Boro vs Fulham (a) 1-1 (Christie)

Details

Teams – Fulham vs Boro

Location – Craven Cottage

Competition – The Championship

Date – Sat 23rd September 2017

Kick off – 15:00

Intro

On to match thread number 3 for me… and this time we get a trip to the Cottage to visit Fulham. Boro seem to be hitting some form as the much-changed squad begins to gel together (inevitably I’ve just jinxed us and we’re in for a heavy defeat now!).

Fulham have had a stuttering start to the season, with just the 2 wins to their credit so far and just the 8 goals scored in 8 games. They are currently in 14th in the table 4 points behind Boro.

Last Game

The kids proved they were very much ok against Villa in the cup on Tuesday providing the ammunition for Paddy BamBam to take his opportunity and fire us to a 2-0 over Villa.

Fulham had mid-week off after losing at home to Bristol Rovers in the last round of the cup so their last game was a 2-1 defeat away at Burton Albion. There we chances for both throughout but some dodgy defending of a long ball led to Burton’s first and after a cracking strike from Norwood levelled it up a soft penalty gave Burton the win.

History

We’ve met the cottages 63 times before splitting the honours fairly evenly with 29 wins for the Boro, 24 for Fulham and 10 draws.

He looks familiar

A couple of defensive loanee links this time. First off in the form of Tommy Kalas, a player who many thought Boro should have signed this summer, he instead signed permanently for Fulham, and this season managed to get a red card so quick even Traore would have been impressed when he was sent off 39 seconds into the game with Reading. Ryan Fredericks came to the Boro on loan but didn’t see too much game time, he later joined Bristol for about three weeks before getting homesick for London and joined Fulham.

Team News

Injured/Suspended

Boro – Traore, Braithwaite, Gestede

Fulham – Piazon, Soares, Edun

Ones to Watch

Fulham – Tom Cairney

A transfer whirlwind surrounded the Fulham man with several clubs said to be interested in the midfield man, but he stayed where he was and is key to Fulham’s promotion hopes this year. He has struggled with injuries and has only played 3 games so far, quite possibly the reason Fulham have struggled so far. He is expected to be back this weekend though so he’ll be looking to kick start his season.

Boro – Patrick Bamford

When he’s been called upon Bamford has delivered this year. Tuesday’s game was another fine example of that when he scored 2 and hit the bar, but will that force him into the starting 11 for the Fulham game? If so he’ll need to have another good performance to keep Baker and others out of the frame. It’s nice for there to be so much competition for places a the top end of the Boro lineup…long may it continue.

View From the Other side

I’m 3 for 3 in getting match day threads up before other forums…maybe it’s a lucky omen for a good result on Saturday. When it does go up it’ll be here:

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mi9qfdrh3gqiukrgju5clvo752&board=22.0

Predictions

My predicted lineup: Randolph, Fabio, Fry, Gibson, Christie, Clayton, Leadbitter, Downing, Johnson, Bamford, Assombalonga

My predicted score: 2-1 Boro

Talking Points

Will Bamford get to start?

What’s happened to George Friend?

Which of the kids from the cup game get closest to the first team in the long run?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

442 would be nice:

-----------paddy britt

marv -------------- (anyone but downing)

--------clayton howson

fabio ---gibbo fry ---christie

but reckon 4231.

--------------britt

marv -----------------anyone but downing, (a cone would do)

------------baker

------clayton howson

fabio--- gibbo fry ---christie

------------Randalph-----------

Christie---Fry---Gibbo---Fabio

-------Clayton  Howson-------

Bamford---Baker---Johnson

-------------Britt---------------

Don't envy Monk when Traore/Braithwaite get fit. Nice position to be in though.

its the first time in a very long time we've had a squad were really good players cant get in the team, because another really good player is doing well. add in braithwaite like you said tough decisions. every week our bench will be loaded.

Id go for this team too. Bamford off the back of 2 goals and knowing Traore will be only out through enforcement for a couple more games. High on confidence and that extra motivation to do well in that wide slot.

