oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich 0-1

I walked out of the Riverside last night utterly disappointed and frustrated with our performance.

We have no one in the squad who looks capable of playing the No 10 role, Baker certainly doesn't fit the bill so everything has to come from the wings because we create very little in the centre.

A striker in Britt who has missed that many gilt edged chances he should be the top scorer in the country never mind the league that header last night was shocking.

We need a new left back because Fabio and Friend have been *** and its our Achilles heel.

I'll get slaughtered for this (but 6ft 2 big shoulders I'll take it) Gibson has not been at his best so far this season, easily out jumped against Fulham, penalty given against Forest, cock up against QPR is his mind elsewhere I don't know, and I feel its the keepers form that's kept it down to only 7 goals against.

The best defender in this league 2 seasons ago was Ayala and I believe with a good run in the side we can get him back to near his best, he didn't become a bad defender overnight, plus he's the only CB who knows how to attack a ball from set pieces the others don't seem to.

Alarmingly we have gone behind in 5 of our 10 games which doesn't bode well.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Karanka did more with less. Monk has a lot of work to do to convince me that he's the right man for the job, as Humpty said he's been given a team of championship galacticos but doesn't seem to know what to do. Worrying.

Fair enough. Hypothetically then, who would you want managing our galacticos?

OnI dont think they did Jimmy. I think most people can read between the lines. Gibson said he wanted to smash the league. He's put his money where his mouth is & given us the best squad in the league. Monk came with a directive to get us promoted playing good football. Neither of those look like being delivered right now and that's the problem

Maybe mate. I just think we need to give it more time. Yes some of the performances haven't been great at all, Preston, Forest and Wolves for sure. I actually don't think last night's performance (if you take it by itself) was that bad. Norwich scored early from a defensive lapse and a great finish, then defended very well and were dangerous on the counter.

If we'd won against Fulham, many would have just put last night down as 'one of those nights'. Instead I've actually seen calls for Monk to go, he's out of his depth, the clubs too big for him etc.

There's been some positive performances too though this season, and we're still in touching distance. We go on a run of 3 or 4 games and we're mingling with the leaders again. This league can change very quickly. Hopefully the players, and Monk, will keep learning from the poor performances and we will click into gear. I just think a bit of patience is required which I know is difficult because everyone's expectations were to get promoted, and many to go up as champions. Even the papers were predicting us as champions. I just don't think it'll be that easy. 

I fully understand people's frustrations, but some are branding us as 'awful'. Lets be honest, we're not awful. Sunderland are awful, Bolton are awful. They're clubs in real trouble. We're a club still finding our feet.

Ive had a think overnight and ill tell you what i think was missing from yesterday Leadbitter, i think hes the only leader on the pitch we have at the club and the other lads revert to playing as a group of individuals without him pulling them together. Technically hes no better than the rest of them its his presence and organisation that wins us games, if hes not on the pitch if we win its down to individual brilliance that pulls us through or great goal keeping from Randoph or great defending from Gibson or Fry or a combination of all of them nothing more. Ill tell you what i think Monk needs to do in January apart from replacing Bamford with someone he wants, he needs to get rid of Foreshaw and bring in another experienced guy in as a leader in the middle of the park so when Leadbitters not playing hes in doing the same job.

Interesting to see Monk gathering so much flack from last night with people saying he doesn't know his best team etc. At 7pm last night everyone was creaming over the starting line up saying it was the best in the league.

Maybe, just maybe, the players need to shoulder some of the blame sometimes for underperforming?

Also starting to see a familiar scapegoat in Howson. I can think of many players that played worse than him last night including Johnson, Fabio, definitely Baker, even Clayton didn't do much of note but no-one dares criticise him.

All in all I agree with the likes of BWS and Snowblind in that theres a much bigger picture. I think everyone took Gibson's 'we're gonna smash the league' comments to the nth degree, and now we get this reaction every time we don't steam roller a team.

We had a real poor patch October time in our promotion season, and still rallied and went up (with a further blip in Feb/March).

Get behind the team, stop moaning about the manager because he's going nowhere and Karanka isn't coming back.

UTB.

Forget smashing the league, do you think Monk will get us promoted?

Yes.

I think that Monk is capable of getting us promoted, I don't think it will be this season though, he's still learning as a manager and probably needs an experienced assistant to work alongside him.

Monk needs to find the right formation and stick to it for a run of games, drill the players to play a certain way and over time the team will improve.

Being viewed as promotion favourites was always going to make life more difficult, it means that teams raise their game against us and probably put in more preparation than they would against "lesser" teams. It's also lead to huge expectations a***st the majority of fans (and maybe players too) this just increases the pressure.

