oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

Ive always given new managers ten league games so they have time to impress or disappoint, the squad looks good apart from lb position due to friend not looking the same player from his promotion season, back ups for the wingers considering downing is average for the left wing and Bamford is not fancied due to him been lazy in training on the other wing. The manager not convinced hes certainly under achieving with this squad, which is ok since its still early doors if we were improving every game. However we are not we are so slow to start that lets the opposition get ahead and our defence for some reason doesn't seem to be drilled properly at the moment they keep making basic mistakes. Theirs a couple of positive things that encourages me about Monk is the fact that we have proved we can get back into games which is essential (something we did not have last season) and the fact that he tries to change games if they are not going right or to grind out games which is great.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ten games in and we are already 8 points off the top. It's not great is it Gary. We need to buck up our ideas, sharpish.

We were 8 points and a game in hand above Burnley at Christmas, and they still finished above us.

The gap is nothing at the moment... it just doesn't want to keep getting any bigger!!

Not going to be too harsh on Johnson. The guys a victim of his own early success, lets be honest there was probably a reason he hadn't made the step up before now and consistency is probably it. Pretty sure Oxford fans said as much when we got him. 

Baker seems to drop too deep to play the 10 role for me. Maybe in away games, but at home I'd still like to see Monk play him next to Clayton to allow us to get Bamford/Braithewaite on.

Shouldn't be looking at the table at the moment, should be looking at our points total at this stage, we want 2 points a game and we're 5 points behind that figure at the moment.

21 shots 5 on target and 61% possession, but Norwich shut us out pretty effectively... Only positive for me is that Braithwaite is back on the pitch.

Monk took over a squad which included Fabio, Friend, Ayala, Gibson, Clayton, Leadbitter, Forshaw, Traore, Downing, Bamford and Gestede. That's two thirds of a team capable of being near the top of the table.

He's spent 40m + adding to that group of players and still we don't look good enough.

No pattern, no shape, doesn't know his best team or formation. I'm sorry to say but it looks to me like the job is too big for Monk.

I'm not judging him on today because we were the better team for the majority of the game, I'm judging him on the season so far. We've all seen what it takes in recent years to build a promotion winning side. This squad and manager ain't good enough.

Monk took over a squad which included Fabio, Friend, Ayala, Gibson, Clayton, Leadbitter, Forshaw, Traore, Downing, Bamford and Gestede. That's two thirds of a team capable of being near the top of the table.

He's spent 40m + adding to that group of players and still we don't look good enough.

No pattern, no shape, doesn't know his best team or formation. I'm sorry to say but it looks to me like the job is too big for Monk.

I'm not judging him on today because we were the better team for the majority of the game, I'm judging him on the season so far. We've all seen what it takes in recent years to build a promotion winning side. This squad and manager ain't good enough.

But he's English :s

Very frustrating game that.

Bad error by fry for the goal. No clue why he was trying to let it run out, the ball was running very slowly and parallel to the the line, so that was never going to happen.

Norwich then predictably sat back in a 5-5 formation and fell on the floor whenever they could.

If any of our shots had been slightly off centre, we'd have come away with at least a point. But no, just smack them straight at the keeper every time why don't we...

Should have had a pen at the end though for the holding round the neck of assomalonga (I think it was him anyway)

But he's English :s

Yeah thank good Monk isn't one of those pesky Spaniards.

I wonder what will be the next brainwave from Steve Gibson, it's usually one extreme to the other. We've had:

McLaren - experienced number 2 big name players/big earners.

Southgate - rookie manager, young players, low wage bill.

Strachan - The scottish experiment, experienced manager with older players and a big wage bill.

Mowbray - local hero, had to shop in the Aldi version of the transfer market.

Karanka - The foreign experiment, big wage bill.

Garry Monk - British = good, Spanish equals bad.

Every appointment and strategy is jumping from one extreme to another, we seem to have no long term strategy or vision at the club and certainly no consistency.

Im not the person running the club but id say something consistent.

Look at Southampton, they have a great academy and recruitment system. They regularly have to sell their best players but are able to recruit players to fit their style of play.

As a club Southampton are not afraid to change managers but they recruit well and don't have huge transformations in philosophy.

If we want a British based approach let's stick with that and not go from one extreme to the other. In football it's hugely difficult to change half your squad and do it successfully, we changed too many players last summer under Karanka and we've done the same again this summer.

The most successful teams evolve gradually rather than make wholesale changes too often.

Its easier said than done to make minimum changes when you've been relegated mate. Making 2 or 3 changes a season is all good and well if you're Southamption, but if you get relegated you can guarentee 6 or 7 players will want out = squad overhaul required.

I can't disagree with that Duvel. I also thought we made a big mistake last year by bringing in too many new players and we repeated it this year. The slight difference this year is that we look like having a squad that is capable of scoring goals and we still have a solid defence (odd individual errors aside). I still think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season