That's my jam!

2-1 boro, britt 25.

Id go for this team too. Bamford off the back of 2 goals and knowing Traore will be only out through enforcement for a couple more games. High on confidence and that extra motivation to do well in that wide slot.

With this being a tough away game I think we will see Leadbitter instead of Howson. Other than that the selection is spot on imho. However I just don't think Monk will pick Bamford on the wing, but I hope it's not Downing as he just doesn't offer anything. I was pleased to see him do well when he was first picked this season and looked like he really wanted to succeed but then he just went into his shell in the games against QPR and Villa. By all means have him on the bench if we need to see the game out and have someone who can distribute the ball well and keep it in our ranks, but not from the start.

It's a difficult choice for this one in a few positions. Most the team picks itself. I'm concerned about that left back spot, neither Friend nor Fabio have really made it their own despite both being given plenty of chances (for this stage of the season anyway). I'd stick with Fabio for now as Friend didn't sound like he made much of an impact against Villa's second string. It sounded like Howson had his best game for us against VIlla from the radio commentary alone despite still not being at his best, I'd bring him in for this. Further forward, I think I'd just about be confident enough to stick with the front 4 from the QPR game with great thought given to a potential Bamford introduction for Downing early in the 2nd half.

Randolph

Christie Fry Gibson Fabio

Clayton Howson

Downing Baker Johnson

Assombalonga

It's a difficult choice for this one in a few positions. Most the team picks itself. I'm concerned about that left back spot, neither Friend nor Fabio have really made it their own despite both being given plenty of chances (for this stage of the season anyway). I'd stick with Fabio for now as Friend didn't sound like he made much of an impact against Villa's second string. It sounded like Howson had his best game for us against VIlla from the radio commentary alone despite still not being at his best, I'd bring him in for this. Further forward, I think I'd just about be confident enough to stick with the front 4 from the QPR game with great thought given to a potential Bamford introduction for Downing early in the 2nd half.

Randolph

Christie Fry Gibson Fabio

Clayton Howson

Downing Baker Johnson

Assombalonga

I still think Leadbitter has been so good in the last two away fixtures, his leadership and ability to control the tempo of the game will do us well, Clayton and Leadbitter made over 100 passes each against Bolton and combined had 25% of the total possession in the match. I just couldn't see dropping him at this stage, maybe for a home match where we're more likely to be on the front foot.

I'd probably be starting Bamford over Downing just because he's more dangerous and it sets out a good precedent that if you perform in the cup you can force yourself into the starting 11, but could see why either would start as Downing would allow us more of a foot hold in the game.

It's the right hand side that's difficult... Downing has been mediocre, Johnson only really operates on the left, Bamford is better through the middle and make sure us much more narrow on that flank. If Braithwaite were fully fit, I'd have him there to ghost in at the back post for Johnson's crosses, but I'm not sure he'll be sharp enough for a game like this one. There's Wing, but a Championship baptism away at Fulham is perhaps a step too far.

Personally, I'd keep Leadbitter in for this one ahead of Howson. He and Clayton have a ready-mad eunderstanding, which could be key to us winning the midfield battle in this one.

LB is like having to choose a concert to go to when the only options are Bieber or Robin Thicke...

Based on what I saw at Villa Park the other night, Dan1234,s team is the one for me, Howson looked to have the energy that Leadbitter lacks and Bamford even on the right offers far more than Downing. I will go for a 2-2 draw.

Randolph

Christie - Fry - Gibson - Fabio

Clayton - Leadbitter

Bamford - Baker - Johnson

Assombolonga

Okay Bamford isn't an out and out winger... but surely he is still more mobile and likely to score/assist that Downing from the right? He would be getting in at the back post to support Britt and we've already seen he can thread a pass through... hope he starts.

Not sure what has happened to George, he is in bad form for sure but lets not write him off just yet, he could still be an important player this season.

Would give Tavernier a spot on the bench, he looked class.