oneBoro Forum

Gestede possibly out for season (rumour)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost like nobody else is capable of asking one of the most basic questions you're likely to get at a pre-match presser.

Or perhaps they're being cautious because they don't want to be banned by the club :rolleyes:

Confirmed

" GARRY MONK has suffered an attacking blow after learning striker Rudy Gestede is facing a spell on the sidelines.

Boro boss Monk is expected to clarify the situation on Thursday afternoon at his pre-match press conference, but the Benin international is known to have had minor surgery on a leg problem during the international break.

Middlesbrough resisted hefty offers from Leeds United before the transfer window closed for the powerful striker and he has been used regularly by Monk.

Now Gestede, a £6m buy in January, is facing a lay-off, with the problem which was suffered earlier this week and not believed to have taken place when they faced Preston North End, contrary to reports.

No timescale has been put on the injury at this stage, but he does look set to miss a number of matches until it has been deemed whether or not the operation has been a success.

For starters the former Blackburn and Aston Villa front-man looks certain to be absent from this Saturday’s trip to Bolton and then Tuesday’s visit to his former home, Villa Park.

Monk will have to reshuffle his forward line, with Patrick Bamford, Britt Assombalonga, Ashley Fletcher, Adama Traore, Stewart Downing and, now, latest signing Marvin Johnson competing for the front three positions.

Middlesbrough’s £9m striker Martin Braithwaite has been missing since the opening weekend of the season with a hamstring injury and he had expected to return after the international break.

But there has been no indication as to whether Braithwaite will be fit enough to figure soon and Monk is preparing his squad for this Saturday’s trip to the Macron Stadium.

The injury to Gestede could not have come at a worse time. He has been enjoying life under Monk and has displayed, arguably, his best football since moving from Aston Villa at the start of the year.

He has scored three goals in 26 appearances and he will hope to make a quick recovery, knowing Middlesbrough turned down a £5.5m offer from Leeds for him last month to highlight how highly he is valued at the Riverside now."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15519159.Middlesbrough__Boro_striker_waits_to_learn_length_of_lay_off_after_surgery/?ref=twtrec

I think we are likely to play 3-5-2 on Saturday with:

Randolph; Christie, Fry, Ayala, Gibson, Friend/Johnson; Clayton, Baker, Howson; Assombalonga, Bamford

Braithwaite has just returned from injury so I can't imagine him starting. In future games, one way that we could get three forwards into a wingback formation would be to have two holding midfielders like Karanka preferred with Clayton and Leadbitter, which would become a 3-4-3 Chelsea type formation. I have a feeling that that's the sort of system that we'll settle upon.

Can't say how I know this obviously but I'm hearing Gestede's injury was one that happened at home and not in training, he basically fell over and had to get the club doctor round.

I'd say its true as I've got no reason not to believe it.

Randolph; Christie, Fry, Ayala, Gibson, Friend/Johnson; Clayton, Baker, Howson; Assombalonga, Bamford

Braithwaite has just returned from injury so I can't imagine him starting. In future games, one way that we could get three forwards into a wingback formation would be to have two holding midfielders like Karanka preferred with Clayton and Leadbitter, which would become a 3-4-3 Chelsea type formation. I have a feeling that that's the sort of system that we'll settle upon.

If we play 3-5-2 I'll cry. It never works unless you have world class played and a manager and players that are very comfortable with it i.e. Chelsea, Juventus, Italy.

If we play 3-5-2 I'll cry. It never works unless you have world class played and a manager and players that are very comfortable with it i.e. Chelsea, Juventus, Italy.

Did Sheff Utd and Bolton not get promoted from league 1 with it?

It's almost like nobody else is capable of asking one of the most basic questions you're likely to get at a pre-match presser.

Or perhaps they're being cautious because they don't want to be banned by the club :rolleyes:

Yeah, of course mate. Asking about injuries is just one step too far. Glad we've uncovered the real reason the Gazette reporters are banned.

Watford got promoted to the Premier League with 3-5-2 a few seasons ago. I'm not a fan of it as whenever we've played it I thought that it looked very negative. The signing of Johnson strikes me as a move towards playing it regularly and it seems to be the fad formation at the moment though. I'm very concerned about the possibility of Friend playing the left centre-back; He's great at driving into space and dragging the ball inside from the left flank but with the ball at his feet, looking for a pass, he's very poor. Moving back to the formation, the lack of overlapping wide players in any of Monk's systems - 3-5-2 & 4-1-2-1-2 - so far has been very awkward to watch. Monk has seemed to pack the team full of central midfielders but other than Clayton excelling in the deeper role, those further ahead of him like Howson and Forshaw have been anonymous so I don't see what the extra central midfielder adds to us. But I'll reserve any strong opinion until a good few more games as Monk is clearly still trying to find the right system and players. I'm far more of a fan of 4-2-3-1 but our squad lacks the balance to play it, especially as we don't have a high quality #10 which is vital for that formation, so I don't see us being able to put out a particularly effective team in that formation.

If there's one potential positive to come from Gestede's injury it could be that Monk may be far more tempted to see if two pacey wide players, like Traore and Braithwaite, in a 3-4-3 will have far more effect than the more narrow systems that have struggled to win us as many points as we'd have hoped for. That will mean dropping a central midfielder to make space for an extra forward/winger but, as mentioned above, I don't see what the extra central midfielder adds to us so I would happily see the tactical switch to 3-4-3.

Our good luck never ends, does it?

Not the worst guy to go down with an injury we have enough strikers that's for sure as long as Braithwaite's back, Bamford keeps improving and Fletcher gets some minutes he could be quickly forgotten but as an option off the bench he's a blow for sure.