Give Monk some time and he'll get us up, as Jimmy said, like him or not, he's going nowhere, Gibbo doesn't sack managers after 1 season, that's just not his way, I'm not saying that we shouldn't question some of Monk's decisions, he'll make mistakes, we all do.

Give him a couple of seasons, just like we did with Karanka and he'll get us up.

Interesting to see Monk gathering so much flack from last night with people saying he doesn't know his best team etc. At 7pm last night everyone was creaming over the starting line up saying it was the best in the league.

Maybe, just maybe, the players need to shoulder some of the blame sometimes for underperforming?

Also starting to see a familiar scapegoat in Howson. I can think of many players that played worse than him last night including Johnson, Fabio, definitely Baker, even Clayton didn't do much of note but no-one dares criticise him.

All in all I agree with the likes of BWS and Snowblind in that theres a much bigger picture. I think everyone took Gibson's 'we're gonna smash the league' comments to the nth degree, and now we get this reaction every time we don't steam roller a team.

We had a real poor patch October time in our promotion season, and still rallied and went up (with a further blip in Feb/March).

Get behind the team, stop moaning about the manager because he's going nowhere and Karanka isn't coming back.

UTB.

Yes.

I think that Monk is capable of getting us promoted, I don't think it will be this season though, he's still learning as a manager and probably needs an experienced assistant to work alongside him.

Monk needs to find the right formation and stick to it for a run of games, drill the players to play a certain way and over time the team will improve.

Being viewed as promotion favourites was always going to make life more difficult, it means that teams raise their game against us and probably put in more preparation than they would against "lesser" teams. It's also lead to huge expectations a***st the majority of fans (and maybe players too) this just increases the pressure.

Give Monk some time and he'll get us up, as Jimmy said, like him or not, he's going nowhere, Gibbo doesn't sack managers after 1 season, that's just not his way, I'm not saying that we shouldn't question some of Monk's decisions, he'll make mistakes, we all do.

Give him a couple of seasons, just like we did with Karanka and he'll get us up.

If that's the case we've appointed the wrong manager, the aim this season was promotion there's no excuses.

Can we afford to wait a couple of seasons? I'm not sure we'll hang on to our better players next season if we don't have premier league football.

Recent history tells you that relegated teams need to bounce straight back up otherwise they go backwards.

Whatever most of us think of Ramirez as a person, we have yet to replace him, a quality midfielder and left back should be priority in January.

We have players with pace in our squad but move the ball forward at pedestrian pace bloody annoying.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Shotton in on Saturday.

That's as maybe, Duvel, I would probably agree, I wasn't keen on Monk either. Now he's here we need to give him time.

I think we can afford to wait another season if we have to, possibly not 2, but none of our players are likely to be snapped up by premier league teams, barring Gibson. We gave AK time, we have to give Monk time too.

UTB.

Yes.

Can always rely on Billy to put it much better than me! Well said.

That's as maybe, Duvel, I would probably agree, I wasn't keen on Monk either. Now he's here we need to give him time.

I think we can afford to wait another season if we have to, possibly not 2, but none of our players are likely to be snapped up by premier league teams, barring Gibson. We gave AK time, we have to give Monk time too.

Karanka took over the club when we looked like we were going down, he was afforded time because he immediately improved us.

Players like Gibson, Friend and Ayala improved hugely under AK and we started to make progress without initially spending lots of money.

This is a completely different situation, Monk has taken over a squad which included Dimi, Fabio, Ayala, Fry, Gibson, Friend, Traore, Leadbitter, Clayton, Forshaw, Downing, Bamford and Gestede. Some of those players look like theyre getting worse under Monk. He's also had 40m to spend to add to that group of players.

Anything less than promotion this season is failure, there should be no excuse Monk knew the circumstances when he came here. I'd say he is one of the luckiest managers in the country to be given such fantastic resources to do his job.

I'm not saying sack Monk now but if we start to lose pace with the playoff teams I'd be seriously considering whether we've appointed the right man.

Karanka did more with less. Monk has a lot of work to do to convince me that he's the right man for the job, as Humpty said he's been given a team of championship galacticos but doesn't seem to know what to do. Worrying.

Fair enough. Hypothetically then, who would you want managing our galacticos?

I don't know to be honest Jimmy, I didn't really know who I wanted before Monk was hired and I wasn't sure on him when we hired him.

What I do know is that our plan b shouldn't be to just throw £40m worth of strikers up front and hope that something happens. I know that we shouldn't be bringing on the footballing equivalent of bambi on ice (Fletcher) over one of our best players in the last 5 years (Bamford), we shouldnt be taking off the only player who was looking like creating anything (Traore) for another striker then continuing to play down the wings. There are fundamental things that I'm seeing every game that aren't improving or changing, which falls squarely at Monks door.