd love to see.

------------------ Randolph ------------------

-- Christie -- Fry ---- Gibson -- Fabio --

--------- Clayton ------ Leadbitter ---------

-- Traore ------- Bamford -------- Johnson --

--------------- Assombalonga ---------------

I mean I've seen Fry for the full 90 in the Forest, Sheffield and Bolton games each game he gets better I'm honestly surprised the Boro boy hypetrain hasn't got more passengers on it he's looked better than Gibson looked at 20 and I love Ben so take that as a compliment for Fry. I get people watching the highlights and seeing the Madine chest and volley thinking Fry got rolled but I mean at a point a striker chesting and volleying from 20 yards as well as Madine did can be put down to fair play to the striker?

The highlight's are not doing justice to Fry's on the ball composure back there he's doing cruyff turns and bringing the ball out very well stepping into midfield and looking comfortable doing it. Gibson looks better when with Fry because with Ayala how often does Ben have to drop to cover Ayala's side when Ayala gets too tight and either fouls before he gets turned and has to run 40 yards or evaded. Fry was marking Madine so well he was constantly pushing him to the halfway line which really let the whole team hold a higher line. I mean when do his goalsaving blocks, he made a brilliant couple of blocks vs Sheff United as well, stop being luck? When does his turn of pace start getting looked at because it's deceptive but Fry covers ground very well for a guy who looks every inch of 6"3. I'm saying is there's a point where the fans criticism of being too lean etc start fading away he'll probably get stronger naturally but I can't see him developing a Phil Jones physique he seems like he'll track more like Stones in his physical development.

I mean clearly he's still got doubters and we've been burned before by hyping up one of our youngsters but I'm seeing Fry as a composed CB in all aspects, rarely does he dangle a leg in anger or make a rash misjudgement he's only going to get better from here it's scary how good he'll be in 12 months after a season with Gibson it is a ridiculous talent we have on our hands. This Boro prospect who was looked at by the big clubs at 16/17 played all of the England age groups might actually turn out to live up to what the scouts believed he could be I don't remember a 20 year old Middlesbrough youngster who has looked as good as him in the 20 years I've been watching I guess more people will come round as the season rolls on.

Aye, fair play to Adama. I've been a strong critic of his, but yesterday was the best performance of a winger in a Boro shirt we've seen in a very, very long time. Probably since we were in the Prem the time before last. Hopefully that means he's sorted his attitude out and is improving off the pitch as well as on it.

Was great to see Britt give him the recognition for both goals too.

Just saw the extended highlights on the Boro site. Adama, take a bow son. Play like that every week and there's not a full-back in the division who can stop him.

Calls for Downing to be dropped for Johnson seem a bit unfair based on those highlights. Seemed to do quite well. Besides, a team wins 3-0 without any reasonably poor performances, the last thing you really want to do (especially when your next game is quite similar, a struggling team away from home with slow defenders) is change anything. Give them the next game together.

And with that result we put ourselves into the top 6. What a difference a win makes at this stage of the season. Looks like the break came at a good time for us. UTB.