oneBoro Forum

Boro v Barnsley (A) 2-2 (Braithwaite, Assombalonga)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Karanka wasn't a good manager but ill tell you what Karanka did have a plan, which he stuck too like glue so everybody (love or hate it) understood the plan thats the difference between monk and karanka. Monk doesn't know to get his plan to work yet with the players he has. I reckon monk wont be allowed by the fans time they'll lose patience because of the money spent whereas Karanka had the time because of the lack of expectation when he took over. My gut tells me Gibson will give me Monk to 10 games into next season or so to get it right and alot of the fans will drift away out of frustration but they both have the long term plan in mind whereas the fans have the short term plan in mind. I actually dont think Monk is bothered about the back 4 that much i reckon the strategy is going to be to outscore the opposition week in week out, which will be exciting be like a poor mans man city but not sure effective only time will tell.

This is my biggest issue with Monk. I don't want Karanka back, he's gone and regardless of my thoughts on what happened with him, he won't be coming back. However, regardless of if you hated or loved Karanka and his style you knew what his style was, from day one it was clear as day what he wanted to do and we saw steady year by year progress resulting in premier league football. There was rocky patches at times including the 11 game run without scoring but the blueprint never changed. If Monk had laid out his blueprint at the start of the season and was just tinkering to try and find the perfect lineup/personnel in that system I could afford him more time, but it genuinely appears as if he's just trying everything and hoping that at some point he'll stumble across the winning formula. At the moment we are stumbling through games and getting ok results because of the sheer quality of some of our players for this division, not because we're carrying out some genius plan or even really looking like much of a team.

Yeah good point Will.

Be interesting to see whether Leeds or Swansea fans thought that he had a specific system that he stuck to? At time time of appointment I could have sworn one of the criticisms of Monk from Leeds fans especially, was that he was too rigid to his system, with no Plan B. Doesn't seem to be the case at all, as is evident so far, he's played too many systems and doesn't seem to know entirely which one works.

every time we dont win is there going to be a karanka love in ffs. silly comments about him, dont really understand why he's even mentioned. even sanddancer agrees karanka was finished and had to go. :D

I'm putting 20 on us to win the next game, this is the start of a winning run i'm telling you i can feel it. we are on the cusp of getting our *** together.

Take away the opening 10 minutes and shaky defending and yesterday was a winning performance. That is a step in the right direction. We need a win, for sure. But after the last 2 games, it was good just to see us dominate. Which we did. We had two thirds of the possession for the entire game. Barnsley managing two good chances out of our mistakes in the entirety of the 2nd half does not an end-to-end game make. Barring those two chances, we limited them to long range efforts safely gathered by Randolph and that entirely played into our hands, giving us the ball back and allowing us to play again.

We actually passed the ball intelligently in Barnsley's half and not one of our players from midfield onwards had less than an 87% pass success throughout the game. Compare that to the Brentford game where only 2 of our players in the front 6 had 80% or more, (Johnson had 40% in that game, abysmal). We passed the ball much more than we did against Brentford and saw the benefit in it. We had nearly 3 times as many efforts on goal too, twice the number on target. The numbers back up the idea that it was a dominant display. For those using the 'always passing it backwards' line too, Clayton and Leadbitter put together yesterday played more than 60% of their passes forward.

Karanka wasn't a good manager but ill tell you what Karanka did have a plan, which he stuck too like glue so everybody (love or hate it) understood the plan thats the difference between monk and karanka. Monk doesn't know to get his plan to work yet with the players he has. I reckon monk wont be allowed by the fans time they'll lose patience because of the money spent whereas Karanka had the time because of the lack of expectation when he took over. My gut tells me Gibson will give me Monk to 10 games into next season or so to get it right and alot of the fans will drift away out of frustration but they both have the long term plan in mind whereas the fans have the short term plan in mind. I actually dont think Monk is bothered about the back 4 that much i reckon the strategy is going to be to outscore the opposition week in week out, which will be exciting be like a poor mans man city but not sure effective only time will tell.

This is my biggest issue with Monk. I don't want Karanka back, he's gone and regardless of my thoughts on what happened with him, he won't be coming back. However, regardless of if you hated or loved Karanka and his style you knew what his style was, from day one it was clear as day what he wanted to do and we saw steady year by year progress resulting in premier league football. There was rocky patches at times including the 11 game run without scoring but the blueprint never changed. If Monk had laid out his blueprint at the start of the season and was just tinkering to try and find the perfect lineup/personnel in that system I could afford him more time, but it genuinely appears as if he's just trying everything and hoping that at some point he'll stumble across the winning formula. At the moment we are stumbling through games and getting ok results because of the sheer quality of some of our players for this division, not because we're carrying out some genius plan or even really looking like much of a team.

