oneBoro Forum

Boro v Reading (a) 2-0 (Leadbitter (pen) Assombalonga)

BeardySmog Matchday Solutions

Presents

Reading vs Middlesbrough

Kick Off - 3pm

The Madejski Stadium

28th October 2017

Intro

Well it's safe to say I wasn't expecting to be doing another match day thread so soon, but then again is safe to say we weren't all expecting to be in this position at this point in the season. Its hard to get excited about the Boro at the moment.. So I won't. Just praying for a positive result.

Last Game

Bournemouth 3-1 BORO (Carabao Cup)

We lost.

Sheff Utd 2-1 Reading

They lost too.

Oh.. He used to play for us...

There isn't anyone. Chris Gunter almost signed for us this summer.. Best I could do.

Beard Watch

A quick look at their squad pictures show me that the best Reading beard is also the worst. Stephen Quinn. Ginger beard.

The tip of the Beard

Reading 11/5

Draw 21/10

Middlesbrough 11/8

The bookies can't really split us, but the way things are going you'd best stick your house on Reading.

My tip is reading to win and over 2.5 goals to be scored in the match @ 5/1

Pre Match Questions

Is everyone as deflated as I am?

Can we actually win this?

Does Tavernier deserve a start?

How long would you give Monk?

Prediction

I'm usually an optimist but I am seriously struggling to predict anything but a Reading win. 2-1 Aluko and Gunter with Braithwaite grabbing a consolation.

Apologies for the poor quality of the thread.. I'm on my phone and I am struggling to muster any sort of passion for the Boro.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha fair enough mate! Can't see a Boro win unfortunately but I'm still going to tune in with the (blind) optimism that this games the game where our fortunes change! Here's hoping!

I think most are pretty deflated by the start. Bournemouth doesn't change much though.

I think we can and we undoubtedly should. We haven't lost to any of the teams below us in the table, that would change if Reading beat us on Saturday. They're struggling themselves, as mentioned in the other thread they've only won 1 game at home all season. Away from the pressure of the Riverside crowd, I think this could be the turning point. More likely that it must be though.

Tavernier starts for me. We just played a Premier League team and he came out shining, along with Traore. It's one thing to drop Dael Fry after a single mistake following a good run of games, it would be another to leave out Tavernier and Traore after that game. Traore is a more difficult decision with Downing playing so well at the moment but I think if we want to start quick and keep them on the back foot, Traore has to start. I'd even consider dropping Britt and playing Braithwaite up top.

I'd give him a lot longer than most. I don't think sacking him solves anything. I'm not aware of any managers available who could come in and immediately do a better job than him. If the players are fine with him being in charge then so am I... for now.

Traore and Tav have to start. If it's a meritocracy as we keep getting shoved down our throats, then they will. I'd like Fry back as I don't think Ayala is going to play himself into form.

Im just gonna jump in with what id start with -

.........................Randolph.........................

Christie/Roberts.,.Fry...Gibson...............Fabio

..................Leadbitter..Clayton.................

Traore,,,,,...........Braithwaite.............Tavernier

.............................Britt.......................................

For me you tell Troare you cant enter our box under any circumstances and you are the one that stays up for corners. Roberts and Christie im not 100% bothered who gets the spot they are both playing well for me and both deserve a shout. For the record i dont think monk will start with this.

Is everyone as deflated as I am? Yes

Can we actually win this? Yes, if we dont give any sloppy goals away and Ayala doesn't boot it out of play at every chance he gets.

Does Tavernier deserve a start? Yes but i dont think he will get it.

How long would you give Monk? - Doesnt matter Gibson will let him keep till the end of the season as long as no threat of relegation.

Is everyone as deflated as I am? It's exhausting being a Boro fan, but as Milky says in This Is England, "the good times will come again".

Can we actually win this? If we play as a team rather than a bunch of individuals then maybe sneak a 1-0. Or if any referee actually likes us and we get lucky.

Does Tavernier deserve a start? Don't think he'll get in ahead of Downing but would like to see him on the bench at least.

How long would you give Monk? Hate being one of those teams who fires their manager so early when things aren't going perfect. But it's looking grim. I think he'll be here still in December.

Randolph; Christie, Fry, Gibson, Fabio; Leadbitter, Howson; Traore, Braithwaite, Downing; Britt

Subs: Dimi, Friend, Ayala, Clayton, Tavernier, Baker, Bamford

Is everyone as deflated as I am?

- Yes, my early season enthusiasm is well and truly gone. Didn't look forward to the Barnsley or Cardiff games, had a bad feeling about both. Don't feel confident at all about Reading either, but will be there nonetheless.

Can we actually win this?

- Of course. Whoever score first wins this one I reckon. Going on current form however that is likely not to be us.

Does Tavernier deserve a start?

- He deserves a spot on the bench for sure.

How long would you give Monk?

- For me, if we don't beat Reading or Hull (a very distinct possibility) and then lose at home to Sunderland then his position starts to become untenable. A couple of wins in the next three will nudge us back towards top six and he'll buy time.

I would go with this

Randolph; Christie, Ayala, Gibson, Friend; Clayton, Howson; Traore, Braithwaite, Downing; Britt

Subs: Dimi, Fabio, Shotton, Leadbitter , Tavernier, Baker, Bamford

Ayala is a player who has always needed a few games to get up to speed so we have to be patient and give him the games in my opinion. I thought dropping Fry was harsh to be honest but I think last night's game means he will be out.

Agree Tavernier is one of the few rays of light but the league is too important for him to start and it would be harsh in the extreme to drop Downing after he has been our best player of late.

I would accept anything other than a defeat but hoping for a tight win

My team would be;

------------------ Randolph ------------------

Christie ---- Fry ----- Gibson ----- Fabio

-------- Leadbitter ---- Howson -----------

Traore ------ Braithwaite ------- Downing

------------------- Britt ---------------------

RW the most difficult position for me, Traore has potential to own the position but his inconsistency gets on my nerves. Fletcher has been gash, and Bamford doesn't suite that position for me.

Howson instead of Clayton for me, thought him and Leadbitter worked well against Cardiff. I think we need Leadbitter to lead the team, he's a good leader.

Downing to retain his spot. Played well against Cardiff.

If we changed to a fluid front 3 like the start of the season then Bamford would come in for me.

I would go with this

Randolph; Christie, Ayala, Gibson, Friend; Clayton, Howson; Traore, Braithwaite, Downing; Britt

Ayala is a player who has always needed a few games to get up to speed so we have to be patient and give him the games in my opinion. I thought dropping Fry was harsh to be honest but I think last night's game means he will be out.

Agree Tavernier is one of the few rays of light but the league is too important for him to start and it would be harsh in the extreme to drop Downing after he has been our best player of late.

I'd go with this but leadbitter for clayton. I'm feeling a lot more posetive about sat than I was before last night ....now over to the boro to bring me down to earth

I would go with this

Why have you dropped Fabio? Bizarre.

If you can get Downing, Traore and Tavernier in the same team, I'd say do it. He's earned his place, been one of the best players for us in all 3 rounds we played in the Cup. If he can pull it off against Adam Smith, he can do it against Chris Gunter.