oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff City 0-1

Saying no foreigners on a shortlist implies illegally refusing to hire a foreigner sounds like an implication of xenophobic intentions to me.

Gibbo has brought more foreigners to England than our benefits system mate. He’s not literally xenophobic. He seems to just want to avoid international cliques. I don’t agree with only looking for British based coaching staff, I think it’s stupid. But reading between the lines that was his aim in the summer. Whether it’s still his stance I don’t know.

Mate, I'm not the one calling anything Gibson has done xenophobic. Nobody is really, but whilst Billy didn't say Gibson doesn't like foreigners, he did imply that Gibson is legally in the wrong for refusing to so much as interview someone outside our country. Surely, from a legal standpoint, that is illegal for xenophobic reasons?

I absolutely understand why Gibson has done what he's done. And I don't think he's in the wrong for doing so. That's not what my messages are about. :D

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

He already thought he found the right one. But if people have trouble getting behind a young unproven English manager who they actually know, how are they going to get behind a young unproven Spaniard?

Not that that is the be all and end all but if you sack the manager right now and replace him with someone who the fans don't even know, it's hardly going to change a lot of people's perspectives on the future.

It’s easy for a young unproven manager of any nationality to get the fans backing. All they have to do is look like they know what they are doing, look like they have an actual plan and start climbing the table.

We did it with Karanka.

Exactly right the nationality of the manager is irrelevant to the fans, all we want is the team looking organised and having some direction.

If Gibson is limiting the club to British players and a British manager he's a fool.

Of course that's true in the long run. That's not what I said. The problem some people have right now is that Monk doesn't inspire confidence in the team and people are thus unwilling to give him a chance in games where we come out of it barely ever being on top, despite the number of changes made from top to bottom in the last 4 months.

So if you then sack him and hire a new man, a man with a record only existing in the 2nd tier of another country, how long does that guy have with the fans? Say we lose our first couple of games with no progress made, how long before some start saying his appointment was the wrong call? Bear in mind the aim is still promotion, whoever comes in absolutely has to start earning those points just as quickly as Monk does right now. How many fans who currently have their twitchy fingers on the trigger reload their gun and go again? How long before the boos ring out again? I guarantee you that man won't even have as long as Monk does before some fans start calling for his head. And when he has no significant track record to fall back on, what defence does he have?

If you sack Monk at this stage of the season, the only change that makes sense is someone being brought in to make an immediate impact. Will those managers Billy mentioned do that? They don't fill me with confidence as I don't even know who they are. How many of our fans will? And how long before that lack of a name in the game comes back to bite them from the stands?

Monks aim when everyone started on zero points was automatic promotion. The new guy coming in would have his targets adjusted because we are at 12 point handicap from the top of the table. The new guys target should be the play offs. We are 5 points of 6th place however there 6 teams between us and 6th so that would be no mean feat. If that didn’t happen but the performances and points per game did improve I’m sure most of our fans would be patient. Most are not idiots. Give them some credit.

Goodness what a conversation and one which we can not confirm or deny in anyway shape or form, the sad fact is that everything about the club seems to be a crying shame as it is clear that they are not over last season.

Mentioned before we can not put all the blame on the new players because the core that got us relegated are still here and we did not address the real issues in terms of who we recruited during the transfer window.

As it stands no way are we top two material and play offs are now beginning to be "just in reach"

Fortress Riverside well that is now a fairy tale, teams know what to do when they visit our place and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that we are still down in the dumps following last season

He already thought he found the right one. But if people have trouble getting behind a young unproven English manager who they actually know, how are they going to get behind a young unproven Spaniard?

Not that that is the be all and end all but if you sack the manager right now and replace him with someone who the fans don't even know, it's hardly going to change a lot of people's perspectives on the future.

It’s easy for a young unproven manager of any nationality to get the fans backing. All they have to do is look like they know what they are doing, look like they have an actual plan and start climbing the table.

We did it with Karanka.

Exactly right the nationality of the manager is irrelevant to the fans, all we want is the team looking organised and having some direction.

If Gibson is limiting the club to British players and a British manager he's a fool.

Of course that's true in the long run. That's not what I said. The problem some people have right now is that Monk doesn't inspire confidence in the team and people are thus unwilling to give him a chance in games where we come out of it barely ever being on top, despite the number of changes made from top to bottom in the last 4 months.

So if you then sack him and hire a new man, a man with a record only existing in the 2nd tier of another country, how long does that guy have with the fans? Say we lose our first couple of games with no progress made, how long before some start saying his appointment was the wrong call? Bear in mind the aim is still promotion, whoever comes in absolutely has to start earning those points just as quickly as Monk does right now. How many fans who currently have their twitchy fingers on the trigger reload their gun and go again? How long before the boos ring out again? I guarantee you that man won't even have as long as Monk does before some fans start calling for his head. And when he has no significant track record to fall back on, what defence does he have?