Karanka was a great defensive coach, but I don't think he was a great manager.

Contrary to what you think Will.... I didn't hate Karanka. (I know you think I do/did). However, I hated his style of football. I'd had enough of it by 'The Charlton' weekend.

On reflection I think we held on to AK for a season too long.... although I admit, that once we got promoted, I actually thought that maybe AK's tactics would work in the PL.

Personally I'm actually still enjoying the fact that we're not playing that same old way any more... and I'm enjoying a fresh approach.

HOWEVER, I do agree that at the moment we're far less organised, seem to have less direction, and don't seem to have add much of a plan......(so I can see why some folk find that somewhat bothersome)!!

Take away the opening 10 minutes and shaky defending and yesterday was a winning performance. That is a step in the right direction. We need a win, for sure. But after the last 2 games, it was good just to see us dominate. Which we did. We had two thirds of the possession for the entire game. Barnsley managing two good chances out of our mistakes in the entirety of the 2nd half does not an end-to-end game make. Barring those two chances, we limited them to long range efforts safely gathered by Randolph and that entirely played into our hands, giving us the ball back and allowing us to play again.

We actually passed the ball intelligently in Barnsley's half and not one of our players from midfield onwards had less than an 87% pass success throughout the game. Compare that to the Brentford game where only 2 of our players in the front 6 had 80% or more, (Johnson had 40% in that game, abysmal). We passed the ball much more than we did against Brentford and saw the benefit in it. We had nearly 3 times as many efforts on goal too, twice the number on target. The numbers back up the idea that it was a dominant display. For those using the 'always passing it backwards' line too, Clayton and Leadbitter put together yesterday played more than 60% of their passes forward.

Did we dominate? I think possession stats can be misleading, you could argue that Barnsley sat off us in the second half and allowed us the ball while they defended their lead.

When we made it two all they immediately went back up the other end and had a couple of chances and hit the post.

We might have had more possession but we certainly didn't control the game yesterday.

Monk will always be compared to Karanka because he's the next manager.

The following manager will be compared to Monk and so on...

It's hardly a new phenomenon.

I think it's more than that. It's more like the SAF effect at Manchester United. (But on a much smaller scale).

Monk will always be compared to Karanka because he's the next manager.

The following manager will be compared to Monk and so on...

It's hardly a new phenomenon.

I think it's more than that. It's more like the SAF effect at Manchester United. (But on a much smaller scale).

Possibly, regardless it is still understandable as he is the last direct comparison we have to compare Monk with.

Well it shows how low we have now set the bar when we class Karanka as a good manager. It’s also a statement about Monk capability, but lets face it, SG has appointed some shear dross. I may be clocking on a bit but my memory is fresh enough to remember being repeatedly hammered week after week, playing the same stagnant formation. I can recall criticism of anyone but himself and the politics he openly aired. As for Monk, at start of the season I stated something on the lines, 4-6 games in we would have a good indication of where we would be heading. I got absolutely slaughtered. The reason I made the statement is I doubted Monks capability. Also in a short period of time you can see and feel when someone is a good leader because it amplifies to those around and eventually proven by statistics. Monk has been lucky due to international breaks to sort out tactics. If this is the results of Monks improvement then I can only imagine he was indicating sitting bottem without them. The gelling period has long gone, still don’t get whet the hell gelling is, or needed, and I don’t belive anyone in the league is worried about this team. We started with a big team tag, well that’s about to be lost shortly, so if no improvement is made very quickly the advantage is lost.

Out of interest who was the last manager we had that you rated

Did we dominate? I think possession stats can be misleading, you could argue that Barnsley sat off us in the second half and allowed us the ball while they defended their lead.

When we made it two all they immediately went back up the other end and had a couple of chances and hit the post.

We might have had more possession but we certainly didn't control the game yesterday.

For sure, they can be. But they're not this time, yes we absolutely did dominate. Barnsley sitting off and allowing us possession is true but that surely just emphasises the point, it doesn't detract from it. :huh:

We had just as many chances to score after we scored as we did before, so the dominance absolutely continued throughout. Fletcher and Fabio alone could have made us more than comfortable.

We were much the better side and barring an own goal and yet another goal made from our own mistakes (a poor pass out by Ayala and nobody even trying to win the ball from the cross), we had the better chances in the game and they were forged out of us playing, they weren't forged from mistakes in the Barnsley back line. Both our goals were well-worked passages of play. Christie's long-throw & Ayala's flick on for Braithwaite's finish, Downing's immense through ball for Britt's goal.

I don't understand how anyone can look at the game beyond the 10 minute mark and say we didn't dominate. The stats don't simply suggest that, they back it up.