oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff City 0-1

If Gibson is still scarred by the ‘foreign invasion’ of last season and insists on being a xenophobe it will severely limit our options. I said before the season that Monk would have not got the job if he was foreign and I still maintain that. So if we are looking at British managers then I would like to avoid the usual suspects as listed by Rich above. That doesn’t leave many options. So I’d suggest Graham Potter. I guess it depends on if Gibson is willing to go foreign again, because there are promising coaches in the continent.

Gibson was nervous to appoint the German guy after McLaren he finally made the jump with karanka and his worst nightmares in the shape of filling the team and backroom staff with foreign personnel who then divided into different clicks. It may well take a while until he goes back to a foreign manager

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions are divide with regard to Monk but he won't be going anywhere soon its not Steve Gibson's way.

Defence we haven't kept a clean sheet in 6 games, and I honestly believe that Ben Gibson has his mind elsewhere, Gibbo's not giving any less than 100% but for me the focus and concentration isn't there, head and shoulders above any CB in this league on form.

Midfield we have no one who's capable of taking the ball and driving forward its a major problem.

1st half long ball game ball going to the opposition keeper or out for a goal kick time and time again pathetic tactics awful and boring to watch.

The movement from the forwards there isn't any, because they haven't got a clue who's supposed to be doing what.

We looked like a team who were playing their 1st game together its a mess and SG definitely needs to have a quiet word in Mr Monk's ear it needs sorting now and some of our buy's look like money down the drain.o

I don't think that getting a foreign manager in necessarily means that there will be cliques and divides mind. All the top teams in the Prem have a foreign manager and doesn't seem to be doing them much damage.

Who knows what caused the cliques and divides last year. Was it due to AK? Was it due to Victor Orta and his potential favouritism of the Spaniards? Or was it due to the English players, did they not make enough effort to incorporate these players and integrate them?

Either way, its all conjecture.

I don't think Gibson's stupid enough to think that he won't consider getting another non-English manager in again. The problem lies within uncertainty. Silva and Wagner have obviously worked out really well, but I suppose with an established coach from this league you know what you're getting (Monk not a case in point), and there is quite a risk with plucking an unknown foreign manager and bringing him in, even know it has worked and will continue to work.

Fletcher - 7/10 His effort is good, ok it doesn't always come off but he still can learn alot i reckon.

Like how to trap a ball, play a pass, take a chance, make a run, hold up play, whip a ball in and challenge a header?

I was actually referring to trapping a ball and been stronger in the air also when he has the ball at his feet. In terms of making a run i dont know what you were seeing the last 2 home games but he moved more than most players out their when we had the ball (no movement from most of them stood like statues) and for me that passing comment is harsh their was tons of bad passing out their today it wasnt just him. I actually think in terms of whipping a ball yes he could learn that but hes got a bit of pace about him you could have him running at the defender from the wing as well not all about crossing, i mean think about it they had big cbs so how many crosses worked today? considering how many we put in

"i dont know what you were seeing the last 2 home games but he moved more than most players out their when we had the ball"

How many cutting runs in behind did he make in this time? He had over an hour on the pitch yesterday, and he only made one that I can remember where the pass was played in and he committed a foul in the build up to it. Compare that to Bamford's movement when he came on and the difference in quality was obvious. We controlled the game for the first time as his movement pinned them back (until Downing came off and we lost the midfield).

"i mean think about it they had big cbs so how many crosses worked today? considering how many we put in"

Not many crosses worked yesterday, but I'm a firm believer that generally crosses are more dangerous if they go into the box rather than balloned 20 yards over the bar or trickled out of play near post, which is what Fletcher did.

Opinions are divide with regard to Monk but he won't be going anywhere soon its not Steve Gibson's way.

Defence we haven't kept a clean sheet in 6 games, and I honestly believe that Ben Gibson has his mind elsewhere, Gibbo's not giving any less than 100% but for me the focus and concentration isn't there, head and shoulders above any CB in this league on form.

Midfield we have no one who's capable of taking the ball and driving forward its a major problem.

1st half long ball game ball going to the opposition keeper or out for a goal kick time and time again pathetic tactics awful and boring to watch.

The movement from the forwards there isn't any, because they haven't got a clue who's supposed to be doing what.

We looked like a team who were playing their 1st game together its a mess and SG definitely needs to have a quiet word in Mr Monk's ear it needs sorting now and some of our buy's look like money down the drain.o

Just because Gibson usually gives managers time it doesn't mean Monk's job is safe. This season is different to others because Monk was given the objective of getting us up first time, you don't spend 50 odd million on a two year project.

Most of the successful managers these days tend to be foreign. If Gibbo refuses to appoint a manager due to his nationality then I seriously despair. Apart from it being narrow minded it’s also illegal to not employ someone due to their country of birth.

The 2 managers that I mentioned are young progressive managers that are both doing well in the Spanish second division, there are many others around the world that are thriving, let’s not kid ourselves that there are no options out there, it’s down to Gibbo to find the right one.

I don't think that getting a foreign manager in necessarily means that there will be cliques and divides mind. All the top teams in the Prem have a foreign manager and doesn't seem to be doing them much damage.

Who knows what caused the cliques and divides last year. Was it due to AK? Was it due to Victor Orta and his potential favouritism of the Spaniards? Or was it due to the English players, did they not make enough effort to incorporate these players and integrate them?

Either way, its all conjecture.

I don't think Gibson's stupid enough to think that he won't consider getting another non-English manager in again. The problem lies within uncertainty. Silva and Wagner have obviously worked out really well, but I suppose with an established coach from this league you know what you're getting (Monk not a case in point), and there is quite a risk with plucking an unknown foreign manager and bringing him in, even know it has worked and will continue to work.

