oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

The first of two home games in 5 days see Boro take on Norwich at the Riverside. Boro will be looking to maintain their unbeaten run which now stretches over 7 games including the Carabao Cup. 

Latest form:

Boro came back from London with a hard fought point at Fulham. The hosts often had Boro on their heels with their speed and especially Christie had to work hard for his wages. Fulham broke the deadlock on 86 mins but Christie had the last laugh when he pounced on a loose ball just two minutes later. A share of the spoils were probably a fair result and not many Boro fans seemed upset after the game.

Norwich played dire 0-0 at home against Bristol City in a match that had a grand total of 4 shots on target. The result means the Canaries are now unbeaten in 5 games, which is pretty impressive considering they are just, well, tiny birds.

Ones to watch:

Boro: Everyone

Norwich: It'll be interesting to see Yannick Wildshutt again. The lad possesses plenty of pace but never really made it at Boro who sold him to Wigan (I think). It came as a surprise to everyone when Norwich somehow thought it was a great idea to fork out 7 million for him. Yeah 7 million. From what I can gather he hasn't really set the world alight at Norwich, although their last season was very much inconsistent as a whole as they tried to adjust to getting relegated. Wildshutt has scored 1 goal in 8 apps. 

Josh Murphy is another player that should be interesting to have a look at, as Boro pressumably bid for the young winger in the summer. The young winger has featured in 12 games this season scoring 4 goals and creating one goal.

James Husband is another former Boro player, becoming a tiny bird in the summer. The left back, turned tiny bird, never really seized his chances at Boro standing behind George Friend throughout his time here. He has played in 10 games so far and has assisted 1 goal.

View from the opposition. Still just an early thread and no real views on boro. Just discussing which 11 tiny birds need to start on the pitch against 11 lions.

Borodanes team:

---------Randolph---------

Christie-Fry-Gibbo-Fabio

-----Clayton-Howson-----

Traore----Baker--Marvin

-------------Britt-----------

Prediction: 2-0, Britt and Marvin.

Main talking points:

Did Bamford do enough to get another start?

Does Traore get straight back into the lineup?

What on earth has gone wrong with Friend?

Injury updates on Fabio and Braithwaite?

There is a stream on the norwich website: sign up for a Match Pass

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Bamford? Probably not however I'd say Fulham was mainly Monks fault.

Traore? Has to be straight back in. Unplayable at this level and if he kicks on with his end product we have a beast.

Friend? For me he's the same as Ayala. Notoriously slow starters and need half a dozen games to get up to speed. Don't think he'll get it this season.

No idea on the injuries.

The back five picks itself*. Assuming Fabio is injured.

-------------Randolph

Christie - Fry - Gibson - Friend *

I can see Clayton and Howson starting in the middle again

The front four is the difficulty. For me, Traore has to start, and with Johnson on the other flank we have two very fast players to give the opposition a headache. GM is going to pick Assombalonga up front every time. It's between Bamford and Baker for the final spot for me.

Traore - Baker/Bamford - Johnson

-------------Assombalonga

Nine games into the season here are 10 reasons to be optimistic;

1/ We have a manager who runs a meritocracy, is prepared to vary his tactics and seems to have built a strong squad of players all willing to play for each other. The bad feeling and disputes seem to be a thing of the past.

2/ Going a goal down is no longer a death knell for the result, there are goals in this team from many different directions.

3/ This team is still coming together as a unit and we can expect so much more as the season progresses.

4/ We have conceded 6 goals in 9 games, so the defence appears to be sorted.

5/ Howson is starting to look like the player we all wanted him to be , linking up defence with attack.

6/ We have two home games coming up, win those and we have 21 points from 11 games, getting very close to the 2 points a game needed to get out of this league.

7/ Opinions may vary, but of the teams around us who can see anyone but Wolves lasting the pace, PNE, Ipswich, Sheff U, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, I just cannot see the depths of squad.

8/ Traore's suspension is over and he frightens the life out of defenders at this level.

9/ Braithwaite is back in training and gives us even more options upfront.

10/ We have a guaranteed 20+ goal scorer in Assambalonga.

Excited for the rest of the season, the dark days of last season are diminishing rapidly.

Nine games into the season here are 10 reasons to be optimistic;

1/ We have a manager who runs a meritocracy, is prepared to vary his tactics and seems to have built a strong squad of players all willing to play for each other. The bad feeling and disputes seem to be a thing of the past.

2/ Going a goal down is no longer a death knell for the result, there are goals in this team from many different directions.

3/ This team is still coming together as a unit and we can expect so much more as the season progresses.

4/ We have conceded 6 goals in 9 games, so the defence appears to be sorted.

5/ Howson is starting to look like the player we all wanted him to be , linking up defence with attack.

6/ We have two home games coming up, win those and we have 21 points from 11 games, getting very close to the 2 points a game needed to get out of this league.

7/ Opinions may vary, but of the teams around us who can see anyone but Wolves lasting the pace, PNE, Ipswich, Sheff U, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, I just cannot see the depths of squad.

8/ Traore's suspension is over and he frightens the life out of defenders at this level.

9/ Braithwaite is back in training and gives us even more options upfront.

10/ We have a guaranteed 20+ goal scorer in Assambalonga.

Excited for the rest of the season, the dark days of last season are diminishing rapidly.

I expected the start we got. I maybe even thought the first 5 would be worse than they were. But I thought by the 9th we would be playing slightly better than we are. However as long as we are top 6 at Christmas I feel we will go on a real run after

I'd bring Guedioura back in for this one, he deserves a run of games.

Based on what? Genuine question.

I mean I wouldn't mind him on the bench and seeing how he does. But to say he 'deserves a run of games' seems a bit generous.

He's either taking the *** or he's deluded.

I'd bring Guedioura back in for this one, he deserves a run of games.

Based on what? Genuine question.

I mean I wouldn't mind him on the bench and seeing how he does. But to say he 'deserves a run of games' seems a bit generous.

:)

Here's the team I think we'll go with:

-------------Randolph-------------

Christie---Fry---Gibson---Friend

----Clayton---Leadbitter/Howson---

Traore---------Baker----------Downing

-------------Assombalonga

Assuming Fabio is injured, as teapot said, the back 5 picks itself.

I think the plan might have been for Leadbitter to come back in, but after Howson had his best game yet on Saturday, dropping him against his old club doesn't send the best message.

Baker as well seemed very involved in everything we did well,so I reckon he'll start.

Traore to come straight back in, I fancy him against either of their left backs (especially if Husband plays), and can keep up if Wildschut starts.

I think Johnson might be dropped, as there is suddenly a lot of pressure on him, and I think expectation is quite high, so maybe after a quieter game on Saturday he'll be on the bench for this one.

@Tom

I was at the game vs Fulham, Johnson certainly didn't have a quiet game. Going forward he was our main threat, along with Christie. For me Downing and Bamford are on the chopping block, with Adama and Braithwaite to be included. These 2 home games are ideal for introducing Braithwaite.