If you sack Monk at this stage of the season, the only change that makes sense is someone being brought in to make an immediate impact. Will those managers Billy mentioned do that? They don't fill me with confidence as I don't even know who they are. How many of our fans will? And how long before that lack of a name in the game comes back to bite them from the stands?

If Gibson decides that Monk is not up to it he needs to decide who is the best man for the job and go with it. Whether that's Allardyce, a young Spanish manager or whoever, it just needs to be the best man available regardless of where he's coming from. It shouldn't be a consideration about whether he might lose a few games because that's just negative thinking.

Some people seem frightened of changing managers which I don't understand, if we are appointing someone else it has to be with the belief that's it's a manager who's capable of turning us round.

If you think Monk is the man fine keep him. If you don't then replace him, just don't sit there doing nothing because you are frightened of what might happen.

Out of interest, what would people do differently to what Monk is doing?

The only one for me would be to play a 4231 with the basis of our promotion season, with that spine. I'd also replace Ayala for Fry and play Bamford over Fletcher.

Apart from that, what else would people like changed? Not having a go, just interested is all

Goodness what a conversation and one which we can not confirm or deny in anyway shape or form, the sad fact is that everything about the club seems to be a crying shame as it is clear that they are not over last season.

Mentioned before we can not put all the blame on the new players because the core that got us relegated are still here and we did not address the real issues in terms of who we recruited during the transfer window.

As it stands no way are we top two material and play offs are now beginning to be "just in reach"

Fortress Riverside well that is now a fairy tale, teams know what to do when they visit our place and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that we are still down in the dumps following last season

cant say i disagree with most of those sentiments DS. 

The worry for me is, have we got rid of the problems within the club off the field. it seemed to me that the immediate culling and identifying where the seemingly obvious protagonists were was going in the right direction  be it  board identified or Monk , and i for one felt we were moving positively pre season in that respect but didnt finish the job and left too many loose ends especially the Agnew situation .  Since the opening weeks of this season we seem to have pressed the self destruct button in matters off and on the pitch  ...the gazette fiasco being a glaring example . I think any new manager at this stage would still have unresolved background issues hampering his chances .

Having said all that i am majorly unimpressed with how Monk is progressing/regressing. its getting more and more unlikely that he either knows how or can get the team into a cohesive unit let alone start playing to thier potential. It looks like he got away with it with his previous jobs.

Not sure what you mean by this, you've said it a few times and I still can't really work out who you mean. Who's playing regularly who was here last season?

Gibson

Ayala

Clayton

Leadbitter

Downing

Traore

Bamford

Gestede

Friend

Fabio

We were all delighted having kept Gibson, and Traore to a degree.

Gestede, Bamford, Leadbitter and Ayala all barely played last season, and are all Championship proven.

Downing has been decent when he's played this season.

Both of the left backs are hardly players to be concerned about.

So who is the 'real issue'? Clayton? Because if that's the case we signed both Howson and Baker who can play there.

And if it's Traore, surely that is the end of the pitch where we've done most of our investing?

I really don't think we recruited badly. I'd have probably looked for a creative No.10 instead of Fletcher, but aside from that, I think we signed pretty well.

It's just a shame Monk can't seem to get them playing with any cohesion.

Opinions are divide with regard to Monk but he won't be going anywhere soon its not Steve Gibson's way.

Defence we  haven't kept a  clean sheet in 6 games, and  I honestly believe that Ben Gibson has his mind elsewhere, Gibbo's not giving any less than 100% but for me the focus and concentration isn't there, head and shoulders above any CB in this league on form.

Midfield we have no one who's capable of taking the ball and driving forward its a major problem.

1st half long ball game ball going to the opposition keeper or out for a goal kick time and time again pathetic tactics awful and boring to watch.

The movement from the forwards there isn't any, because they haven't got a clue who's supposed to be doing what.

We looked like a team who were playing their 1st game together its a mess and SG definitely needs to have a quiet word in Mr Monk's ear it needs sorting now and some of our buy's look like money down the drain.o

Just because Gibson usually gives managers time it doesn't mean Monk's job is safe. This season is different to others because Monk was given the objective of getting us up first time, you don't spend 50 odd million on a two year project.

I just don't see Gibson sacking Monk this early in the season despite the rubbish we're watching at the moment, Gibson will give Monk time and if he can't get it right then he's got to go but I don't see it for a good while yet. A lot of restlessness a*** the Boro fans yesterday heated arguments in the Comcast with regard to Monk and performance.

How about José Luis Oltra or Diego Martinez Penas?

You want to employ a bloke called penas

Can just hear the chants now...

"We love you Penas, we do...we love you Penas, we do...we love you Penas, we do...oh Penas we love you..."

:D 

For the record, I think its pronounced "pen-yas". ;)

Like I've said before, Strachan got a year. Surely that in itself is enough to see why Gibson probably won't sack Monk so soon.

I don't think Gibson has got where he is in life without learning from his mistakes and being ruthless when the time is right.

Maybe he'll think in hindsight he should have given Strachan the push earlier?

I remember people being convinced that Strachan wouldn't be sacked after a year because Gibson 'gives his managers time'.