Exactly right it doesn't have to be a divided dressing room with a foreign manager it just has to be managed well. I certainly wouldn't rule out a foreign appointment.

From what I was told last season we had a split (unsurprisingly)between the British and Spanish speaking players, there's nothing wrong with buying foreign players but it usually works better when you have a blend of nationalities as there's less chance of a divide. Having 10+ Spanish speakers in the club was always gonna make things difficult.

This board has enough trouble handling the differing opinions of those that are still here. Adding CT into that mix would make post-match unbearable. A realist he may have been but his delivery always felt discriminative of the intellect of other members and drove me off here at least twice.

If the club the decided to make the change I don't think they'd be short of applications and probably have a fairly recent wish list of names. Besides challenging for promotion, Gibson's ideal candidate was a British manager with experience in the Championship tasked with changing the culture that had apparently emerged in the latter stages of AKs reign, rebuild the void of ill feeling that had split squad and management. It's unlikely that that remit would have changed in a few months and given that the squad has been rebuilt vastly with domestic players, it would be impossible now to bring in a foreign manager with licence to do a large scale foreign import like AK did and Nuno has done at Wolves. It would have to be someone who is willing to come in and work with what we have, which isn't an unattractive proposition, but would add to the challenges of a manager coming to a new league. That does limit us somewhat, there aren't really any outstanding candidates in or out of work, Pardew, Pearson and Moyes have experience in the division but aren't inspiring. Apart from that you have to start looking down the leagues for someone who's done a decent job, Karl Robinson, Danny Cowley, Paul Tisdale? Again no one jumps out.

I stuck by Karanka through some tough spells and runs because I never felt the wheels were off and we had a pattern he'd coached us into whether you liked it or not I only started doubting Karanka after Everton away last year but the scattershot stuff I've seen so far this season has given me no confidence even games we managed to pull through like QPR/SUFC we looked vulnerable as hell I know he made an error a couple of weeks ago but Fry/Gibson duo saved us so many times and Randolph.

Monk tried 433 with 3 strikers, then went to a 4231/442 type and now it depends what he wants to try on the day and if he fancies giving Adama a runout. We started the season vs Wolves giving up the ball and sitting in trying to play direct and lately we're splitting CBs like we're Barcelona and leaving forwards out wide I know they've gotten stick but I find it very hard to give Fabio/Christie stick they have 0 protection and get doubled up on like Jameson in her prime every single game with no change.

I don't want to say we need to ditch Monk on the 22nd of October but he has shown no growth over the past 2 months if anything game by game we are getting worse we have a depth of personnel we have a core of very good very experienced 'British' players that any manager could work with (See Brighton Bournemouth Burnley Newcastle) and yet the players turn up like we're having a little kickabout and what are all these little teams doing they should be lying at our 40 million pound strikeforces feet. Gestede's run in the team masked more problems than I thought at least with him the players just clipped it up and ran on the flick ons now we're Barcelona at the back four, Leicester in the midfield and same old Middlesbrough up front despite the 40 million pound strikeforce. I'm not foaming at the mouth for Monk to go I just think the best thing for our season is a change right now Monk's had international breaks and 16 competitive games to fix the issues from day one there's nothing I can see out there where I can say he needs more time. Maybe he needs more time to turn Fletcher into a winger and Adama into a two trick pony.I'm not sure what exactly he's trying we're going round in the same cycles with him next game he'll do 2-3 changes tinker the formation back to one he tried last month and that's all I can see changing right now.

If the club the decided to make the change I don't think they'd be short of applications and probably have a fairly recent wish list of names. Besides challenging for promotion, Gibson's ideal candidate was a British manager with experience in the Championship tasked with changing the culture that had apparently emerged in the latter stages of AKs reign, rebuild the void of ill feeling that had split squad and management. It's unlikely that that remit would have changed in a few months and given that the squad has been rebuilt vastly with domestic players, it would be impossible now to bring in a foreign manager with licence to do a large scale foreign import like AK did and Nuno has done at Wolves. It would have to be someone who is willing to come in and work with what we have, which isn't an unattractive proposition, but would add to the challenges of a manager coming to a new league. That does limit us somewhat, there aren't really any outstanding candidates in or out of work, Pardew, Pearson and Moyes have experience in the division but aren't inspiring. Apart from that you have to start looking down the leagues for someone who's done a decent job, Karl Robinson, Danny Cowley, Paul Tisdale? Again no one jumps out.

I totally disagree, I’m certain that the nationality of the manager would have very little effect on how well he could manage s team of mostly British based, but it does raise another question.

Why on earth did the club recruit so many UK based players? Our national teams are rubbish and you have to pay over the odds for British players. Is Gibbo worried about the effect of brexit? Will we be the only club that still has a squad of players post brexit? Was it simply a fiendish plan by Monk?

Our greatest players over the last 30 years have all been foreign why change things now?

Most of the successful managers these days tend to be foreign. If Gibbo refuses to appoint a manager due to his nationality then I seriously despair. Apart from it being narrow minded it’s also illegal to not employ someone due to their country of birth.

The 2 managers that I mentioned are young progressive managers that are both doing well in the Spanish second division, there are many others around the world that are thriving, let’s not kid ourselves that there are no options out there, it’s down to Gibbo to find the right one.

True, but good luck proving that.

True, but good luck proving that.

If he only shortlist’s and interview British candidates that would probably be fairly conclusive evidence.

He already thought he found the right one. But if people have trouble getting behind a young unproven English manager who they actually know, how are they going to get behind a young unproven Spaniard?

Not that that is the be all and end all but if you sack the manager right now and replace him with someone who the fans don't even know, it's hardly going to change a lot of people's perspectives on the future.