oneBoro Forum

Boro v Hull City (a) 3-1 (Braithwaite, Assombalonga, Leadbitter (pen) )

How could Bamford show his best over the last two seasons with the team being what it has, disjointed. There is not a player that can hold there heads up over the past two seasons so I can’t buy into how you can judge one player. Fletcher verses Bamford is a harder one but neither have played long enough in a settled side to be judged. I have a soft spot for Bamford but feel he is one of the lost souls within the squad. When I say lost souls I mean those that were basicaly told there was no future, being you don’t figure in my plans.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

When Bamford plays i like him he for me is a really good player always capable of getting a goal or creating one however dyche, karanka (during the second spell), Pardew, Alex Neil,Agnew and now Monk were reluctant to play him. You got to ask why and im sure the answer has got to be either that hes lazy on the training pitch or hes got a attitude problem and i really want to know which one it is.

When Bamford plays i like him he for me is a really good player always capable of getting a goal or creating one however dyche, karanka (during the second spell), Pardew, Alex Neil,Agnew and now Monk were reluctant to play him. You got to ask why and im sure the answer has got to be either that hes lazy on the training pitch or hes got a attitude problem and i really want to know which one it is.

when first here i thought when he played wide right he was lazy tracking back and didnt like him there tbh (in AK's system) hes a cf/forward not a midfielder like downing for example who will drop deep in his own half of the pitch.

when upfront he can be static in certain situations. he has a few limitations at cf. i've never seen him do much or look comfortable with his back to goal. he is decent on the air but never strong enough to win battles with the bigger guys playing cb. so he will always be behind britt.

i feel playing off a cf in a two up front or a right forward would suit his strong points better. we saw a few glimpse's of him and negredo that looked promising even at prem level. he's best with the ball facing goal, making clever runs in behind, linking up and being direct and positive. if he was quicker and stronger he'd be a premier league player, just doesn't have enough attributes to convince them managers to play him first choice atm.

what about downing anyway. cant believe how much better he's looking. he has not done that much more in reality, but he looks far better and actually looks like a senior pro. on that right side he seems to be almost dictating play at times. his passing long and short has improved he looks like he wants the ball again. he's got his head up looks happy. i think our stewy might end up returning to being the one we loved.

thing with him is, because he's a local lad, if he's shiite he'll get more abuse than most, but if he's good he'll be overly praised to. he started looking better and everyone talking about it straightaway and praised him. even though he is on 40k or whatever a week and he bloody well should be good lol

I think if monk is split 50/50 on Bamford and Fletcher, then he’s going to go with the player he paid £7m for.

Well dident Bamford cost 6m?

He didn't cost Monk 6m. He was already at the club before Monk arrived

I am aare of that, jut pointed out that Bamford was not cheap, and we are not likely to get that money back at this rate

Fair point. I can't disagree with that

If fletcher flops monk wasted £7m

If bamford flops the club wasted £6m

Well dident Bamford cost 6m?

He didn't cost Monk 6m. He was already at the club before Monk arrived

I am aare of that, jut pointed out that Bamford was not cheap, and we are not likely to get that money back at this rate

Fair point. I can't disagree with that

If fletcher flops monk wasted £7m

If bamford flops the club wasted £6m

The Fletcher deal is 7 million all included, bonusses, appearances etc. I'm fairly confident we didn't just pay West Ham 7 million. Likewise I seem to remember that the total deal for Bamford was closer to 10 million if all clauses are met. Nevertheless their transfers are pretty similar. We paid money for Bamford to reach his former highs and money for Fletcher to improve. Fletcher is probably the biggest gamble considering Bamford has already shown what he can do in the Championship but so far Fletcher has proven to be a bigger succes and is two years behind Bamford in his development.

Bamford was dropped by AK for a short period due to being lazy in training. There's been whispers of the same about him this season. For me, the Bamford we've signed for £6m isn't the same player we had on loan back in our promotion campaign. There's almost a 'sense of entitlement' about him now - the sense that he feels he should be playing regardless of his performances / effort in training.

I'm not saying 'that's that' though - the lad is still young enough, and likely hungry enough, to get himself back into that battling mode. But, for me, the effort just hasn't been there from him. Fletcher has many faults, but his work rate certainly isn't one of them - and it's that workrate which has seen him contribute more than Paddy this season.

Already stated my opinion regarding PB comparing him to Ayala, Downing and Leadbitter, a run of games will probably bring him on and let's be honest all we want is him to score goals but as already mentioned he would have to be in Britts position and that will not happen until injuires, suspensions come into play.

I also feel he has never fully recovered from his injury the first time he was with us and as alluded to maybe his best days ARE behind him

A lot of assumptions are being made about Bamford's so called attitude problems.

I agree with you but I get the feeling he is a very frustrated individual and that can often cause a negative reaction when given the chance adding personal pressure onto someone showing a lack of confidence.

It must be a strange feeling for a professional footballer hoping to get a call up for the match day team and actually starting the game when all is not going well :-/

Talk about stating the obvious Jim..!!

I want to know what he see's because, as a professional footballer he should be embarrassed by that Cardiff performance. To be frank his previous performances have not been much better. I'm just bewildered by it all. It makes me wonder whether Monk had a bit more of a vested interest in this transfer.

Interesting, what sort of vested interest do you think he may have had?

Nothing more than a recommendation to the club or maybe he identified Fletcher as a player he wanted. In which case he'd feel like he has to justify the purchase.

Kev he's only likely to cause problems if played in his proper position, up front. There's little to no chance of him starting ahead of Britt (rightly so imo), so the issue at hand is is he more effective out wide than Fletcher? The answer may still be yes for many, but the Bamford we saw tearing it up in 14/15 was starting as a no 9 for the majority of the season.

Bamford scored goals in the early part of that season playing wide 'in the three' although I would agree with you that his best position is playing through the middle.

You can compare Bamford and Fletcher in every position on the pitch and Bamford comes out on top in my opinion. Monk is no different to most managers in that he has his favourites and he shows preference to his own signings. It seems like Bamford's face just doesn't fit.

People keep saying that but fact is prior to yesterday Bamford and fletcher had both players in 12 league games and Bamford even had more minutes which he still has. He has been given every bit as many chances as fletcher. Monk isn’t favouring Bamford over fletcher. Bamford was on the bench against reading and fletcher was on the bench against hull. Where is the favourism? The difference is Bamford hasn’t delivered so far but Fletcher somewhat has.

I don't think either of them have delivered. Fletcher may have a scored once but his contribution to the team as a whole has been negligible.

A lot of assumptions are being made about Bamford's so called attitude problems.

That's an assumption that they are, in fact, assumptions :P

I imagine some/most accusing him of bad attitude to training probably haven't got a clue about what he does in training. So I'd say the majority are making assumptions based on nothing other than rumour. If somebody does have inside information regarding such a thing then fair enough but it doesn't mean everyone knows. ;)