oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sunderland 1-0 (Tavernier)

You could see at the final whistle how much that meant to the player. Braithwaite jumping in the air pumping his fist. My man of the match. Ayala was again a rock at the back. Game as I feared it would be. Tough match against a battling Sunderland in their first game after their managers sacking. They probably deserved a point but didn’t create much apart from Randolph’s early gift and cattermoles shot.

Have we turned a corner? No not at all. We need to create more and press better. Two weeks now to work on pressing, passing and set pieces. Three things that were a bit off today.

But it’s three wins on the bounce now and only a single goal conceded. If we can build on that after the break then top 2 is very possible.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

3 wins from 3 is a bloody good return up to 5th now

My thoughts exactly - by no means a great performance but I’ll take 9 from 9! UTB!!!

Yeah, I agree.

In fact I didn't think that the performance was TOO bad. Would have been nice to score one or two more. However, having gone ahead we kind of sat back and made them come on to us.

A good performance.... just not excelllent.

The league table looks pretty decent too.

Couldn't give a crap about the performance tbh, was always going to be a tough game as expected Sunderland to have something to prove after sacking Grayson, and they played half decent.

Won 3 in a row, clean sheet. Happy days!

Decidedly underwhelming game.

Boro started brightly and looked as though they might be in the mood to give Sunderland a drubbing, but they droppe dinto 1st gear, midway through the first half and never got out of it (sometimes even going into neutral and reverse).

Sunderland played some good football at times and actually looked the better team for spells.

Would not have complained if this had ended in a draw as I think the visitors deserved something from the game.

Happy we got the 3 points but I certainly don't think we deserved them.

idiotic comment, you obviously know absolutely nothing about football and have embarrassed yourself. 

thoughts on game.......it was an unsurprising scrappy derby game. we got infront and bar one decent freekick and the long shot from ndong that randolph couldnt see due to sun they never troubled us.

we probably should have converted a few more and really should have won by 2 or 3 at least. but 3 point is 3 points and another game were we looked compact and solid, with a large threat going forward. these grinding wins are the way you get promoted,

braithwaite is class btw.

• Like 1

Non event of a second half. To be fair you could tell we have struggled at home and were jittery at times. But at the end of the day scrappy 1-0 wins will get us up so we can't complain. Top 6 and got to consolidate that for now and target top 2 as the season goes on.

Thought Ayala good today and Braithwaite lively but a few others had off days. Shame Christie is out for Leeds.

You could see at the final whistle how much that meant to the player. Braithwaite jumping in the air pumping his fist. My man of the match. Ayala was again a rock at the back. Game as I feared it would be. Tough match against a battling Sunderland in their first game after their managers sacking. They probably deserved a point but didn’t create much apart from Randolph’s early gift and cattermoles shot.

Have we turned a corner? No not at all. We need to create more and press better. Two weeks now to work on pressing, passing and set pieces. Three things that were a bit off today.

But it’s three wins on the bounce now and only a single goal conceded. If we can build on that after the break then top 2 is very possible.

In terms of performance and turning a corner, no! We give a away three set pieces knocking it into touch. Midfield is still static in support and our backs are not settled. What really bugs me is the passing. I was taught to pass at pace and move to receive, I see us pass like the wife in the garden with flip flops on. If we can collect points playing like we are, then we should be untouchable when they decide to play well.

First game I have seen for a few weeks due to working abroad. Typical derby game with the right result but we really need to sort our midfield out because that looks to be our problem area and yes I think Braithwaite looks class along with Christie

That was probably the worst performance of the last 3 games. But it's 3 points, a clean sheet well earned by the keeper and we're back in the top 6. 9 points out of 9 going into the international break, gives us chance to look at how keeping our shape better defensively has helped us and for the love of God improve our passing. Some pretty decent moves ended by a single crap pass today.

Utb....good result and we did what was needed..pressure of a home game is huge especially against a team expected to win. Ok so wasn't the best display but job done

Sunderland turned up but didnt look that bad but again was a derby game. UTB

I'm still not convinced that playing with Downing and Tavernier is helping us as a attacking unit.

If Bamford/Traore/Johnson aren't Monks cup of tea/playing well it's definitely a position that needs looked at in Jan. Along with a cm.

We massively lacked a natural holding midfielder like Clayton. We couldn't play out of defence and build attacks so needlessly gave the ball away far too easily. Leadbitter and Howson both struggled to get onto and keep the ball so the game descended into a messy scrap. Poor performance. Ayala, Gibson and Braithwaite were the standout performers by far.

Sunderland didn't look too bad today, I thought they played better than Reading or Hull. We were poor going forward but I would have laughed if anyone said we would have 9 points in a row after the Cardiff game.

Some set piece and passing drills badly needed over the two week break, dirty Leeds are in bad form but will be more of a test than Sunderland.

I'm still not convinced that playing with Downing and Tavernier is helping us as a attacking unit.

If Bamford/Traore/Johnson aren't Monks cup of tea/playing well it's definitely a position that needs looked at in Jan. Along with a cm.

yes i agree we'd create more with traore on the pitch and downing left. but i actually like downing and christie on that side of the pitch. we look weak on the left. friend out of sorts and an 18 yo infront, although he's done well and won the game for us tav cant be started for much longer. got to protect him.

Sunderland didn't look too bad today, I thought they played better than Reading or Hull. We were poor going forward but I would have laughed if anyone said we would have 9 points in a row after the Cardiff game.

Some set piece and passing drills badly needed over the two week break, dirty Leeds are in bad form but will be more of a test than Sunderland.

BORO made Sunderland look good and allowed them to play. Thankfully they never scored early. The nine points have been a smash a grab and happy for it.